User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #16
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,177
You're one tuff Kiwi. Good on ya.
And thanks for sharing the horrifying story, too. Glad you're back in the saddle!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #17
STefani
Rider of Gigolo

Oddometer: 18
You are truly inspiring! Glad to see you are riding again.
STefani is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #18
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,497
Respect.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Respect.
+1000000

Blair,

You have my utmost respect and admiration. Your story is an inspiration to those that think a (dis)ability is an end to their current life. Keep riding and keep the great attitude. And "Thank You" for sharing your story!

C.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
morena67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
-Thanks for sharing, you've been blessed in many ways. -Great picture with your new leg.!!!

...Ten years ago, I cut myself using the wrong way a power tool: 2 distal falanges, from 2 fingers of my right hand ..., ..., -never mind ...
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
husqvarna
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
An inspiration

What an inspirational storey! - no more moaning about my knee twinges. I think that the way you handled the lack of consequences to someone who profoundly affected your life is also inspirational. Even if the girl had been sentenced to jail time, you'd still be in the same situation physically. Like many mental hits; revenge, grief, disappointment etc, if you can accept that your behaviour is not going to change the physical and practical situation you are a strong person.

I appreciate that it's easier said than done.
husqvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #22
Falconx84
Lurker

Oddometer: 370
Amazing story... Glad to hear you're not down for the count. Wish you the best of luck for the future.

the YouTube video in case anyone had trouble finding it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev-oJ...e_gdata_player
Old 08-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
kabagram
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I just watched your YouTube doc, stumpy.

You and your wife seem like really great people.

Best wishes in all you do.
kabagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #24
birtwistle
n00b

Oddometer: 3
stay strong and keep riding.
I hope the girl was remorseful, if not, i would feel the need for retribution
birtwistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #25
diesel1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy-ktm View Post
i didnt see this thread ... before i posted in the orange crush area ....
on the 3 rd of december 2010 ... i was hit head on at 120kph by a young girl in a stolen car that had its springs cut and different sized wheels on etc etc ...... i saw the car coming , i have been riding for 24 years and road raced for 3 years , i couldnt avoid the crash , i hit thr front and then the windshield , i went straight up and came straight down . when i sat up , i looked down at ehere my right leg should have been ....it was torn off below the knee the tib and fib were splintered and sticking out , my femoral artery was torn and pumping my lifes blood onto the road ..... my right radius arm was broken , my left wrist was shattered , my left leg was broken in 5 places in the tibial plateau , the left femur was split , my left ankle was broken and my big toe was broken as well , i would like to say i was tough and was quiet .... i screamed and screamed ..... i have served 15 years at that point in the new zealand fire and rescue service .... i knew i was about to die ..... something clicked in my head and i thought , stop screaming you fukin idiot , and start saving your self .....i starting yelling at the people standing around for a belt or rope or something to tie my leg off , asked for my helmet to be taken off , i was moving my head around so much , i figured if i had neck injuries i would know already .... got my leg tied off , i talked the young guy thru it , once my leg was tournaqued off i tried to asses my other injuries .... i still thought i was dyin at that stage ... so i got someone to dial my wife and i spoke to her in a way that someone does if they think they are never going to see them again ....not a call i hope anyone on here has to make .....i only passed out in the chopper on the way to the hospital ...... woke up in the ED , then woke up in the ICU ... and found out the damge to my right knee was too much and they had to cut off the rest to about mid thigh ...i was in hosp for 42 days , out for one week back in for 2 weeks due to a staph infection , then out , and a week later i got married to my very strong very awesome wife .... she is a canadian citizen and came to live with me in new zealand , i told her she could leave anytime ... she stayed , i can never thank her enough .
there is a small u-tube doco on me called .....plan b for blair ....if you have a spare 28 mins take a look ,

anyway this seemed like a good place to tell my story .... im back riding and walking , heres some pics ..

God Bless you, Blair. You're a tough Kiwi and you can be proud of your work towards recovery. I know how you feel about being so horribly injured that the very work that served to be such a large part of defining who you are is taken away from you. Here's hoping that your recovery continues to progress to the point where you can find a niche that gives you that feeling of service that you had with the Fire Service.

Here's my own story, as a police officer and EMT, who got hurt on the job and on two wheels: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787391

Cheers and good on you!

diesel1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #26
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,264
I would have just caved. You sir are here on this earth for a purpose. I am trully humbled by your strength.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
Whiskytoast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I'm only 42, but when I grow up; I think I want to be a Kiwi
Whiskytoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
Maverick75
Rat

Oddometer: 73
Blair, inspirational story and good on you for getting back on your feet. Best wishes from across the ditch but it sounds like you don't need it.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #29
Davo-55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
What a remarkable attitude and spirit you have! You are a god among men..
Davo-55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #30
K9XX
Professional Amatuer

Oddometer: 101
Blair, truly amazing story! You and your wife jerked at all the heartstrings in this household. Not a dry eye in the place, great video and story!

Many great fortunes to you and yours in the future!
K9XX is offline   Reply With Quote