Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Jamm OP
Old man on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 215
School me on bar end weights

Hello Fellows,

I know that bar end weights reduce vibration but what determines how much weight is required? Do both weights need to weight the same or can they differ a bit?

In my instance I have HDB handguards with their weights, but want to add a Kaoko cruise unit. I have a Kaoko unit already however, they do not make one that fits HDB handguards on a F800GS. I'm wondering if I cut the cruise unit down to size and it weights less than the opposing bar end weight if it will cause adverse vibrations.

Has anyone done this?
Jamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I am newbie myself but on my F650GS I have the BMW hand guards which came with a new replacement set of bar end weights and Kaoko throttle lock, it vibrates at highway speed. The Kaoko only goes on the throttle side.

mustardfj40 screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 08:54 AM
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,562
I've played with bar end weights on other bikes and they do help a lot. The only difference you should notice with only one is more vibration, especially on the throttle side. You might try something like bar snakes that go inside the bars to reduce vibration.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
I have the BMW handguards and was recently told the weights that come with this kit are lighter than the OEM weights...
I have not had time to check that to find out if it is true...

Here are two folks that play in this area:

http://www.vibranator.com/ (associated with Richor)

http://www.barsnake.com/

Also some folks say they put lead shot inside the ends of the bars...
On the F658GS the bars are plugged close to the ends so I'm not sure how that works....or if it works...

Some discussion here as well: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...=136903&page=2

JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
On the F658GS the bars are plugged close to the ends so I'm not sure how that works....or if it works...
Bar end snakes cannot be inserted into these OE BMW handlebars.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
fosters2
It is what it is

Oddometer: 197
The issue with handlebars is that they can act like a tuning fork, thereby causing numb hands. The purpose of the weight is to change the resonant frequency characteristics of the bar and the location where the vibration is least to where your hands are placed.

In plain english the amount of weight required is the amount that works (statement of the obvious). It really can be hit or miss. Moving the bar slightly from side to side (one side ending up being slightly longer than the other) can also have an effect (good or bad). I wouldn't stress too much about weights being different on each side. If you don't notice anything wrong, then you're good to go.
IBA#42277

SOLD - K1600GTL, S1000RR, R1200GSA, K1300GT, R1100, K75
http://www.scfoster.com
fosters2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamm View Post
Hello Fellows,

I know that bar end weights reduce vibration but what determines how much weight is required? Do both weights need to weight the same or can they differ a bit?

In my instance I have HDB handguards with their weights, but want to add a Kaoko cruise unit. I have a Kaoko unit already however, they do not make one that fits HDB handguards on a F800GS. I'm wondering if I cut the cruise unit down to size and it weights less than the opposing bar end weight if it will cause adverse vibrations.

Has anyone done this?
Please post back on how this works out if you go ahead. I am in the same boat with HDB (love), and have been using a throttle rocker only. I guess swapping out the handle bars to something that could use a snake would be an option if the vibes are really bad. . . Damn slippery path when one farkle leads to another, etc. . .