Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #5251
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPainter View Post
Excellent write up, and great photos! I can guess, based roughly on miles, number of days and start stop hours, but how fast do figure your average speed was. Also, you had respectable pile of gear on your bike, how did it handle? Anything youd change in your set up, or was it about right?

Super write up!
Thanks! It is hard to estimate my average speed - particularly through the long and steep hilly sections where I slowed down somewhat. Generally speaking, in the 90km/hr (56 mph) zones (i.e., Trans-Canada Highway 17) I was trying to keep my speed to around 100km/hr (62 mph) indicated. This was quite easy to maintain on the CBR150R. This was the speed I was riding at with the V-strom riders for one leg of the trip. They didn't want to ride faster than that. And at times they were still falling behind. On the secondary highways with 80km/hr (50 mph) posted speed limits I tried to keep it between 90-95km/hr. I really didn't want to ride any faster. In fact - I was quite happy with my pace - I wasn't holding up any traffic. In fact - I passed quite a number of vehicles going my direction. It felt like a nice relaxed pace.

Also regarding average speed - I was stopping every hour or so for fuel and of course that eats up time. And I stopped a lot for photos and that eats up time too. So it is hard to judge.

The bike handled great with all the gear. There were no situations where I felt the bike pogo-ing, or otherwise revealing any strange handling quirks at any point. It seemed really well balanced on the bike. And most of my gear doesn't weigh much. Still - I made sure to pack the heavier items down low in the saddlebags - and lighter items in the tailbag.

At the end, I wrote about what I would keep and what I might change. For the most part - this is a pretty solid setup. I've found a way to secure my Ortlieb tailbag that is a little uncoventional - but attaches very solidly and connects rather quickly. Before discovering this new way of securing my tailbag - I was a bit frustrated with the time it took me to attach it. I even recently purchased a GIVI E55 Maxia top box - to facilitate packing up the bike quicker. I still plan to use the Givi in the future - but now with my new system in place with the Ortlieb tailbag - it isn't as crucial. I also mentioned finding a sleeping bag that is a bit smaller. As mentioned in my report - I've found one. So I intend to use it in the future to free up some additional space in my tailbag. That is about it. My setup really seems quite solid. I find myself only making incremental changes here and there. I absolutely love my Icon Urban magnetic tankbag too. I don't believe I talked much about it in the trip report. It can hold so MUCH stuff. And just when you think one of the pockets won't hold an item - it manages to swallow it up. If the Icon tankbag were waterproof - I would never need another tankbag. I've recently purchased a Kriega US20 waterproof pack - to use as a tankbag for my WR250R. I'm sure it will work great. But it lacks pockets. I guess that is where I stand right now with my setup!

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 02:56 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #5252
oldgringo
Jacked it all

Oddometer: 143
Minimalist touring Peru

Ron's Yamaha YB 125 in the Andes

Mavila Cavalry in Peru

oldgringo screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 05:34 PM
oldgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #5253
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
Couple pics from Going to the Sun Highway. There is a bike in both pics, just hard to see.

All my other photos ended up being way overexposed. Not sure why, never had the issue before.

Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #5254
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,175
Thats amazing
Old 08-05-2012, 01:21 AM   #5255
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
OHMIGOD

Must do soon!

That is fantastic.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #5256
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
The TU250 seems about perfect, but I wish it had a 6 speed
I think lots of folks get hung up on wanting a 6-speed tranny. I agree some bikes need one, but not all. The DR-Z400S does. The DR650SE doesn't. Do TU250 owners complain about the lack of 6th? It may not be an issue.

jon_l screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 03:21 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #5257
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
I started a thread about my Idaho mosey over in ride reports. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #5258
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
went for a little 30 mile run yesterday around Silverwood Lake here in southern California

On the little TLR200

taking a break by the stream

a little ways away from the lake working my way back toward it

saw what I am 99% sure was a California Condor that at one point flew with in about 15feet of me..looked like a GIANT vulture with some white on its wings.

and the wonderful drive home on the dreaded socal freeways

JeffS77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #5259
Garak
Still wearing pants.

Oddometer: 266
Well, I've been following this thread since it started (before I was an inmate even) and figured I'd finally subscribe. I inadvertently turned my DR650 into a project bike last weekend and am seriously considering a TW200 for my next faithful companion. I've been jonesing for a small bike since I met Klay on my last big adventure and have always been a fan of TWs. Anyway, nothing to contribute at the moment, just thought I'd say hi!

My LinkedIn Profile

Garak screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 10:10 AM Reason: spelling
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #5260
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,400
Howdy, good to hear from you.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #5261
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycomm View Post
I keep thinking that I want a "classic" styled bike. I started out thinking I wanted a Triumph Scrambler. I'm sure it is a fine bike, but it seems a little heavy and gets marginal gas mileage. The TU250 seems about perfect, but I wish it had a 6 speed. I've always liked the SuperSherpa, but it may be too similar to my DRZ, and is more modern looking. I've occasionally considered a Ryca Savage conversion. Classic looks for sure, but a little unknown on the handling and longevity. And it would cost a bit more than I want to spend. I've also considered "scrambling" a Nighthawk 250. The bike will be used for commuting (25 miles each way - highway), around town, and back road running. I am rationalizing a third bike because my stepson shows occasional interest in riding, and he's getting too big to ride as a passenger on my Vstrom. Plus small bikes are cool.

