Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #13906
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
there was then something like a label or something that seemed to be stuck in the threads ?
Mine did the same. That sticker had the adjustment lines on it.
Now it's gone, so long as you keep the adjuster lubed (I use a teflon type spray) and know where you are on the scale, I just do it by number of turns in or out. If fact, I think it helps to wind it all the way in and (almost) all the way out every so often to keep it all moving freely. If you don't do that it'll seize solid.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #13907
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
tool tube looks to be attached to the luggage rack
With bog standard "P" clips. He's lucky to find the tubes on the pannier frames at just the right distance apart. I'm currently trying to figure out how to mount my tool tube to the SWmotech frames which are completely different.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #13908
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
How big of a concern is the passenger pegs cracking frames in easy drops in all seriousness? I am looking to add an 800xc to the garage as an off road bike, but that issues concerns me a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Joe
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:27 AM   #13909
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
How big of a concern is the passenger pegs cracking frames in easy drops in all seriousness? I am looking to add an 800xc to the garage as an off road bike, but that issues concerns me a bit.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Joe
I dropped mine hard in a slippery ford just the other weekend and nothing got broken. I went down "like a sack of spuds".
The things that touched down where :-
Crashbars, Triumph accessory ones.
Handlebars. The 1050 Tiger hand guards got scratched.
Rear footrest.
and..
The givi latch on the pannier frame.
There was paint missing on the OE crashbars and some of the slippery slime on the rear footrest. I had to drag the bike out (with help) because the surface under water was so slippery I could hardly stand up to pick the bike up.
I think you've got to be unlucky for the rear peg to touch down that hard on something. Of course it could happen but then it could also break several other bits as well. And, maybe, the pannier frames acted like crash bars. etc. etc. I like to think that Triumph designed the crash bars to be effective in keeping the rear pegs off the ground so long as that ground is level.....maybe!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:58 AM   #13910
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 761
Anyone know how to reset the scheduled maintenance counter? Changed oil last night and tried to reset/changed it but couldn't get anywhere.

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #13911
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,820
You can do this with DealerTool.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #13912
PirateDunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
With bog standard "P" clips. He's lucky to find the tubes on the pannier frames at just the right distance apart. I'm currently trying to figure out how to mount my tool tube to the SWmotech frames which are completely different.
Don't bother. I have the Motech frames and have a home made tool tube made up from some 90mm pvc pipe with some drain pipe clamps. On both sides of the rear subframe there are some plastic blanks into 6mm threaded holes in the frame. The perfect place to mount a tube, also makes it look like a twin zorst set up. With the 90mm pipes my tube squishes a bit and sits under the removable frames.
PirateDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #13913
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,287
Quote:

Thoughts?

Thanks
Joe

I wouldn't choose it for an 'offroad bike'. There are many better choices.
For one, it's at least 150lbs too heavy. It doesn't have the suspension for it either

IMO the Tiger is a terrific road bike that has been setup as an adventure bike, with capabililties to go off pavement. Like dirt roads. To me, 'offroad' means trail riding. I wouldn't never consider it as an offroad motorbike.

Maybe it's just terminology.

If your focus is dirt look at KTM690, the new Husky650 replacement for the 630, or go with something even lighter, like KTM 500/525/530/450 EXC's. Or Husky TE449/511.

The lack of subframe thing is a poor design IMO, but not a deal breaker. I don't drop road bikes. If I do it's a real crash, and you just have to fix what you break.

If you know you're going to be dropping it then the fix for the rear pegs is to cut them off and insert sacraficial connectors inside the tubes. Most of the pannier rack systems attach to them so that kind of negates that solution as well.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #13914
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:

Thoughts?

Thanks
Joe
It's not a concern. Funilly not a concern for 1200gs either
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #13915
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
It's not a concern. Funilly not a concern for 1200gs either
The R1200GS has a subframe so it wouldn't be that big of a problem anyways as you can replace the subframe independently.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #13916
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
The reason why i am not looking at the husky or ktm is i want a bike that has decent to good wind protection. I plan on riding hundreds of miles of road/dirt...sometimes 300+ miles of road to get to the dirt. It wont be hardcore off road..more like harder fire roads and double track. I personally feel a 800gs or xc will do the job fantastic. I like the xc more for reliability but the peg frame breaking issue caught my attention.
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #13917
internalcombust
Yes its dirty, thanks.

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
The reason why i am not looking at the husky or ktm is i want a bike that has decent to good wind protection. I plan on riding hundreds of miles of road/dirt...sometimes 300+ miles of road to get to the dirt. It wont be hardcore off road..more like harder fire roads and double track. I personally feel a 800gs or xc will do the job fantastic. I like the xc more for reliability but the peg frame breaking issue caught my attention.
It does this ^ very well. Perfect for it actually.
internalcombust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #13918
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Mine did the same. That sticker had the adjustment lines on it.
Now it's gone, so long as you keep the adjuster lubed (I use a teflon type spray) and know where you are on the scale, I just do it by number of turns in or out. If fact, I think it helps to wind it all the way in and (almost) all the way out every so often to keep it all moving freely. If you don't do that it'll seize solid.
My thoughts too...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #13919
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:

I added another clip to the one on the right and another tool tube underneath attached with 2 pipe clamps (Jubilee Clips to you...)
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #13920
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Be careful about putting too much weight in a tool tube mounted by the tabs, they can rip off. Also, brake cleaner will take that yellow paint right off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post

I added another clip to the one on the right and another tool tube underneath attached with 2 pipe clamps (Jubilee Clips to you...)
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote