Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #46
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
The rev range goes from 0 - 180km/h on the Honda. Why would you run out of rev range? Isn't this just another one of those ride it like a Harley and it will work things. It has a spread of about 3:1 very useable rev range.

Secondly if it doesn't have 3.5 Giga Watts of power maybe it won't run as fast as the others and therefore the suspension travel will be less of an issue.

Why would it be less tough than a V-Strom 650? Any insights on that one?
Are you suggesting that rev range used only in reaching top speeds?
How about overtakes on twisties? How about going in 2nd for 20 km because 3rd too fast and 1st too short? I never believe you did not experience that. What I am saying - or you work through shifts very actively or you run out of range.
I mean - I ran out of rpm range on my previous bike all the time and it was 6500 redline and same or tad more power.
It is annoying when you are trying to squeeze past 45 years old bus on mountain road and sorry - you can't do it in 4th and you can't keep climbing in 2nd after him for miles. I am not saying it is everyone's approach.

Vstrom also do not have 3.5 giga watts :) but sufficient and more than my previous bike by far, but I was walking all over him on my 1991 modified (suspension) Suzuki DR800 on badly or considerable damaged road and gravel roads - everywhere. We swapped bikes and I started to struggle. 220 kg bike when suspension bottoms out first in front is so scary...front wheel drops into pothole up to axle deep sometimes and you feel you about to perform stoppy because there is not enough travel to go over pothole ridge and not enough power and skill to ride like really good riders almost on rear wheel...
After test ride I got impression 35 bhp is enough to upset this suspension 10 times over leave alone 55 with solid torque. It is purely road short travel very very basic cheapo suspension because bike designed to do what it designed to do. I am not saying I know it all, just sharing "sample" of situation.

About less tough - I seen crashed NC just last week at dealer. I don't like to look at crashed bikes, but this one - owner was fine and spill was minor. Lowside but on rough road.
Engine cover LHS and plastic panel in front of it - goners. But mostly - all footpegs assembly sheared etc.
At same time my friend just so goddamn good at dropping his Strom....2 times in front of me, next month on his own, next month again he always overbraking. And I get to fix it
I am impressed how that thing just need to be bent back each time (except brake and gear change pedals - they suck).
After working on many bikes making protection and preparing them I can assure you by looking at actual bike in real live I can tell quite a lot what will break and what not. I even laying them down usually to see what touches first etc. Did not do it with NC, but looked for all details.

To be honest - I am first of all guilty of heavily modifying "unsuitable" bikes for tough conditions, so I probably have to right to make face and say "oh, but don;t do it!"
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #47
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,999
Oh Sorry, I thought everyone may have figured out it's in no way intended to be a DAKAR racer.

My mistake.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 AM   #48
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Look up higher in thread. And it is posted in Beasts. It is road bike. I was suggesting that this bike is no Dakar racer...

Does Dakar take place on excellent paved roads of French Alps? You have to do overtakes there too...

Sorry...could not resist.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #49
670cc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Yes, I have ridden one

It's amazing how this thread got to page 4 and barely anyone answered the original poster's question: Has anyone ridden one of these yet? Everyone has there opinion of what it might or might not be able to do, but most have not even ridden one.

I've put 50 miles on dealer demo DCT NC700x's, and 400 miles on the manual transmission NC700X that I bought a week ago. The DCT works very well for a computer controlled transmission, but the manual version was more to my liking.

It is a fun bike to ride, with a great engine and very good street bike handling. It balances extremely well at low speeds. I really like it. The only "sore" spot I've found is the seat may need an upgrade at some point, but I'll give it a chance.

Gas mileage from the first tank run in very conservative riding style was 77.5 MPG.

I see this bike as a great commuter, local back roads play bike, and a weekend day trip machine. I'd say it's a modern day Universal Japanese Motorcycle with adventure bike clothing. The market surely needs this right now. The fact that it just looks like an adventure bike does not necessarily promise that it is one or that it ever claimed to be one.

