Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #91
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballheadknuckle View Post
Maybe your dealer also wants to make some money by selling a painted windscreen thats styled like the one on the worldcrosser concept bike ;)
Don't know, don't you think this could be a very small market?

Quote:
I really like the modded rear on that bike :)
Yeah, I'm pleased how is looking but I must solve how to fix the plate holder properly.
Work in progress...

jaumev screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 04:14 AM
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #92
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Probably, but it looks cool

The modified rear on cantanese's rally bike also looks really clean, on that bike the number plate is tucked in directly below the rear lights: http://www.motorbox.com/moto/yamaha-...t/immagini/p/6

With your small spanish number plate that may also work with the dual exhausts.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #93
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Probably, but it looks cool

The modified rear on cantanese's rally bike also looks really clean, on that bike the number plate is tucked in directly below the rear lights: http://www.motorbox.com/moto/yamaha-...t/immagini/p/6

With your small spanish number plate that may also work with the dual exhausts.
Ummm ... don't know... this painted windscreen is the only part of this nice bike I'm not sure I like it...

About te license plate. The problem could be that in Spain this small number plate is allowed only for trial and enduro bikes, I don't think is legal in the S10. I need to convince the police this is a BIG enduro bike….

Comparing with a race bike like Catanese’s, to be road legal needs to have a support for the blinkers, the reflector and the light for the plate. I’m using a license plate holder for the Yamaha XJ6 and it can hold also big plates in case the small one is not legal.
By now is not properly fixed, hope next week I have the finish dual exhaust so I can fix all together, my only concern are if the blinkers fits under the exhaust, I hope so.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:01 AM   #94
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Oddometer: 544
Quote:

Yeah, I'm pleased how is looking but I must solve how to fix the plate holder properly.
Work in progress...

This has to be the best thread on the whole site! Beautiful, a work of art.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #95
Tee Dee Mmm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Here it is the bash plate first prototype.

I've already talk about it in the general Super Ténéré thread:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....stcount=12584]

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....ostcount=12652

Bash plate crash test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuW8Mo6Od4Q#ws
Hi I love the look of the Prototype bash plate and agree that the frame is the ultimate mounting point but I just feel that in an impact from the front of the plate the front mount will still allow the plate to be driven back into the engine because of the flex in the alloy plate where it mounts to the frame / cylinder mount plate -
I wonder id it would be more secure if it was instead mounted to both the stock side crash mount points??

Still I do love the look of it!

Cheers Rick
Tee Dee Mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #96
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxstdawg View Post
This has to be the best thread on the whole site! Beautiful, a work of art.
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm View Post
Hi I love the look of the Prototype bash plate and agree that the frame is the ultimate mounting point but I just feel that in an impact from the front of the plate the front mount will still allow the plate to be driven back into the engine because of the flex in the alloy plate where it mounts to the frame / cylinder mount plate -
I wonder id it would be more secure if it was instead mounted to both the stock side crash mount points??

Still I do love the look of it!

Cheers Rick
I'm agree with you.
This afternoon I take again the bike to the manufacturer to see how to reinforce the plate and avoid it could move back.
They look at the crash mount points and I don't remember why they decided not to use them. I will ask again.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #97
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

This week I pick my bike from ACD headquarters.
The skid plate is not finished, they think in three weeks they could have the second prototype that probably is going to be the definitive.
They said the crash test I did was very good to understand the weak point of the plate, in fact they where some marks where the plate hits the sump (it wasn’t a foam) so this helps to redesign the bottom part of the plate.
I was with them lot of time, they show me how difficult is the design of such a big plate to a very heavy bike without frame under the engine, now I understand why it takes so long, it was very interesting.
Looking my crash test video (they said I’m crazy ) they also considered the option to build a sub-frame but finally they redesign most of the plate, adding a steel frame on the back witch is going to add lot of rigidity and some folding to the same purpose on the bottom part of the plate. They are convinced this is going to be enough even to me…. . The drawings look very good.
I asked them why they don’t use the crash bars supports, and they sow me why, its difficult to explain, but basically it ads lot of material and complicates a lot the manufacture for no much improvement.
They change the square box to the oil filter with I don’t like much for a circular one that it looks better. They are also looking for a different side holes design.
So, I hope in two or three weeks I can have the new one and I show you.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #98
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Busy week. Last Friday I collect the new prototype. They improve the heat protectors and the alignment whit the bike. The full set is improving, it looks great and the sound is very nice, but still need finished some few things to be ready to production. The problem is they are very busy in the factory with other projects and next month they have some holidays.
They said in September must be ready. They don’t know the price until they have a first proper production….

These are the latest pics. The pipes still hand welded.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #99
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finally I’ve finished the modded rear of the bike. It gives me much more work than I expected but I like the result.
The led OEM blinkers didn’t fit with the dual exhaust so I fix some Rizoma, small and bright led ones.
The legislation in Spain is a bit confuse about the number plate size. You can use a small plate for enduro bikes, I hope I can convince the police the S10 is a enduro bike if they stop me… but I can also put the big plate.
I’m curious to see what is going to happen with lot of mud… I keep the original mudguard in case…

jaumev screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 03:32 PM
Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 AM   #100
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Doing my annual big bike cleanning I've found lot of dirt in the ABS box, I would like to find a way to try to avoid the mud in this place... The GSA was the same, lot of electric parts under the seat where all the mud comes from the rear wheel

After looking several options I ended putting a rigid plastic filling the gap between the sub frame and the OEM mud guard. I hope it works.
Some pics

jaumev screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 02:57 AM
Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #101
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

I’m trying installing an aluminium grill in the radiator air intake to avoid leaves and dirt. Once I did it I was ready to use the same grill to the rest of holes… I don’t know yet if I’m going to paint it black or leave with its natural colour.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #102
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
I did my clutch mod (with switch, relay and LED) about 3 weeks ago and LOVE it - can't wait for situations where I need to go down to 2nd and 3rd gear! I'm enjoying my bike again and have decided against getting the Triumph Explorer...

I spoke to one of the Yamaha Technical guys here in SA and he tested the mod on his S10 as well and was astounded by the positive change to the bikes character - he has emailed Japan to enquire about the mod.... not holding my breath...
Quote:
Please tell us the response from Japan, but I can imagine it.....
They seem very impressed.....

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #103
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

OMG! Did you see that grammar mistake in line 4!? What a doofus.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:31 AM   #104
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
OMG! Did you see that grammar mistake in line 4!? What a doofus.
The proper term would be "Baka"

Japanese for fool, doufus, idiot, dumbass, stupid...... I lived in Japan for two years.
As with any language, I can only remember the bad stuff.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #105
jaumev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

VERY, VERY IMPRESSED!!

Quote:
The proper term would be "Baka"

Japanese for fool, doufus, idiot, dumbass, stupid...... I lived in Japan for two years.
As with any language, I can only remember the bad stuff.

Yeah that’s what they think when we do mods in their bikes.

In a recent World Crosser test I was there with my slightly moded bike, most of the Spanish Yamaha team where looking my bike, curious, asking about the differences I’ve fount between the ST and the GSA, etc.… but his Japanese boss didn’t show any interest at all, the only thing he said in all this time was: the GS are not good for off road several times: hermetic.