Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 547
Spruce Grouse I believe?

Excellent RR BTW!

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
Sorry, wish I could post today, but I can't. Until then, 10 points to the first person to guess what this is:

Simple. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #137
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple. View Post
Spruce Grouse I believe?
Well, that didn't kill much time. 10 points for Jon. It's a female by the way, and I would have given bonus points for correctly determining that. But too late now.

How about something harder. Where is this picture taken?

Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #138
Simple.
I'm Special

Oddometer: 547
Dang! I should have specified!

I dont know this next one. Wish I was there though!

Jon

Quote:
Well, that didn't kill much time. 10 points for Jon. It's a female by the way, and I would have given bonus points for correctly determining that. But too late now.

Simple. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #139
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:

Heaven?

Doug
Old 08-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #140
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Northern BC!!! about as specific as I can be, Heavenly as Berg Lake!!!
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #141
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:

Where is this picture taken?
Right in front of your camera?

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #142
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,081
Thanks again.
The fox is unbelievably beautiful.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #143
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Wow those packrafts are neat looking, I could see myself getting one of those. Are you using a Alpacka model?
Just did a quick search on them.

JB
1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #144
Rodsbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Wow, amazing photos and spectacular scenery. Those waterfalls are spectacular. Really enjoying this report. Got so much on my bucket list that I would need to win 3 lotteries to do it all. But I feel I am right with you.
Rodsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #145
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Heaven?

Doug
Nope. Johansen Lake. Close though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Down-5Up View Post
Wow those packrafts are neat looking, I could see myself getting one of those. Are you using a Alpacka model?
Just did a quick search on them.

JB
It's a Feathercraft Baylee River Runner I have.

Sorry for the delay guys. ( I actually didn't get any email notifications re: this thread for some reason, so I thought everyone had forgetten...) But I've been unable to post for a couple reasons. One of them being I lost my glasses and can't see a thing. Getting laser eyes in a hour or two here.

Want to see how I lost my glasses:

Crooked Creek screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 02:27 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #146
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Holy shite, Superman, that was some wild ride! Does your cape ever get caught up in your spokes or interfere with your paddling? Does your wife know you're doing stuff like this on your days out away from the kiddies?? Is your life insurance paid up? When my kids were little my wife was loathe to let me do anything anywhere close to exciting for fear she'd end up raising the kids by herself or need to find a replacement.

Damn, that was fun! I took my glasses off to watch the video after you lost yours and it was very wild, definitely added to the excitement to be partially blind to what was coming. I'm sitting here exhausted and soaked to the skin. We enjoy kayaking here in Virginia but it ain't nothing like that! We have really old worn down mountains and big wide low gradient rivers with lots of flats between rapids. We're only a few miles from where the James River cuts through the entirety of the Blue Ridge Mountains and that's pretty fun, but with only one major falls to navigate. Some of the boulders in that stretch are bigger than my house and round like a beach ball. That river you were on was just relentless; I realize you probably edited out the flat stuff, but still... The rivers here don't have much sediment in them, just the occasional "rock garden" (usually where a tributary joins) and lots and lots of rock ledges that can be at any angle to the direction the water is flowing = very challenging. One minute you're floating over 20 feet of water and the next ripping the bottom out of the boat. I saw you go through a few narrow chutes where the flow from both sides likes to blast right into the boat and swamp you if you don't have the skirt on. I've never used an inflatable boat like that before but it looks like just the ticket.

A couple friends of mine have gotten the laser surgery and it worked so well they have perfect eyesight now. One guy said he didn't get any sleep at all the first night after the procedure. Why, did the pain keep you awake? Nope, after 25 years of wearing glasses he kept looking at his alarm clock and marvelling that he could see it clearly without having to find his glasses! Good luck with that.

Very cool video, thanks for sharing!

Doug
Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #147
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Oddometer: 724
Thats one BIG CREEK!

Nice Work!

That is really cool that you lost your glasses at that exact moment ... Not that you lost them but that if you hadn’t you would have continued around that bend into a possible life threatening situation.

What I was curious about from there-on was what could you actually see ... Could you only see things close up after it was too late to make adjustments or was it just all a blur? ... I noticed once you came up on a boulder and let out a “Oh-Momma!” as though you hadn’t seen it coming.

Was that blood on your hand after the second flip over ... If so what was the fix ... Let me guess ... You caught a fish and used one of its ribs as a needle then you snuck up behind a sleeping grizzly plucking a few hairs off his back so you could stitch it up without any pain killers and it simply wasn’t worth mentioning in the video because thats just what any 6 year old Canadian kid would do...

One more ... I think I noticed that you turned up the survival mindset a click or two after loosing your glasses, while I was following you down this river I was wondering what you would do to get out of this wilderness if the boat or paddle got away from you in one of those flip overs ... “What” would have been your survival plan? ... I’m not raggin-on-ya for running it solo ... I am inspired by watching it!

Some people are scared to live, few live brighter than most and fewer still are those with an inner knowledge that gives them courage to love this life there given.

Hope the laser eye surgery was a complete success ...
Platypus-3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #148
1Down-5Up
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
[QUOTE= It's a Feathercraft Baylee River Runner I have. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I see they're Canadian made which is a bonus.

