Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
Welcome to the world of small scooters. They sure are fun

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Before you go the aftermarket exhaust route consider this one thing. A scooter with its cvt transmission won't give you the option of lugging around quietly in a higher gear. That means you will be constantly running near WFO at almost all times, especially if you ride like me. That aftermarket muff is going to be loud! I have heard many a scooter owner having to go back to stock because of this. I think you need to go 155bbk next .
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
Before you go the aftermarket exhaust route consider this one thing. A scooter with its cvt transmission won't give you the option of lugging around quietly in a higher gear. That means you will be constantly running near WFO at almost all times, especially if you ride like me. That aftermarket muff is going to be loud! I have heard many a scooter owner having to go back to stock because of this. I think you need to go 155bbk next .
I would love to get a bbk at some point! From what I've read though the Leo comes with a quiet insert that more or less just changes the tone rather then the db level. The other exhaust I've looked at is the ncy or samurai exhaust that they use in Taiwan to get by the strict exhaust mod rules. Believe me I don't want loud just a little more bass, if I can get it without my ears bleeding I'll stick with stock.
kyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #19
Timmy64
n00b

Oddometer: 8
We have something in common.

Last month I bought a new 2011 (they did not make any 2012s) V-Star 650 Custom. I have about 800 miles on it so far.

When I took in in for its 600 mile service, My wife and I fell in love with this new 2009 Zuma 125 that was on on the floor. I asked them about it and they said that they took it out of the crate and assembled it back in the summer of 2010, but for some reason, it had not sold. They made us a good deal on it, so we bought it. It was manufactured in May of 2009, so it should not have any fuel pump issues like some earlier made ones have had. I had never ridden a scooter before and I was grinning from ear to ear as I rode it home. It has 325 miles on it and about 75 percent of those are with both me and my wife riding it. For a little 125cc scooter, I'm amazed at how easily it runs with our 300 pounds on it.

The only thing I have done to it is put some mirrors from a Yamaha C3 scooter on it. They only cost about $12 dollars apiece at the dealership and they work and look a hell of a lot better than those lollypop round ones that come stock do. Next up is a luggage rack and that's about all I'm going to do to anytime soon.

I can't believe that I'm saying this, but the Zuma is a way more fun to ride around town than the V Star 650. I need something for highway riding so the V Star is going to stay in our garage, but for around town riding, I'll almost always grab the key for the Zuma.

This is what I sing to my wife before we go on a ride on the Zuma: ( Sung like the theme to The King of Queens TV show )
"
Baby. Baby all I want to do........is get the Zuma and take a scoot with you".
Timmy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,684
I had a Honda Shadow 750 when I bought my Zuma. Before long the Shadow was gone.

Zuma was way more fun for the type of riding that I have time to do at this point in my life.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I love my scooter! It's the best bike I've ever owned to just bum around on and bumming around has become my new riding style .
Here are a few pic from a ride this weekend.

Btw Welcome to the fun Timmy64!
Old 08-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #22
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A few more pics from a ride I took to LBL.

My buddy got some new shoes for his super 9! Shinko sr428. They seem like they would be a good replacement tire for the z125, a little better on the road but still a dual sport type tire.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #23
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
Does anyone know how often valve adjustments are required on the Zuma 125? And if it is really often (my Vino 125 is every 3000 miles, but only takes 15 minutes) how hard is it? I have looked at several Japanese scooters,, and they require frequent valve adjustments, and you have to tear the whole scooter apart to do it. Also the Zuma 125 looks like my kind of scooter. I would imagine the performance is about the same as the Vino 125, which I have put over 15,000 enjoyable miles on.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #24
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well looks like my zuma and I may part ways tomarrow. After showing my zuma to a friend I get a call from his cousin offering a trade, a 2006 yamaha morphous. Now under most other circumstances I would never entertain the thought BUT I've always been a huge fan of the morphous. Needless to say we looked over each others scooters and decided an even trade sounded fair. So tomarrow I will bid farewell to the z125, I have no complaints with it what so ever. I will report back with pics of the morph.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #25
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

KYhillbilly, a morphous? Please tell me you were hittin the shine when you made this deal. All kidding aside, I would like to ride them all in this lifetime if I could. Just don't enter any beauty contest with the morph .
Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

JerryH
Valve check/adjustment for the Zuma 125
After 1st 600 miles, then every 2000 miles.
Nice video on youtube with the procedure.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
KYhillbilly, a morphous? Please tell me you were hittin the shine when you made this deal. All kidding aside, I would like to ride them all in this lifetime if I could. Just don't enter any beauty contest with the morph .
Haha! You know it Is kinda like the pontiac aztek of scooters! I made the deal today and brought the ugly thing home. I really like it on the limited time I've had to ride! I saw 77mph very easily and the low speed handling is way better then expected. I'll throw some pics up ASAP.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
adoptamutt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Does anyone know how often valve adjustments are required on the Zuma 125? And if it is really often (my Vino 125 is every 3000 miles, but only takes 15 minutes) how hard is it? I have looked at several Japanese scooters,, and they require frequent valve adjustments, and you have to tear the whole scooter apart to do it. Also the Zuma 125 looks like my kind of scooter. I would imagine the performance is about the same as the Vino 125, which I have put over 15,000 enjoyable miles on.

The Zuma 125 should be faster than the Vino 125:

Zuma 125: 125cc, 4 valves, fuel injection, 10:1 compression ratio, forced air cooling
Vino 125: 124cc, 2 valves, 26mm Mikuni carb, 9.8:1 compression ratio, air cooling

The Zuma also has 12" tires vs. 10" for the Vino. The Zuma has a 220mm front brake disc vs. 180mm for the Vino.

But the Vino is about 25 lbs. lighter than the Zuma.

Source: 2010 Yamaha sales brochure.
adoptamutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #29
kyhillbilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well over the weekend I was able to throw some miles on the Morph and I'm very happy with the scoot overall. A few faults I can find are the 0-40mph is pretty...........slow. I think my zuma 125 would have given it a hard time in that respect but after 40 it runs up to a solid 70 pretty quick! I've seen 80mph. I have a few small issues I need to take care of, first my trunk won't open. the key turns but it won't unlatch. The other thing is my ignition seems to be frozen. The key goes in but won't turn at all, the PO put a toggle switch in the glove but to turn the bike on but I'm not real happy with the set up. Overall i dig the bike.
Here are some quick pics of the space ship

Old 08-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #30
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Nice, reminds me of a stormtrooper's speederbike. Did you take off the stock windshield? It would look better if you switched out those chrome mirrors w/ black ones. My '08 burgman had a rusty right mirror so I switched them out w/ some black ones and it looks much better.
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote