ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #16
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Great report, it was nice meeting at the rally.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #17
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Thumb Day 6 Lessons in single track and toilet seats

First day of the Klim Rally and I am excited to go on the guided rides in the area, since I showed up late I never signed up for a ride. I find Mark who works for Klim and seems to be the ringleader of this summit. He ask what I am riding, I say a WR250R, “Ok I will put you with the single track guys” Ok sounds good to me, should be fun in the rain.

We all eat a huge breakfast courtesy of Black Dog Cycle Works( Great owners and wonderful people, GIVE EM YOUR BUSINESS :)

Ok time to go, I follow some of the Klim guys up to the trail head. I look round at all the KTM 450, 550, and basically pure bad ass dirt bikes. I also notice that most of the guys are wearing racing shirts. Ummmm I think I might be over my head here, maybe just maybe these guys have been riding for more than two months. All of them are really nice and seem pretty cool so I pull one of the guys to the side and test the waters “You know I have been only riding two months, I don't want to hold you guys up, i think i might be past my skill set.” The response was “hey no worries no one is trying to win a race here you will be fine”. Let me also add that I am on a worn out dual sport tire with almost no knobs left and stock gearing on my 250.

We start off and everyone is going like a bat out of hell flying up the trail at speeds I would have never attempted. I don't want to be “that guy” so well looks like everyone rides standing up around here so lets blow up my 250 engine and try and keep up. I actually do pretty respectable and stay with them up to the top of the “hard part”. At the top I take a few pics and admire the views, I think everyone else here is ready to ride, not take pics.

They decide to break up in A and B group. Excuse me please put me in the slowest easiest group. That group consisted of me and two others. The guy in front of me on his KTM 550 cant get up the hill so him and his buddy leave so now I am the “B” group. There are two Klim guys who are great and we go for a while, Holy shit these are not trails, is this single track? these are goat trails. One of the Klim guys says i need to lower my tire pressure, maybe that will help.

Yes it must be my tire pressure, thats it. Lower that a few PSI and I will be riding like you guys who have been riding like bad ass’s since age 7. I am pretty proud of myself actually since I am going places I would have never tried at speeds no sane man should. Then at the top of a hill my rear tire slides out and I go down a cliff ( I say cliff but actually a really steep wooded hill might be more accurate, for purposes of the story I will say cliff since it sounds more dangerous). I go first off into the abyss and land on my face then I feel my motorcycle on top my head as it skips across my brand new Arai XD4 helmet. Ouch!! I look up and the Klim guy who was following me races ahead to get his partner. I look down and luckily the bike was kept from plummeting further down the hill by a fallen tree. Thanks you dear lord and dirt bike Jesus!

I am sorry for forgetting their names but the Kilm guys were awesome, never once did they make me feel like an ass and dove right in to get my bike out. I am very lucky these guys were there and were able to get the bike out. I told them I had just started riding and they thought I was joking. We proceed to get the bike out slowly, One on the front running the bike and me and the other guy pushing down on the rear to grab some traction and pushing forward. We manage to get it to move a foot at a time but it is super steep ( I say cliff) and I cant even get a foot hold. As I am pushing on the bike staring at a spinning dirt bike tire inches from my face I think, perhaps I should put my helmet back on.

We get the bike as close the top as we can but it is no use, a few other guys in the group who happen to be fire fighters head up the hill with some rope and together we get the WR back on the trail. Looks like everything works , thank you Highway Dirt Bike hand guards, seriously these things take a beating. I am now a Klim consumer for life, first purchase will be a recovery strap.

Ok back on the trail and I am exhausted but I have to get the bike out of here, F’in Awesome. I make my way down this goat trail and tell them to get me out of here please and apologize for ruining his ride making everyone wait but I don't get any dirty looks from anyone; great group. I make my way out wrecking several more times since now every wobble is a crash and basic skills seem difficult, very frustrating. At one point they volunteer to ride my bike over something called a stair step. Holy crap I cant even walk over this vertical surface with carved out steps into the side of a mountain. WOW these guys are unreal, I was told later this was Class A single track and some of the most difficult around. I don’t know if this was true or just said to make me feel better but either way a lesson was learned.

Finally I get out and am directed to an easy road along the river back to the camp but I am given bad directions and end up back into the mountains, which allowed me about 6 water crossings, something I had never done but loving it. I realize I am way off course and head back finally to arrive back at camp after a really nice wreck free ride.

I seem to be in one piece with but with a purple foot that looks nasty but doesn't hurt. The guy from Motum magazine said politely “I ran out of talent quickly”. Yes sir that would be correct. It poured down rain all day and the Black Dog Cycle Works folks let us hang out in their tent and stay dry.

Klim put on a really great dinner to wrap up the weekend and It was time for the door prizes and awards, apparently they have a toilet seat that everyone signed at the rally and it goes to what I assume has the best crash. A dubious award but an award never the less. Mark from Klim took a vote and said that I drove my “mini bike” from Portland, hit a cow, and had to have my bike recovered. It was no contest I had the lest powerful bike and least amount of talent there. The award goes to me.

Then in a weird twist of fate Jimmy Lewis gave away 1/2 off coupons for his adventure bike classes and guess who won, the guy who apparently needs it the most ME.

Off to bed and tomorrow head to yellowstone. Everyone at the Klim summit was incredible from all the riders, vendors and Klim folks. I shall return and will avoid the single track course :)
PDX Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #18
gwl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
great job

Thanks for the PM on this I think it is the route I was thinking of. I am in to see how you finish it up. You did a great job on the ride. I also would like to see the finial repair bill for the wr.
gwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #19
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,885
Hey PDX Alamo,

So glad you are enjoying your WR as much as me. I hope I didn't lead you astray-----me and Dingweeds have over 35,000 miles on ours now---still going strong. We just got home yesterday from a trip out to Colorado, Utah and New Mexico.

Don't feel bad about the single track----even after 45 years of riding--------I don't regard the WR250R as a single track bike.
A bike ridden on single track should weigh 245 lbs. or less and not be packing anything.
But----sounds like your like me and luv to travel---and single track is almost never a part of that.

I wish my 2 KTM's were as reliable as the WR-----------they are certainly not.

Continue on my friend

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,897
Thumb

Great pictures

Looks like you had a great trip overall!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,552
Pics of how you got the Trophy home...please.

Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
Then in a weird twist of fate Jimmy Lewis gave away 1/2 off coupons for his adventure bike classes and guess who won, the guy who apparently needs it the most ME.
I had a good laugh at that, especially with the attention your story got before Jimmy announced the winner. The guy that won the Klim Latitude jacket and pants also had shredded gear that was flapping in the wind... good karma for you guys. I love it. Enjoying your report.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #23
blues bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Well done

Now THAT is an Adventure!!!!! After all your mishaps, crashes, reroutes, bruises, tweaked wr2 and you still come through with an A++ attitude and a fine sense of humor. You deserve a reward more like a years supply of free beer, than a butt seat. Fantastic RR, and thanks a million for sharing it. Just put the first 'ouches' on my WR last month too on Black Bear Pass.
blues bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #24
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwl View Post
Thanks for the PM on this I think it is the route I was thinking of. I am in to see how you finish it up. You did a great job on the ride. I also would like to see the finial repair bill for the wr.
Repair bill was $14.00 for a new HDB plastic hand guard and 13 cents in zip ties. I'm telling you HDB heavy duty hanguards are worth the money. I just moved them back and retightened the bolts and wa la.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Hey PDX Alamo,

So glad you are enjoying your WR as much as me. I hope I didn't lead you astray-----me and Dingweeds have over 35,000 miles on ours now---still going strong. We just got home yesterday from a trip out to Colorado, Utah and New Mexico.