Greg
670cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #50
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
Yes, I have ridden one
Greg

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #51
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
It's amazing how this thread got to page 4 and barely anyone answered the original poster's question: Has anyone ridden one of these yet? Everyone has there opinion of what it might or might not be able to do, but most have not even ridden one.

I've put 50 miles on dealer demo DCT NC700x's, and 400 miles on the manual transmission NC700X that I bought a week ago. The DCT works very well for a computer controlled transmission, but the manual version was more to my liking.

It is a fun bike to ride, with a great engine and very good street bike handling. It balances extremely well at low speeds. I really like it. The only "sore" spot I've found is the seat may need an upgrade at some point, but I'll give it a chance.

Gas mileage from the first tank run in very conservative riding style was 77.5 MPG.

I see this bike as a great commuter, local back roads play bike, and a weekend day trip machine. I'd say it's a modern day Universal Japanese Motorcycle with adventure bike clothing. The market surely needs this right now. The fact that it just looks like an adventure bike does not necessarily promise that it is one or that it ever claimed to be one.

Greg
You don't give your location, so....is that 77.5 mpg imperial gallons or US gallons?
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #52
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
YES I have ridden it. About 4 hours in Belgium. I have taken it to backroads and cobblestone b-roads. Which are bad.
Does this give a clue?
"it's way lighter to maneuver than TDM and WAY weaker on engine. I mean specifically old 850."
Old 08-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #53
670cc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
You don't give your location, so....is that 77.5 mpg imperial gallons or US gallons?
I'm in the USA. The fuel economy for the first tank on my NC700X was 77.5 mile per US gallon. Today I ran it to the flashing fuel light. I filled it until I could add no more, 2.99 US gallons in 240 miles, or 80 MPG. This time I had used pure gasoline - no ethanol. I had spent some time tagging along with my wife on her 250cc scooter, so I guess those slower speeds paid off!

Greg
Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #54
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

OUTSTANDING.

Its looking like the BUSA of the economy world.

So the important question I suppose is what economy does the wife get?

Old 08-08-2012, 04:17 AM   #55
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
I'm in the USA. The fuel economy for the first tank on my NC700X was 77.5 mile per US gallon. Today I ran it to the flashing fuel light. I filled it until I could add no more, 2.99 US gallons in 240 miles, or 80 MPG. This time I had used pure gasoline - no ethanol. I had spent some time tagging along with my wife on her 250cc scooter, so I guess those slower speeds paid off!

Greg
That's impressive. I've spent some time lurking on modernvespa.com and those numbers are better than most report on their GTS250/300's.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #56
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
That's impressive. I've spent some time lurking on modernvespa.com and those numbers are better than most report on their GTS250/300's.
That mileage totally spanked my 71.2 mpg! When I have time, I'm going to try for 80 mpg. There is another NC that got around 82 mpg.
If I haven't got what I did I would say it was about impossible.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #57
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
The fact that it just looks like an adventure bike does not necessarily promise that it is one or that it ever claimed to be one.

Greg
Honda's website has the bike listed as an adventure bike. I think that qualifies as it is claiming to be one.

Whether it is one is a totally different question.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #58
swiss-happy
Rubberburner Joe

Oddometer: 23
Hi all
I have one since 4.4.2012.
It is not a dakar or dirt or gravel bike. The tires are pure road.
It does have a high sitting position, 62Nm of torque (plenty) and short breaths (48PS) of power.
It is a commuter which brings a smile to one who rides for fun also.

~Joe
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #59
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
This bike looks very good in person,, quality, fit and finish are extremely nice. The bike looks like a much more expensive bike than what it is. Going to be a real bargain.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #60
670cc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
OUTSTANDING.

Its looking like the BUSA of the economy world.

So the important question I suppose is what economy does the wife get?
The answer to that question:

The wife is on a Honda Reflex 250cc '"midi" scooter. It averages a respectable 70mpg (US). But yes, the NC700X beat it in fuel economy. I think the downfall of the CVT transmission is that it sets the RPM for you. You don't have the ability to go to lower RPM/taller gearing on the fly when you want good economy. I think if the Reflex was geared (belted?) taller it could hit 80 mpg when ridden gently.