ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
Near Salem, OR and need some cash? Have a strong back and a weak mind??

Then I have just the job for you.

A disenfranchised member of my family that I can barely tolerate (I divorced her over 20 years ago - if it wasn't for my child's sake I would just leave her alone) got herself into a jam and I am going down to Salem tomorrow to partially help her out of said jam.

What I need is at least one, preferably two strong backs for an undetermined number of hours to move household stuff from one storage room at an apartment complex in Salem to a storage facility in Salem, then consolidate the household goods from a small storage room at the storage facility into a larger room at the same facility.

I have reserved a 24 foot UHaul truck (with ramp and low deck) and an appliance dolly (there is a washer/dryer) in Salem for the day.

This will all start at about 10 to 11 AM tomorrow morning. My budget is limited, so I am proposing $12 per hour per person until the job is done.

I am asking here because maybe there is an inmate or two who desperately needs some cash (no receipt required - cash will be paid) and is willing and able to sweat for some hours tomorrow. I can only do very limited lifting due to back injuries, but I will be doing what I can.

Otherwise I will be going down to the mission and offering the job there.

Sorry about the short notice, but I only learned about this today.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Well, it was worth a try.

I will be leaving for Salem in an hour or so, if someone is willing and able and can make it in time, PM me with contact info and I will get an email from the PM on my smartphone.

THanks.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
Mista Vern
Knows all - tells some.

Oddometer: 14,961
Man, what a butally hot day to be doing that stuff - hope it worked out OK for ya.

Emily Bronte
Mista Vern is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Damn missed my calling
Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
johnny2k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Dang.. I was too late. I would have helped. If you need help in the future let me know. Good luck!
johnny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Then I have just the job for you.

I am proposing $12 per hour per person until the job is done.
Good luck finding some help. I recently relocated (am still in the process of moving) to Idaho from Oregon and could of used some strong backs more than once. With the minimum wage at only $7,25 in Idaho and supposedly so many people out of work , I figured I could easily find some Labors since I was willing to pay $10 per hour cash money. Put the word out and figured I would have to turn people away. What a joke, no one was interested in my offer. People want money, but don't want to have to work for it.

Finally found a large and strong high school kid through our church that did work for me for two days and helped with the unloading of the two storage containers I used for moving my shop stuff. To make sure he would stay and work, I had pop and cookies on site, took lots of breaks and took him out to and bought him lunch. To his credit, he did work hard and did come back for the second day. Best $200 (with lunch and snacks) I spent, Saved my back and saved me a lot of work.

Was talking to this young mans father (who is a local leader in our church and would know) about the work and he mentioned that I was paying far more than many of the adults in our church made that were lucky enough to even have a job. Yet he was unable to explain why there was so little interest in my offer. Like I said, it appears to me that people don't want to work for an honest wage anymore when they can have money handed to them. Glad I have a strong wife as we have been able to handle most of the moving on our own. Our adult son that lives in our old home town has also been a big help on that end.

Again good luck finding helpers to take you up on your offer. Even if I was in your area, I would not be interested, but then I have marketable skills and can (and do) earn many time that per hour without the physical back breaking work and I don't need the extra money.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

Thanks guys. This was a last minute thing - a bit of an intervention (going down hill real quick).

I was lucky enough to ask my brother who lives in the area if he had any ideas and he found me two young workers (college age and hungry for work) who were strong and able - strange to be called "sir".

They did a good job once we got going. I couldn't have done it myself - besides the heavy stuff, I was literally dizzy from the heat and from being out of shape. I went and got them some Gatorade.

Gotta hit it again today because the person we were moving was being difficult and delayed the whole process for hours.

May have to go at it again next weekend - but the young guys are available then too.

Yes, it was brutal yesterday - on the way home on I-5 the ambient temp gauge on my car showed 108! Arrgh! It felt cool in the shade when I got home - it was only 101 there. Inside the house it was in the 80s - a little bit of shade and a well insulated house helps a lot. Turned on the air conditioner once I got home.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,730
As someone who *has* worked doing manual labor in the last decade; minimum wage is for people who work in service and receive tips, commission, or bonuses. It is not a barometer for what a fair wage is for real, hard work being done by adults.

Thinking that you "need to pay lazy kids too much money to get any help" is something your grandparents said about your generation; because you wanted more than a dollar a day to dig a ditch.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
CodeMonkee OP
Geek Adventurer

I worked for minimum wage (or a little above) for about the first ten years of my adult life. I worked very hard for that, and I have never gotten tip one or commission or anything. That was when min wage was about $2.50/hr

I supported a family on that.

Both "kids" I hired were very happy with the pay I gave them (I actually gave them a bit more than $12 because they worked hard and did a good job - better than the older "adults" who I paid almost 3 times as much for to move my stuff out of my place in Seattle. I think it is less about age than it is about character and ethic.