BigDog
I cant thank you enough for the packing video you posted, I packed light and it saved me from having the lessons I am sure you learned the hard way over the years of riding. I even have my own Dingweeds tarp and big burrito chair and the Wolfman packs were great, especially when they land on your leg in a crash. Thanks again for taking the time for all your post and videos; They gave a newbie the confidence to tackle such a trip.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #26
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues bob View Post
Now THAT is an Adventure!!!!! After all your mishaps, crashes, reroutes, bruises, tweaked wr2 and you still come through with an A++ attitude and a fine sense of humor. You deserve a reward more like a years supply of free beer, than a butt seat. Fantastic RR, and thanks a million for sharing it. Just put the first 'ouches' on my WR last month too on Black Bear Pass.
Thanks man, Somebody on ADVRider said it best "Your attitude is the only difference between an ordeal and an adventure"
Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #27
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Alamo View Post
The award goes to me.

Off to bed and tomorrow head to yellowstone. Everyone at the Klim summit was incredible from all the riders, vendors and Klim folks. I shall return and will avoid the single track course :)
That was so great!
It was awesome that you got the Jimmy Lewis coupons - make sure you do a report when you go take those classes.
We all want to see you tearing it up on the single track next year!

That reminds me, I have a photo of you and Jimmy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post

I second that!

Oso bored? you can find the rest of our ride reports HERE
make stupid your favorite!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #28
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Day 7 Riding to Yellowstone with the great Pumpkin

So after being showered with awards and wearing my motorcycle as a hat it was time to head out from the Klim rally and off to Yellowstone. Several of the folks there awoke in tents that apparently had indoor swimming pools from the hard rain but my REI Half Dome 2 plus was dry as a bone. After an awesome breakfast thanks to the Happy Trail folks it was time to hang my stuff up and hope the sun would dry it up.

lost alaskan who I had met there said he didn't need to be any where until Wednesday and joined the adventure. He showed me a few picks of the Bear tooth pass and decided I had to do that and once you see the pics you will as well. So now I had a riding partner and off to Yellowstone. Alaskan was vastly more experienced than me and was on a KTM 990, he had lots of amazing pics from his rides in Alaska and New Zeland, man I had some catching up to do. Several folks at the Klim rally had ridden a dirt rode that was an old railroad track into yellowstone that they said was awesome. Its a bit tricky to find as we passed it and went down the least scenic half first. Anyway from Rigby take HWY 20 to Ashton and then 47 toward Mesa Falls for 12 miles.

Make sure you don't miss Mesa Falls see them first then turn around and go to the parking lot on the west side of the road, its huge an open; go to north end of the parking lot and then drive left through a culvert and your there you are. The old tunnel is closed off but awesome.

Finally we find the Railroad route which will take you all the way to Yellowstone,

Alaskan had warned me that Yellowstone was going to be packed as Disneyland but I thought he was exaggerating and really wanted to go anyhow. Being a sport he agreed to follow. Finding a hotel was not easy or cheap , after seeing it I wouldn't stay in West Yellowstone anyway. Luckily since your reading this you will learn of the best place to stay in the area and I think it was $110 or something. Anglers lodge in Island park Idaho, beautiful place, our porch was right on the river! I bought some beer ( Alaskan Amber, what else) and me and Alaskan talked about life, motorcycles, and old girlfriends.

I tried desperately to find a place to wash my overly ripe clothes. Since I was on the big dog plan I had only one shirt and one pair of socks( I cheated and had two shirts and two pair of socks) , yea it was bad. I had to resort to the sink which made them less likely to give me a rash but I wouldn't call them “clean”. Bring an empty nylon drysack to trap the stink or it will attack everything.

While parking at the hotel a lady and guy come over to check out Alaskans KTM 990 and ooo and ahh over it, hey it is a cool bike. The lady dismisses the WR250R and say’s “ You need to get a bigger bike” Whatever lady I wish I had a bigger bike once or twice so far and was glad I had the WR250R hundreds of times. A lady carrying an oxygen tank shouldn't talk shit about my ride. Why do people say stuff like that, obviously I like it why else would I own it. Just be nice,I don't particularly like Harley’s but if someone is so proud of there bike I don't feel the need to say “To much chrome on that thing, hardly any ground clearance on that” Anyhow ...Tomorrow its Yellowstone

147 Miles on the Odometer and riding in the shadow of the Great Pumpkin KTM 990

PDX Alamo screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 01:48 PM
Old 08-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #29
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post

Sorry to disappoint but Klim guys were nice enough to ship it to my house
Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #30
PDX Alamo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Laugh Day 8 Yellowstone or Wetstone

Get going and jump back on the railroad route into west Yellowstone. We cross into Montana from Idaho on the dirt track, I really get a kick out of crossing State lines on dirt tracks.

