Hardcore Enduro 11 2.76%
Old School 7 1.76%
Other 62 15.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #16
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I figured KLR650 would be at the top....

Lime green (Kermit) '06 here
Old 08-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
I have owned 8 off pavement capable bikes. The Ducati E900 saw the least dirt, too big, fragile, and expensive to risk damaging. The Honda XL250, and the Ural Patrol I have now are probably tied for doing the most "adventure" riding.

The biggest lesson I learned is that real world usability trumps supposedly technical superiority.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I have owned 8 off pavement capable bikes. The Ducati E900 saw the least dirt, too big, fragile, and expensive to risk damaging. The Honda XL250, and the Ural Patrol I have now are probably tied for doing the most "adventure" riding.

The biggest lesson I learned is that real world usability trumps supposedly technical superiority.
Fragile? Expensive, maybe when new. Now, not so bad. But fragile? Nothing a set of crash bars won't fix. Motor is reliable, mods are easy, and there's nothing that can't be fabricated. The only thing I REALLY worry about breaking is the tank. Good luck finding that. As for the big part - well yeah, but still smaller than a lot of the new stuff. I'm a big guy so I throw it around alright.

I ride one or the other of my pair of Elefants daily.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
jtw000 OP
Survivor

Oddometer: 552
No guys, the KLR is rare outside of the US so it seemed obvious to just dump it in with other Jap 650s. In fact around Europe and the Middle East the DR and XR are far more common but still not widely used. The BMW 650 is a bike i've encountered fairly frequently as well as the Tenere 660, a bike not available in the US at all but I've met three on the road, two in India, one in Thailand. I encountered two DRs in Pakistan and Iran and heard of several XRs but didn't get to meet the riders. I never heard of a KLR around me while scouring the forums because they're really not very popular. I owned one and in my opinion... they're not very good.
I didn't ignore the Honda C90, friend of mine rode one from Malaysia to England but that's rare enough to be dumped in with "others". I really regret not putting the BMW parallel twin on it's own.
As for "jap", I'm a "brit" and nobody on the road finds any of this offensive, not yanks, aussies, kiwis, japs, farrangs or any of the other stuff you hear daily in a large ex-pat community. It's political correctness gone mad. Most decent people have no problem with where they're from and those that do are really not worth my time, i find.
Interesting to see what's common on this site though, predominantly US biased. Next year I'm planning a trip over South America and I'm planning to source bikes on arrival. I'm thinking KLR from the point of view of boring reliability and parts availability. I just wish it went a bit faster!!!
jtw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtw000 View Post
No guys, the KLR is rare outside of the US so it seemed obvious to just dump it in with other Jap 650s. !!!

So KLR's are rare in Australia, South America and Asia?

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Fragile? Expensive, maybe when new. Now, not so bad. But fragile? Nothing a set of crash bars won't fix. Motor is reliable, mods are easy, and there's nothing that can't be fabricated. The only thing I REALLY worry about breaking is the tank. Good luck finding that. As for the big part - well yeah, but still smaller than a lot of the new stuff. I'm a big guy so I throw it around alright.

I ride one or the other of my pair of Elefants daily.
Fargile? Maybe not the most accurate word, but when a 5 mph dump on gravel causes $1000 of damage in 90's $ its not a good fit for me.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
WB81
ADV wanna-bee

Oddometer: 30
Wink

R1200S is my adventure bike...

You can have adventures on paved roads as well, right?

Would love to get a gravel / off-road capable bike one day to see the other roads and views that are currently inaccessible to me!
WB81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
HammerMacGreed
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
I've had three wop scooters, a dago moto guzzi ambassador, a couple of krout puch mopeds, a canuck can am, but my favorite have always been my nip rice burners. I swear those japs build shit better than anyone else. All the other crap fell apart, but my Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis and Yamahas took a harder beating than Betty Whites' vagina.

Had Puch, '75 Can Am Bombardier 175Q, '82 Kaw GPZ550, '86 Yam FZ600, '82 Vespa P200E, '63 Lambretta TV175, '69 Moto Guzzi Amabassador, Lambretta custom racer 200, '73 Hon 550 rigid chopper, Puch, '82 Hon CM400A, '04 Kaw KLR650, '86 Kaw 1500 BUBF, '78 Suz GS1000, '81 Hon GL1100A, '84 Hon GL1200 Asp, '79 Hon GL500D, '00 Kaw 1500 Drifter

Only bike I ever regret selling was the Kaw KLR650

HammerMacGreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 527
KLR here too

KLR650 here. Actually TWO of 'em. Like my 2008 so much I bought a 2006 as the tug bike for my sidecar rig. Stone-axe reliable, simple to work on, super parts availability....love 'em.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #25
kconville
Avant Guard Dog

Oddometer: 591
The obvious and glaring omission is the KLR 650. I'd be VERY surprised if it wasn't the most commonly used.

Pretty worthless poll, IMO.

"No guys, the KLR is rare outside of the US so it seemed obvious to just dump it in with other Jap 650s. In fact around Europe and the Middle East the DR and XR are far more common but still not widely used."
So, why include the US in your poll?
'11 Vespa GTS300

kconville screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 12:21 PM
kconville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
MotorCade
Rugby whore

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Fargile? Maybe not the most accurate word, but when a 5 mph dump on gravel causes $1000 of damage in 90's $ its not a good fit for me.
Sure, that's fair. Breaking things can get expensive. Still, I wouldn't think it would be any more than it would cost to dump a nice new GS, Tiger, or 990Adv, though. Adventure tourer, yes - beater bike, not so much. For really hardcore stuff, a 650 single is probably a better bet. Still, a set of hepco crashbars and some smart choices in other farkles can protect from most tipovers.
MotorCade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCade View Post
Sure, that's fair. Breaking things can get expensive. Still, I wouldn't think it would be any more than it would cost to dump a nice new GS, Tiger, or 990Adv, though. Adventure tourer, yes - beater bike, not so much. For really hardcore stuff, a 650 single is probably a better bet. Still, a set of hepco crashbars and some smart choices in other farkles can protect from most tipovers.
Thats why I like the Ural so much, really hard to dump and parts are comparitivly inexpensive.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloweddy View Post
You might want to redo your poll if you can.

I think the KLR650 might be the most common ADV bike, but your poll would group it and the DR650 into "other single".
This.
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #29
TheWorstKind
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
I'll have to jump on the KLR bandwagon. I've owned one Boxer, one Transalp, and THREE KLR 650s......

Give it more gas, if it doesn't solve the problem it will at least end the suspense.
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Klr

No box for KLR to check? I guess the KLR riders wouln't pay enough to get a seperate box to check....

By pacificpt at 2012-08-07

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote