Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #3436
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Thanks LukasM, I ordered one of those fans. Im not much of an electrical genius,I wonder how one fan can draw 8 watts,while one that looks pretty similar draws 35 watts? Dirttricks claims their fan can run the whole time the bike is running with out drawing the battery down.
That sounds good to me,I would rather not change out stators as stock is often the best.
We shall see.
The KTM fan is a more heavy duty version that flows a lot of air (you can easily hear it with the engine running), 124 cfm at 1.9 amps, so even more at full power. The DT one appears to be a simple 12V computer fan which must flow a lot less. I am sure it helps but there is no way it will work as well because of the differences in power draw and output.

In the case of stators Trailtech actually makes a product that is better than KTM, both from a reliability as well as functionality point of view. You can see that even KTM has realized this, this is why you can buy repackaged TT stators through the official KTM Hard Parts catalog.

You can try the DT fan but for tight and slow single track with no air flow through the rads I'd recommend the 100W DC system upgrade and the KTM fan, this will leave some head room for heated grips, HID/LED lights, etc.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #3437
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The KTM fan draws about 35 Watts.

Motomaster is good, Beringer 4/6 P are both good, Magura radial (with QTM axial to radial adapter bracket) is good, FTE radial is shit, stock 2 P Brembo is shit, even with a 320mm bracket (and it only allows you to use a 4mm thick disc). I wouldn't advise those last 2 ones to anybody who doesn't ride like a grandma, at least not if it's up and down and not only flat riding.

The Beringer cast iron rotors are awesome as they never overheat and wear your pads much less with their solid surface. Unfortunately they are very expensive and the center is made out of soft aluminum so it get's worn pretty quickly at the floaters and then needs a rebuild kit. You won't wear out a friction ring though!

The Braking Wave sold through KTM Hard Parts and the Motomaster Flame are a good alternative.

Just make sure that you get the right disc for your caliper, there are both 310 and 320mm variations.

Wow, that seems pricey. I'd like to get a new master/caliper/larger rotor combo for my SM wheelset as well (currently just running the standard disc/caliper), but $1300 is a lot of $$ to drop. Is that the only reasonable cost alternative, or is there a more economical option?

Thanks,
dc
Country Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #3438
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Doc View Post
Wow, that seems pricey. I'd like to get a new master/caliper/larger rotor combo for my SM wheelset as well (currently just running the standard disc/caliper), but $1300 is a lot of $$ to drop. Is that the only reasonable cost alternative, or is there a more economical option?

Thanks,
dc
Hi Dan,

If you want to save some money you can also get a cheap axial MC with 13-16mm bore from a street bike (if using a 4 or 6 piston caliper). And the Motomaster caliper is actually designed for use with 11-12mm dirt bike MCs so it has 4 smaller pistons and works very well with a standard KTM Brembo.

The budget alternative for calipers is the gold 4 piston Brembo that is used on the KTM Dukes, 640 Supermoto and some Ducatis. It has good stopping power, and huge selection of pads, and it can be used with 4mm or 5mm discs, but it's fairly wide and needs a special caliper bracket and disc spacer to make it work on the standard EXC forks. Here is what it looks like mounted, if you need help finding a caliper, I've got a spare I'd sell cheap.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #3439
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,277
Posting these up just for fun, and also to say thank you to all the guys who have contributed to this thread and helped me (and VISA ) make my bike into the greatest back country exploring rig I could have wanted. These are from a ride a week or so ago. Oh, and now the KLR rider is JONESING for a new 500.... :)

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #3440
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,768
Quote:
The KTM fan is a more heavy duty version that flows a lot of air (you can easily hear it with the engine running), 124 cfm at 1.9 amps, so even more at full power. The DT one appears to be a simple 12V computer fan which must flow a lot less. I am sure it helps but there is no way it will work as well because of the differences in power draw and output.

In the case of stators Trailtech actually makes a product that is better than KTM, both from a reliability as well as functionality point of view. You can see that even KTM has realized this, this is why you can buy repackaged TT stators through the official KTM Hard Parts catalog.

You can try the DT fan but for tight and slow single track with no air flow through the rads I'd recommend the 100W DC system upgrade and the KTM fan, this will leave some head room for heated grips, HID/LED lights, etc.
I'll try their fan and see what happens,it flows 100cfm and is good for a 20 degree drop in temp.
I use my 300 for real singletrack but I figure some sort of fan would be good on the 530.

