Oddometer: 640
+1

I believe the fuel flow cools the pump.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #7517
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,318
Wouldn't it be simpler to install a switch? Pulling the fuse and re-installing it often will weaken the spring in the contacts and you will eventually have a high resistance short.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #7518
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,171
Replaced my oil tank sight tube today. The first one started leaking at about 20K+ miles. The first replacement (looked same as original) made it about the same mileage (pushing 50K on the bike now). The one I just bought a couple weeks ago has clear tubing where the others were somewhat opaque. I hope this is the new/improved tubing.

FWIW, the tube had two vertical splits in it: one on each fitting where the tube is stretched over the barbs. What was interesting was that they were perfectly in line, so I'm betting it was the side next to the tank because it gets hottest there.

It was a 10 minute operation with no loss of oil. A minor price to pay for the fun of riding the bike. Heading to WV/VA tomorrow for three days of twisty goodness. Staying at the Blackwater Falls State Park with a bunch of (mostly) Triumph riders for the annual "Euro Rider Rendezvous" gathering.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #7519
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 684
Garry

What's the part number on that tube?

Thx
Jason
Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #7520
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_big View Post
Garry

What's the part number on that tube?

Thx
Jason
The number on the parts bag is 61038084100

"OIL RISING PIPE CPL"

Garry
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #7521
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 684
Heading South Next Weekend

Hey all,

I'm heading down to the Appalachians on August 11th, so if there are any SM buddies who I can hook up with for a beer on the way, I'd love to meet up.

I'll be with two buddies and we'll all be riding touring bikes (review bikes for the mag I write for) so I probably won't be able to keep up with you guys, but I'll try, I'll try.

Not sure of the route we'll be taking but it'll probably take in a chunk of I79 to I77 through WV, if there's anyone in the neighbourhood.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 08-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #7522
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
seat concepts foam and cover. stapled it myself.

eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #7523
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSONG View Post
seat concepts foam and cover. stapled it myself.

Looks good, esong
Old 08-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #7524
eSONG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Looks good, esong
Thanks Keith! Glad you posted about the seat here. Good price and fast turn around too.
eSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #7525
clay
CLAY JUSTICE

Oddometer: 49
2006 950sm gas tank for sale

I sold my 2006 950 sm last nite for 6250.00 and now i have a new gas tank to sell.
I figured 375.00 obo would be a pretty good deal.it is new and was sent from ktm north america for me to use until my new one came in .
anybody?

thanks,clay
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #7526
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
I sold my 2006 950 sm last nite for 6250.00 and now i have a new gas tank to sell.
I figured 375.00 obo would be a pretty good deal.it is new and was sent from ktm north america for me to use until my new one came in .
anybody?

thanks,clay
PM sent to you Clay!

This is great news for me.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #7527
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,865
Continuing problems

Interesting thread over in OC
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814817

If you recall, I posted a couple weeks ago that with mine, it overheated on the way home from a ride. It would climb through 5 bars, the fan would go on and it just went to 6 and then 7 bars if I let it. No hint of anything until it just started happening. Fortunately, it started acting up about 12 miles from home, so I was able to ride about a mile or two, turn it off for 10 minutes, ride another 1-2 miles, etc.. Again, no hint of anything, and the oil pressure light was not going on.

Subsequent inspection showed the water pump failed hard. The pump has been replaced but the bike is still overheating and getting oil in the water, but there's no white exhaust smoke. The shop is thinking head gaskets, but I suggested checking with KTM tech support, which they said they'd do tomorrow.

I'll post whatever happens.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #7528
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Still Overheating

That sounds very familiar. My friends bike did the same. If the oil you are seeing is not a milky mix in the bottle and looks pretty fresh floating on top, it probably a head gasket. My thought is that after a certain temp, it pops a head gasket.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #7529
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Interesting thread over in OC
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814817

If you recall, I posted a couple weeks ago that with mine, it overheated on the way home from a ride. It would climb through 5 bars, the fan would go on and it just went to 6 and then 7 bars if I let it. No hint of anything until it just started happening. Fortunately, it started acting up about 12 miles from home, so I was able to ride about a mile or two, turn it off for 10 minutes, ride another 1-2 miles, etc.. Again, no hint of anything, and the oil pressure light was not going on.

Subsequent inspection showed the water pump failed hard. The pump has been replaced but the bike is still overheating and getting oil in the water, but there's no white exhaust smoke. The shop is thinking head gaskets, but I suggested checking with KTM tech support, which they said they'd do tomorrow.

I'll post whatever happens.
Sorry to hear that Walter. Keep us posted. I recently had a brand new OEM radiator with the upgraded fan switch installed. While the bike rarely now gets to 5 bars, I have some coolant escaping somewhere on the right side. It is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from, possibly one of the clamps/hose connections, I don't know how well the shop burped it so I will try that on my own but am pretty frustrated that this is happening after I spent an ungodly amount getting a laundry list of things done recenlty. the good news is the bike is running well overall. My carbs were way out of sync and I had a bad fitting BMC air filter that needed some custom cajoling to get it to seal properly.

Deos anyone else have a mystery coolant leak. It is not getting in my oil. I now have a CJ designs clutch cover so I can see when the waterpump fails (again). If so, what have you determined it to be? I am not losing much, so it seems like it is getting presurized out somehow, and tends to happen more during "high speed" runs, which with me is anytime I go on the highway.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #7530
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
...While the bike rarely now gets to 5 bars, I have some coolant escaping somewhere on the right side. It is hard to pinpoint where it is coming from, possibly one of the clamps/hose connections,
...Deos anyone else have a mystery coolant leak. ...
I had one a few months ago-- there was a pinhole in the weld of where the where the radiator hose connects to the radiator. Never lost much coolant or overheated, I just kept noticing blue specks/streaks (I use Honda 50/50 premix coolant which is medium blue in color) on the lower right side of the engine. I had it brazed by a local radiator shop.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote