ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #46
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Obviously, that mishap would have been prevented if he had been wearing his whale foreskin lined BMW riding suit.

..that's hilarious...
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #47
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Obviously, that mishap would have been prevented if he had been wearing his whale foreskin lined BMW riding suit.

That helps for sure, and another big plus is having retractable knobbies.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #48
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
tcourdin: A bud and I just got back from RMAR and to be honest, I found BB to be one of the easier passes overall, with only about 100 yds of mental terror. The steps are steep and covered in a bit of loose stuff in places, but the traction is good (WOULDN'T want to try it wet!) If you DO drop your bike, there's usually enough traffic that someone will come along and be able to help you pick up the bike. We rode Cinnamon/Engineer a day earlier with a "mature gentleman"--Dave S--from Texas (excellent rider!) who rode BB on Sat on his WeeStrom with stock suspension, DOT knobbies and a loaded Givi topbox! If I had an expensive rig like yours, I doubt I'd risk damaging it myself, but you sound like you're an experienced rider with a wide skill base. Do it so you can say you did it, and then go ride the more scenic passes like Cinnamon, Engineer, Hurricane and Corkscrew.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #49
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,130
As was mentioned, it is completely the rider's skill that matters, not the bike. Advanced riders have done it on a GS or other big bikes, but it is not the best way by any stretch. People doing that have had bad results, others have been fine. Don't let your ego or other rider's experience that you don't know in possible different conditions be your guide. Ride the other trails first and check your own skills (go up Engineer from the Ouray side or go up Imogene from Ouray), then decide. Pay more attention to locals than tourists who have done it in the past. With the monsoons, conditions can go to hell very quickly and conditions can be tough. Just because someone else did it doesn't mean squat when you do it! The results for those not ready can ruin a vacation. Be safe, tip the waitresses well and have a great trip!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 07:26 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #50
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,229
My brother (KTM 950 Supermoto) and I (2006 KLR) did it. We walked the KTM in the steps. Not bad at all.

For me now it is more how deep your wallet is. Can you afford it or will it ruin you're trip if drop the bike a few times. Or 4 or 5 or 8 times? For me on the KLR I was fine with it, on my 2010 KTM 990 it will be a few years before I will do BB. I would rather be on an EXC.

Have fun, and don't over think it.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 AM   #51
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Ride the other trails first and check your own skills (go up Engineer from the Ouray side or go up Imogene from Ouray), then decide. Pay more attention to locals than tourists who have done it in the past. With the monsoons, conditions can go to hell very quickly and conditions can be tough. Just because someone else did it doesn't mean squat when you do it!
Valuable advice....
Old 08-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #52
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
As was mentioned, it is completely the rider's skill that matters, not the bike. Advanced riders have done it on a GS or other big bikes, but it is not the best way by any stretch. People doing that have had bad results, others have been fine. Don't let your ego or other rider's experience that you don't know in possible different conditions be your guide. Ride the other trails first and check your own skills (go up Engineer from the Ouray side or go up Imogene from Ouray), then decide. Pay more attention to locals than tourists who have done it in the past. With the monsoons, conditions can go to hell very quickly and conditions can be tough. Just because someone else did it doesn't mean squat when you do it! The results for those not ready can ruin a vacation. Be safe, tip the waitresses well and have a great trip!
Dale! What the hell??? Are you getting soft in your old age? You used to.. burn a fuse at that question. What ever happened to "If you have to ask, then you're not qualified" (or something like that)?
Oh brother, what happened to you?

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #53
Kieffer4
Somebody stop me!

Oddometer: 112
Dropped the XChallenge on it about a week ago. Stupid mistake on my part. Walked back up and brought my dads KLR down with no issues. Its more of a mind game. Having owned one I'd rather not do it on a 1200 but that's just me. It's not this section but lots of stuff leading up to it that would be a handful. Ride the other passes first. If they are no problem then go for it. It you have trouble on Imogene or others then I'd stay off because Black Bear is harder. Just my opinion.

Walking down to check it out:

Silly drop:

Looking up:

It is worse than it looks in the photos but not impossible. If there wasnt a ledge on one side you'd ride by it at 25 mph and wouldnt give much thought compared to the other stuff you'll ride. Mind games:
Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #54
tcourdin OP
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,363
Great pics Kieffer! Those show how steep it is better than some others. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #55
tcourdin OP
Resident Spooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
tcourdin: A bud and I just got back from RMAR and to be honest, I found BB to be one of the easier passes overall, with only about 100 yds of mental terror. The steps are steep and covered in a bit of loose stuff in places, but the traction is good (WOULDN'T want to try it wet!) If you DO drop your bike, there's usually enough traffic that someone will come along and be able to help you pick up the bike. We rode Cinnamon/Engineer a day earlier with a "mature gentleman"--Dave S--from Texas (excellent rider!) who rode BB on Sat on his WeeStrom with stock suspension, DOT knobbies and a loaded Givi topbox! If I had an expensive rig like yours, I doubt I'd risk damaging it myself, but you sound like you're an experienced rider with a wide skill base. Do it so you can say you did it, and then go ride the more scenic passes like Cinnamon, Engineer, Hurricane and Corkscrew.
Thanks for the info. I'll be there with a couple guys on KTM990's and possible another with a Super Tenere. If I had a 990 I'd not even second guess riding BB. We are all pretty experienced riders. Myself I've been riding dirt since I was 7 or so, and raced MX, Hare Scrambles and Enduros for the last 25 years. I'm not worried about my skills, but am a little worried about the german pigs ground clearance. I'm surprised that Wee Strom made it as they sit pretty darn low!

I said earlier we took my Fatherinlaw over Tin Cup last year, man he had a bad time on his GS. After seeing his go down that many times I dont really wanna see mine flopping. I ended up riding my bikes down, and hiking back up and riding his down too, man that sucked!

I think we will ride alot of the other passes first, if we've still got some steam left at the end of the week we may hit BB.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #56
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,180
It really all depends on what kind of oil you are using
Old 08-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #57
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,836
I took mine down with no skid plate on it, and never hit anything. Have fun.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #58
Colorado Uli
Motociclista Non Elegante

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
It really all depends on what kind of oil you are using

Let the games begin.

Here, I'll start us off:
I believe that a semi-synthetic 15W-40 holds up better to the downward forces experienced on BB in most modern BMW engines. However, because of the elevation of BB, the molecules will break down at an increased rate and MAY actually overshadow ash content concerns(as measured by volume) of the JASO-MA labeled oil.

"Now with more SE then ever!"
Das KTM520
2004 KTM 625 SXC - Sick. Getting better
Colorado Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #59
tcourdin OP
Resident Spooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post

Let the games begin.

Here, I'll start us off:
I believe that a semi-synthetic 15W-40 holds up better to the downward forces experienced on BB in most modern BMW engines. However, because of the elevation of BB, the molecules will break down at an increased rate and MAY actually overshadow ash content concerns(as measured by volume) of the JASO-MA labeled oil.
But a synthetic will leak out quicker when I bash holes in the heads! I'm thinking a 90wt oil would be good.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #60
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Uli View Post

Let the games begin.
Why would you even think of taking a machine without a $1,500 dry clutch out there??
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote