Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #136
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
Many powders tend to be position sensitive. With .30-06 there is much more "free space" unless you're using a more bulky powder to take up that case capacity. .30-06 is no slouch...but looking a the numbers it's pretty obvious you don't gain much over the .308 with it... not enough to make it worth it anyhow.
I am sure that is a factor too. I remember as a teenager my daddy taught me that for a bottle-necked rifle case one should find the powder that provides the desired velocity at a safe pressure, and simultaneously fills the case to the base of the neck, seat the bullet to just a couple of hundredths short of the lands, and voila, accurate round. That seems to generally be true.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #137
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,043
Anyone shoot with vernier sites instead of a scope? I was out checking the sites on my 6mm and found it very hard to get accurate on paper. Can you get smaller id rear sites?
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #138
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Anyone shoot with vernier sites instead of a scope? I was out checking the sites on my 6mm and found it very hard to get accurate on paper. Can you get smaller id rear sites?
I have vernier sights on a Browning 1885 BPCR 45/70. The sight is fairly elaborate and when I get it dialed in I can shoot it fairly well. My eyes are not what they used to be, but the gun does have a couple of different eyepieces allowing a smaller 'peep'. I'm not entirely sure it makes a difference, I tend to believe that the eye centers the post in the rear sight automatically and, at least up to a point, thus the size of the peep is irrelevant, but I could be mistaken and imagine others might chime in.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #139
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Geode corrected me, it's a Williams peep sight. I was having some trouble getting front and rear aligned and still get fine detail on the target.
2006 KLR650
Old 08-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #140
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Geode corrected me, it's a Williams peep sight. I was having some trouble getting front and rear aligned and still get fine detail on the target.
Forget the rear sight altogether. Just look through it. It is impossible for the human eye to focus on three different things simultaneously, and difficult to do even two. Are you able to see the front sight clearly? If so, and the target isn't impossibly blurred (although it may not be crystal clear), you ought to be okay.

I shoot an M1A with standard peep sights and can get pretty good groups, despite having "old" eyes. I get some vertical stringing, and that's because I have a little trouble judging where the front post is relative to the target, but I'm never too far off. Were your groups large vertically, or horizontally too? If your horizontal dispersion isn't too bad, you're doing okay and just need a bunch of practice. I also note how a lot of guys will go out, fire one or two groups having not shot a gun in six months, and then wonder why their groups are not wonderful.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #141
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

My groups weren't too bad once I got it sighted, but at 200ft the front sight was larger than the target so that being precise was difficult. I was always told how the 8mm rifle was a great long distance shot but with the peep sights on it I don't see how you could be accurate at over 100 yards with anything smaller than a buffalo! I'll try to get some video up later.
2006 KLR650
Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #142
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I have vernier sights on a Browning 1885 BPCR 45/70. The sight is fairly elaborate and when I get it dialed in I can shoot it fairly well. My eyes are not what they used to be, but the gun does have a couple of different eyepieces allowing a smaller 'peep'. I'm not entirely sure it makes a difference, I tend to believe that the eye centers the post in the rear sight automatically and, at least up to a point, thus the size of the peep is irrelevant, but I could be mistaken and imagine others might chime in.

Oy vey!

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #143
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
don't see how you could be accurate at over 100 yards with anything smaller than a buffalo! I'll try to get some video up later.
just shoot buffalo!
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #144
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
My groups weren't too bad once I got it sighted, but at 200ft the front sight was larger than the target so that being precise was difficult. I was always told how the 8mm rifle was a great long distance shot but with the peep sights on it I don't see how you could be accurate at over 100 yards with anything smaller than a buffalo! I'll try to get some video up later.
You'd be surprised at some of the groups that, say, NRA High Power shooters are capable of achieving at 300-600 yards with iron sights. The bullseye of a target at those distances might appear a mere speck, but is actually fairly large when viewed up close. They have to learn where the bullet is going and what sort of a sight-picture they need to get those groups. It can be done.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #145
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
You'd be surprised at some of the groups that, say, NRA High Power shooters are capable of achieving at 300-600 yards with iron sights. The bullseye of a target at those distances might appear a mere speck, but is actually fairly large when viewed up close. They have to learn where the bullet is going and what sort of a sight-picture they need to get those groups. It can be done.
I'm sure those who put thousands of rounds thru guns over years get that good. Best I was able to do was center the front in the rear and then try to center the front on the target. I did think about sighting the gun so the center was actually on top of the front site instead of behind it.
2006 KLR650
Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #146
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
I'm sure those who put thousands of rounds thru guns over years get that good. Best I was able to do was center the front in the rear and then try to center the front on the target. I did think about sighting the gun so the center was actually on top of the front site instead of behind it.
When shooting at a circular black bull, it's best to use a 6 o'clock hold and "dot the i". But that means the shots might be a little high for other targets. But I still think it's the best way to go. And don't forget, and I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record here, simply look through the rear sight and don't bother trying to center anything, your eye will do that for you automatically. Just focus on the front and, to a slightly lesser extent, the target.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #147
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,742
Quote:
When shooting at a circular black bull, it's best to use a 6 o'clock hold and "dot the i". But that means the shots might be a little high for other targets. But I still think it's the best way to go. And don't forget, and I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record here, simply look through the rear sight and don't bother trying to center anything, your eye will do that for you automatically. Just focus on the front and, to a slightly lesser extent, the target.
On both my Marlin 1895 and M1 carbine, I added a little piece of tru-glo to the front sight which makes me focus on that and automatically just center the rear peep, but I don't try to hold the front sight at the 6 oclock in the rear peep. However, I do hold the front sight on the 6 oclock of the target inner bull, which just works better for me.

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 07:53 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #148
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
On both my Marlin 1895 and M1 carbine, I added a little piece of tru-glo to the front sight which makes me focus on that and automatically just center the rear peep, but I don't try to hold the front sight at the 6 oclock in the rear peep. However, I do hold the front sight on the 6 oclock of the target inner bull, which just works better for me.
That's what I meant, don't worry about the rear peep, just use a 6 o'clock hold on the bull. Just look through the rear sight and forget it.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #149
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Quote:
That's what I meant, don't worry about the rear peep, just use a 6 o'clock hold on the bull. Just look through the rear sight and forget it.
A little video of shooting and sighting in the 6mm with some shots of the peep site at the end.
2006 KLR650
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #150
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
I use that same rear sight on my air rifle, and have not been able to discern a whole heck of a lot of difference between the small apature, the large apature, and using the rear ring and no apature in function.

Behing that I don't do lots of bench work with anything, just having an open ring functions well enough to blast what I'm looking at.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: