ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
duck OP
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Gravel trucks

I usually don't post in PNW but I was lurking over at the PNWR site and stumbled across this link which I found interesting:

http://jeff.henshaw.org/staying-safe...ers-an-open-le
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,214
Best policy is to stay clear of dumps, esp. when they have just left the pit [202 has at least one, iirc] and loose material is still present. Sure, you can point out that operators should follow the law, but staying way back or passing asap is the best defensive policy. How often do most mc's travel next to tractor-trailers? I always drop back or speed up soon as I can; defense is best. Big trucks are esp. dangerous if you're small.

Tailgate seals leak sometimes also, tarping won't help that.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
rkover1
doc

Oddometer: 172
Awesome! My sentiments exactly. I've sent emails to some of these companies, with no reponse from any of them.

Even though I do try to distance myself from these trucks, there's little you can do when they come past you from the opposite direction. I'm tired of getting pummeled with debris as they go past. I wish this guy well.

doc
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
kaptenken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
I'm extra safe, I only ride bikes offroad.If you think writing letters to trucking co's will change anything you probly also think that bimbo in the BMW gives a shit about you and your transportation choices.
If I was to start street riding again I think I would opt for the Harley and cut the strait pipes off right under the footpegs,then you can not only be heard but felt too :)
kaptenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,317
Kind of why I don't commute on mine much anymore. There are some responsible truck drivers, but many are underpaid and just don't give a shit.

Some don't even have CDL's...

The worst thing I saw was a bunch of 6 by 6 beams 2 foot long fall in front of me on the on ramp and I was dam lucky I didn't hit one. That could have been live ending.

Here is my advice when it comes to asshats. Bring a camera (go pro), then post it on all the sites that someone who might purchase gravel from them would look at and send it to the local news company's.

Me I would like to see some results against the asshats that are littering in the woods. I ran across some last weekend still camping and just making a mess. I wanted to just run my truck through their camp ground.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Many years ago I drove dump trucks in joyzee, you didn't even think of operating with an uncovered load, there was very strict enforcement, and most importantly drivers typically were not paid by the load there. Unfortunately here in Washington the construction season is short, forcing companies to use part time drivers that can't get hired on elsewhere full time.
When I was laid off a couple of years ago, I drove dry bulk tankers for Gresham trucking, all the material yards have wheel wash pits and spray racks, overhead walkways with hoses and scrub brushes, there was no excuse for loose debris. From what I have seen all pits also have full facilities for prepping dump trucks for the road. there should be no excuse for uncovered loads.

That said, I'm a city P&D driver in that area, and also ride there often, IMO the person in the link is going way over the top in his "hand scrubbing", I'm on the road 8 to 10 hours a day and rarely see or hear any evidence of stray materials, perhaps the poster just needs to stop tailgating dump trucks. Any fool know you stay back from dump trucks covered or not, flatbeds carrying construction material, or equipment