As we enter the gate I am happy to learn I get a discount for having two less wheels than everyone else . It is a beautiful amazing day and I stop at the entrance to shed my jacket liner and open all the vents. Wow its getting warm and I am so lucky to have a gorgeous sunny day. About 5 miles in off to north east I spy a giant wall of ominous dark clouds, hummm that was a quick turn maybe we will outrun it or it will blow pass . Lost Alaskan was right there are a ton of people here and they all drive like crap. I assume the conversation goes like this in the cars ahead “STOP!!! It’s a mule deer babe lets lock it up in the middle of the road and hold up a line of traffic so we can get the perfect pic. Yea its been 5 minutes I don’t care I am on vacation and the road is my own personal parking lot”. I think because I have been enjoying the best scenery all to myself for a week I perhaps need to become acclimated again.

The rain clouds start looking a bit worse and I hold off as long as I can but have to make a stop. On goes the Klim latitude pants which never ever got a drop of water through them I might add . I wish I had waterproof gloves o well nothing I can do now. The rain starts and does’t stop, I am on the quick rainy tour of Yellowstone but I am being positive about the rain....maybe the crowds will disappear because of the rain. Nope that didn't slow em down, I am driving by awesome scenery and bubbling springs and mud pits, amazing!! I will have to return in the offish season when its dry.

There it is Old Faithful, always wanted to see this and judging be the parking lot the size of that at the Staples center I will be sharing. Wow I knew there would be crowds but it is massive crowds and Lost Alaskan wasn't exaggerating about it being Disney Land. This did help reenforce my passion in the Adventure world since seeing so much amazing country on my own or with just a few people there. I really appreciate the ability to really truly get away even more.

We continue back into the rain and I explain to Lost Alaskan I wish I had waterproof gloves since I cant feel my fingers anymore as my gloves are soaked. He pulls his gloves out of the engine and says , “Old indian trick, they will dry em out while your stopped and at least make them warm” Humm I didn't know old west Indians had motorcycles but I like it. Alaskan offers up his waterproofish gloves as he has an extra pair. Thank you sir they worked for a while but eventually gave in and it was freezing fingers again. Slow and cold that is the tempo

A day of cold rain riding at slow speeds through the park has us both wiped, Alaskan suggest eating at the Roosevelt Lodge in the park, Sounds good to me and for kicks I ask if any rooms available. Humm sir let me check .....nope and nothing for the next 3 months. What I figured. This place is pretty cool and worth a stop even if your not eating. I ordered the full rack of ribs and man o man they were tasty falling off the bone . I hung my jacket and gear on the back off the chair and created a nice pool of water as it continued to drip the hours of rain it collected.

The drive out of the park to Cook City was incredible and dry, amazing scenery everywhere you look.

Roll into cook city and luckily find a very reasonable room at the Soda Butte lodge. Considering everyone else was full a its Nice enough place, you wont find fuzzy robes but clean and not full. The parking lots full of Harley guys so I say hello fellow motorcycle afficianado and get the stink eye from several; whatever dude a hello back wouldn't crack your billy bad ass facade now go rub your bike with a diaper. Nice little bar in there as well, have one or two beers and we are done. I take out my phone and the bartender says “No service here, Cook City is stuck in 1974” Long day so off to bed. Alaskan hangs all the gloves on the curtain rods explaining heat rises and they will dry quicker that way, “Old Indian trick” he says. Well they were dry in the morning so must work.

174 Miles with an average speed of 16 mph and learn its not the milage that counts but the time in the saddle. Tomorrow the Bear tooth and the pumpkin takes a nap.