Seems like after so many years,KTM would put a better stator on the bike to start with,but we know how that goes.
I'll put the TT stator on at some point most likely.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:34 AM   #3441
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I'll try their fan and see what happens,it flows 100cfm and is good for a 20 degree drop in temp.
I use my 300 for real singletrack but I figure some sort of fan would be good on the 530.

Seems like after so many years,KTM would put a better stator on the bike to start with,but we know how that goes.
I'll put the TT stator on at some point most likely.
If it flows 100 cfm that's great for only 8 watts, so definitely give it a shot.

BTW KTM finally has the stators figured out on the '09+ Husabergs and the '11+ FI KTMs, 200 Watts of DC power, and they are reliable!
Old 08-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #3442
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
If it flows 100 cfm that's great for only 8 watts, so definitely give it a shot.

BTW KTM finally has the stators figured out on the '09+ Husabergs and the '11+ FI KTMs, 200 Watts of DC power, and they are reliable!
And I bet,not cheap! I would like 200 watts that worked properly though. I checked out the thread about the Electrosport stator,that one takes a little engineering to get going,then it can maybe die at a later point.
I guess the main thing I want in a bike is for it to keep working,especially out in the middle of the Nevada desert.
I dont want to be the guy getting towed in . Bling for bling's sake rarely gets you very far.

Different subject, but a friend just had the small sealed cam bearing frag in his 525,bearings went all through the engine,broken gear parts came out with the drain oil,supposed to have been a freshly redone engine.
Any thoughts on this? I can see how having 2 separate oil cavities would have saved him some money.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #3443
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,784
Hodakaguy- nice shot of you with your 530 on the cover of the AMA magazine! ADV represent!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #3444
Foot dragger
singletracker

I hadnt seen that,I try to keep it quiet but I started out racing Super Rats back in the day,I no longer have the Pabatco/Hodaka T-shirt but the scars remain.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #3445
obgod3
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehrcke View Post
Looks great! Where did you get the plastics and graphics? I really like the bike in white. I've replaced my headlight mask with a white one, but am waiting till this winter and going to replace the plastics.
Sorry I didn't get back fast, but I got the plastics from RockyMountainMC.com, they are Polisport. But they are definitely a different shade or white than the stock KTM plastics which you can order at any KTM shop, so dont try to mix and match. I think they were $105 for the set minus the airbox covers which I left black.
obgod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 PM   #3446
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Hodakaguy- nice shot of you with your 530 on the cover of the AMA magazine! ADV represent!
Thanks, it was fun doing the photo shoot etc...wasn't expecting the cover! The ADV logo on the fork guards came out great in the shot!

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #3447
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Hi Dan,

If you want to save some money you can also get a cheap axial MC with 13-16mm bore from a street bike (if using a 4 or 6 piston caliper). And the Motomaster caliper is actually designed for use with 11-12mm dirt bike MCs so it has 4 smaller pistons and works very well with a standard KTM Brembo.

The budget alternative for calipers is the gold 4 piston Brembo that is used on the KTM Dukes, 640 Supermoto and some Ducatis. It has good stopping power, and huge selection of pads, and it can be used with 4mm or 5mm discs, but it's fairly wide and needs a special caliper bracket and disc spacer to make it work on the standard EXC forks. Here is what it looks like mounted, if you need help finding a caliper, I've got a spare I'd sell cheap.
What about for those of us who don't want to deal with the hassles associated with swapping-out caliper adapters and all that stuff? Running a 19/17 Woodys wheelset and wouldn't mind having a little more braking power on the street, but don't want to run a bigger rotor on my dirt wheelset.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #3448
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Thanks, it was fun doing the photo shoot etc...wasn't expecting the cover! The ADV logo on the fork guards came out great in the shot!

Hodakaguy
So,Hodakaguy,what sort of Hodakas do you have around?

You going to pick up a 2013 500EXC?
Old 08-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #3449
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Just started a new thread in the vendor forum, and thought some of you guys might be interested in the trick new KTM parts that we're making, so here are a few pictures and links (click on the pics).

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #3450
Foot dragger
singletracker

Neat! You guys have come up with some good ideas and products,I like the pic where stuff is all spread out in somebody's front room. Its neat to see small startup's make a go of it. By chance Im needing a good sub mount for my Scott's stabilizer on my 2011 530. Im in Chico,one of your partners is also I guess.