Anyone here had a chance to ride any of these, and willing to make a comparison.
If it had a 6spd = it wouldn't pull it.
I've got one and all I did was go 1 up on the front sprocket and 2 down on the rear = made the bike much more usable.
My comment about it not pulling a 6th gear is simply because...if I were to re-do my gearing again, I'd have gone up 1 in front and let the rear alone. (it has a hard enough time pulling what I have now and will do 70mph in fourth with 5th acting like an overdrive...that it barely pulls with in any wind or up grades above 60mph.)

The TU has a little engine that LOVES to spin up. (and I wouldn't trade my bike for any other 250!)

Ps. 14,000 trouble free miles now!
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #5262
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I started a thread about my Idaho mosey over in ride reports. -al
Well Where is the link
Old 08-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #5263
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 181
Overnighter at Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest

Hello all,

This was my first overnight trip on my 09 Super Sherpa. I've done multi-day trips on a couple of other bikes I own, a KLR650 and a DL650A Adventure, so taking off for the overnighter was no big deal, except that the Sherpa is small, low on the displacement scale, and delivers less than 15 hp at the crank, from what I know.

Here she is, loaded and red-to-go:

I knew the bike would be fine mechanically, I bought it new in 2010 for my wife, who wasn't interested in it. I let it sit around for a year, starting it occasionally and giving my granddaughter rides on it. Last year, I decided to use it to run around town, to the hardware store, grocery store, etc. It was comfortable, zippy, and turned out to be real fun! The seat was terrible for longer rides so I replaced the foam and cover with a Seat Concepts kit. What a difference! I was taking longer rides now, up to 6~7 hours... Loads of fun!

I had a TCI rack and Cortech bags set-up on the KLR, and replaced it with HT SU Racks and panniers, so I had the Cortech sitting around, and luckily, a fellow inmate had HT SU racks off a wrecked Sherpa for sale. I put the racks on my Sherpa, along with a new top rack from HT and mounted the Cortech's. Since there was no bottom support for the Cortech bags, I wondered how well they would work. They worked great! Here's a picture from the rear, all thats missing is the "WIDE LOAD" signage!

I didn't intend on Gifford Pinchot Nat'l Forest as my destination until about 1 hour before leaving. Was going to go into the Olympic Nat'l Forest, but I've been there a bunch, and frankly, I needed a change of scenery. I printed the GPNF MVUM, which took forever, but at least I would be legal.

2 hours and 15 minutes after leaving, I was in Randle WA at Fischers Market getting last minute grub. Even though I had already packed enough food on the bike, I had a hankerin' for Idahoan brand instant spuds... Had to settle for Betty Crocker though, and hers ain't so good... Picked up a map and a NW Forest Pass, fueled up across the street, 1.2 gallons/99 miles...

I went in on FR23 and it wasn't long before I came to a gravel road and left the pavement. Came to a trail called 275 Kraus Ridge. Nice looking single track, I thought, why not? The Sherpa is definitely not my KLX250, but this little bike took me right up that trail, handled great in everything but the super sandy spots, and even though I smacked the bags on everything along the way, it did everything I asked it to, and it never complained! I did take video of the trail with my Contour camera, I need to trim it down, and perhaps I'll post it here, later...

Here's the video:

I ended up at North Fork campground, and paid a lot for the spot (18.00). It wasn't till I was bedded down and reading the MVUM carefully that I realized this whole area was okay for dispersed camping. Oh well, had running water at the edge of my site, and a pooper across the road. It was a very nice campground though, and in the end, I would pay the same again.

Here is the site I stayed at:

Here's a list of what I took with me on the trip:

Sleep Cell Sleeping Bag from Costco
Eureka Chrysalis Hammock
A-Lite Monarch Chair
Thermarest Trail Scout Pad
Kolpin 1.5 Gallon Fuel Can
Tire Tools
Mini Air Compressor
Patch Kit
Spare Front Tube
Space Blanket
Sm First Aid
DeLorme GPS with SPOT Communicator
DeLorme Atlas
GPNF MVUM

Variety of food, 2 oranges, 2apples, 4 pkg instant grits, instant coffee, powdered milk, granola bars, instant mashed taters, precooked packet rice, packet aloo muttar, packet chana masala, tuna packet and cookset, tiny butane/propane mix cooker, personal hygiene and butt-wipe and a variety of other odds and ends. Oh yeah, 6 liters of water, water purifier, shorts, tee shirt and flip-flops. Forgot, 1 emergency MRE and a Gerber folding shovel... Geeze!

I know, long list of stuff, but I included it because I was amazed at how much I was able to bring along... I figure I could have stayed out for at least 3 days, and hell, I should have since my bride was cranky when I got home!

Here are the last of the pics:

Tower Mountain

Mount Adams, I think... someone please verify.

Cispus River???

Mount Rainier

Mount Adams.

The Super Sherpa performed flawlessly. I ran as fast as 65 mph on the interstate, but mostly stayed at 40 to 55. She pulled up the hills at WOT carrying the load and my fat 225 geared up butt without skipping a beat, and she ran the trail like a mountain goat! Definitely a GREAT BIKE!

Just about 300 miles on 4.15 gallons of fuel, 72 1/4 miles per gallon. What a cheap weekend!

I had a lot of fun doing this, and am looking forward to doing more. If anyone cares to join in, get in touch. I know it would make my wife happy if I stopped doing this stuff alone!

Cheers!

Rey & Vann screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 04:10 PM Reason: Added video
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #5264
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
Rey & Van,

Nice setup you have. I need to find some side racks & get my bikes set up for camping. Who needs an RV???
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #5265
Nomomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Nice report Rey. Looks like you packed everything you needed and then some. I'm hoping to do part of Washington's WABDR and you inspire me to get it done with my CRF230L.