JB
1Down-5Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #149
Crooked Creek OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Does your wife know you're doing stuff like this on your days out away from the kiddies??
She's the first one I showed the video . That's a big part of why I got into packrafting--she was interested in it first, so it's something we will do together. My marriage is too important to have 2 hobbies that I don't share with my wife (as she's not planning to get on a bike anytime soon.) Can't wait until next summer when we can do overnight trips together.
Quote:
That river you were on was just relentless; I realize you probably edited out the flat stuff, but still...
It really is quite a steep creek and is dangerous (up to Class 5+) in high water. It's a whole different animal in June. Right now there is about 5km of easy going at the beginning, but it's pretty steady from then on. I didn't do much editing, just hit record before and after rapids that sounded (cause I'd couldn't see too well) that they would be good.
Quote:
I saw you go through a few narrow chutes where the flow from both sides likes to blast right into the boat and swamp you if you don't have the skirt on. I've never used an inflatable boat like that before but it looks like just the ticket.
I love that this boat is self-bailing and without a skirt because it's easy in and out when you have to bail over a sweeper or something. And in splashy waves the water goes out as fast as it going in. It handled very different than a kayak.
So far the laser surgery seems to be a success. Still not supposed to be using a computer and it's a little blurry, but already it's amazing how well I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus-3in1 View Post
That is really cool that you lost your glasses at that exact moment ...
I'm very thankful and grateful about that. Who knows what would have happened. Also, what's amazing is that the first vehicle (not counting an obvious tourist RV) to come by the the takeout right after I pulled out not only picked me up, but volunteered to give me a ride up the 4x4 trail (a 32km detour for them) to bring me right to my Land Cruiser. And what's more amazing is that the one guy way out there camping at the put in bridge happened to offer me his spare contact lenses as he had the exact same prescription in one eye. So off I went with two right contacts and 20/20 vision, right on time.
Quote:
What I was curious about from there-on was what could you actually see ...
Let's just say I am (was ) very near nearsighted. I was going by feel quite a lot, but also from the low angle many times you can't see the clear passages (if there are any) on ledges even if you're 20/20. In a canoe I will stand up and look, but that's not really possible in a packraft. You can tell a lot by the sound though and I got better as I went. Also I learned (at least at this flow level) that as long as you really book it over the ledge, you can usually overcome the recirculating hole. If you get at all sideways though; it'll spin you and you'll be swimming (as you saw.) You're right about that boulder though; I didn't see it coming at all. But packrafts do much better on rocks than a rigid craft.
Quote:
Was that blood on your hand after the second flip over ... If so what was the fix ... Let me guess ... You caught a fish and used one of its ribs as a needle then you snuck up behind a sleeping grizzly plucking a few hairs off his back so you could stitch it up without any pain killers and it simply wasn’t worth mentioning in the video because thats just what any 6 year old Canadian kid would do...
Nice guess. Yeah, I did smash my thumb somehow in the last swim (there was one more I didn't bother sharing) and spit my thumbnail almost all the way. With something that minor though, I prefer to let it bleed until it's done so it keeps clean.
Quote:
What would have been your survival plan?
That is a good question, and your assessment is correct. Well, not as much as "survival" to be honest but I had promised my wife I would be home to help put the kids in bed, and I was determined not to be late. So I was running scenarios and setting priorities as I went. Priorities were avoiding serious injury/death (obviously,) then avoiding losing the boat, then the paddle. It would be extremely dangerous to tether yourself to a raft or paddle in a river like this, so that was out. I could have made a serviceable paddle in about a 1/2 half hour (with the cord and Leatherman I was carrying) so that wouldn't have been the end of the world. Or I could have just used a pole and took about an hour longer to get there.

Re: loosing the boat, I would have swam after it if at all possible to do safely (even if I had to temporarily ditch the paddle) because though it would stop eventually, it likely would be because it got pinned on a log and then it likely would get punctured with the tremendous force of the current. I was carrying a very basic repair kit (fine for a rock puncture, but not a pin-induced blowout.) This packraft (unlike the single-chambered Alpacka) has 2 main chambers and 4 more in the floor, so it is still useful if you lose one side.

After the point of where I lost my glasses, hiking out in that terrain would have been a solid two day affair over nasty canyons and through thick bush to take the direct route to the highway. I would have followed the creek instead (and provided it wasn't punctured) floating in my drysuit and life jacket anywhere it was safe. I would have still been out by dark that way. That's glacial water in this creek though, so you can't swim in it w/o a drysuit (or good wetsuit) for any manner of time, no matter how hot it is outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Down-5Up View Post
Thanks for the info, I see they're Canadian made which is a bonus.

JB
Yep. They are pricy, but the quality and service are second to none. I don't want to spoil what happened on the trip we're supposed to be talking about, but Feathercraft proved itself.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #150
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

She's the first one I showed the video . That's a big part of why I got into packrafting--she was interested in it first, so it's something we will do together. My marriage is too important to have 2 hobbies that I don't share with my wife (as she's not planning to get on a bike anytime soon.) Can't wait until next summer when we can do overnight trips together.

You've found yourself a "keeper", I'd say. You are a lucky man! I've found one of those for myself and the partnership we share is truly amazing.

Doug