Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #496
Bobby1200
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Reading here: http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=180627 That it was last spotted in a shitty neck o the woods!
Bobby1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #497
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Noah,
My heart goes out to you

It looks like Dublin is a shitheap according to the Irish bike site listed above and that particular area is a haven for crime....

I wish you well with your next steps of the "adventure"

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #498
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Possible Silver Lining

Noah,

I didn't want to mention it yesterday, I can only imagine what was going through your head then, but, seeing as how you have already "gone there."

Maybe this is your opportunity to be one of the first few from the states to be an XT660 Tenere owner. You did mention that it would be the only other bike you would really consider for the trip.....

Jenny Morgan has/had a real nice one she was trying to sell to raise funds for the Dakar. Looks like it didn't sell through her ebay add. Maybe it is still available.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1649

I know it isn't cheap but maybe a better option to a Honda 90, and it is well sorted by a Dakar Racer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XT-...05%26rk%3D2%26
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #499
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 976
Wtf

Heart just stopped, so sorry to hear. I have to say very impressed with the amount of support offered by our inmates here.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #500
RoninMoto OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Noah,

I didn't want to mention it yesterday, I can only imagine what was going through your head then, but, seeing as how you have already "gone there."

Maybe this is your opportunity to be one of the first few from the states to be an XT660 Tenere owner. You did mention that it would be the only other bike you would really consider for the trip.....

Jenny Morgan has/had a real nice one she was trying to sell to raise funds for the Dakar. Looks like it didn't sell through her ebay add. Maybe it is still available.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1649

I know it isn't cheap but maybe a better option to a Honda 90, and it is well sorted by a Dakar Racer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XT-...05%26rk%3D2%26
Once again Uller is a PIMP. Thanks bud. I will be contacting her if I don't get Katy back.
'Twas sold.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
Open-Exporers----->A collection of travel blogs

RoninMoto screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 03:47 PM
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #501
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
If you end up needing to purchase a new (to you) bike, set up a PayPal account and you can count on my support! I hate to see dreams shattered.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #502
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
If you end up needing to purchase a new (to you) bike, set up a PayPal account and you can count on my support! I hate to see dreams shattered.
Count me in!

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #503
scotty.ie
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Hey man.
Just got word of this. I'm from Ireland and don't even consider Dublin as part of Ireland. Dirty scum bags.

I'd be surprised if you see the bike again. www.Donedeal.ie is where it might turn up but more likely ebay for drug money in parts.

I'm back in a few days if you need help locating another steed. I have an Africa twin back there at the moment you can use to get around on and a KLR on the way in a shipping container. Get the fuck out of Dublin anyway for a start before they steal anything else from you. There is a friend of mine in Limerick, a farmer, lives in a big house on his own, not a biker but it will be a place to crash for a week or so till I get back.
I going to put some feelers out in the "underground" back there in the meantime. There are a few places, one I know of, that your bike may be fenced off to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Noah,
My heart goes out to you

It looks like Dublin is a shitheap according to the Irish bike site listed above and that particular area is a haven for crime....

I wish you well with your next steps of the "adventure"
Well here are two well balanced posts. For the record, Dublin is not a shithole. Its the same as every Capitol city ....... It has it's bad areas. As for wheatwhackers comments, this chap is from Limerick, crime centre of Ireland and also known as stab city . Anyway, I met Noah today and extended the friendly hand of Ireland to him. His bike is in the possession of a group of joy riders in a tough neighbourhood and the cops have advised all concerned not to attempt to retrieve it. His story has gone viral here and a lot of bikers have offered to meet up with him for coffee etc to help. I have access to a car workshop near where the bike is so if it's recovered he can use the facilities. So, in closing..... Dublin is not a dump. We are friendly. And we will try to help him.
scotty.ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #504
SgtMike
facebook.com/mikeraces

Oddometer: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Art View Post
Count me in!
What he said!
SgtMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #505
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty.ie View Post
Well here are two well balanced posts. For the record, Dublin is not a shithole. Its the same as every Capitol city ....... It has it's bad areas. As for wheatwhackers comments, this chap is from Limerick, crime centre of Ireland and also known as stab city . Anyway, I met Noah today and extended the friendly hand of Ireland to him. His bike is in the possession of a group of joy riders in a tough neighbourhood and the cops have advised all concerned not to attempt to retrieve it. His story has gone viral here and a lot of bikers have offered to meet up with him for coffee etc to help. I have access to a car workshop near where the bike is so if it's recovered he can use the facilities. So, in closing..... Dublin is not a dump. We are friendly. And we will try to help him.
So the cops know where it is and they won't go get it because its a tough neighborhood? Sounds like we need to lend you some cops from this side of the pond...
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #506
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:

Thank you scotty.ie for helping out and lending a hand to a hometown Arrowhead Mn neighbor in his time of need. Very much appreciated...

c-zulu screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 04:35 PM
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #507
el' hefe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Dude. No f-ing way.

I just spent a good part of the day cacthing up on this RR, and I have been loving it as you have passions similar to mine (snowboarding, m/cing & KTM's at that)...I finally made it to the last page only to see this unfortunate turn of events. Sounds like there is hope to retrieve your bike. Stay postive, and just think how this will only add to the overall adventure in the long run. ...and drink another Guiness in the meantime..... or ten.

When I travel on my 950, I hate to stay overnight in a city of any sort; I always have the constant thought of "will it be there in the morning when I wake?" which then always leads to a sleepless night. I would much rather be in the middle of BFE where you can pitch a tent right next to your bike, but that isn't always possible.

And for those who are shitting on Dublin, it isn't like it is the only place where bikes are stolen, it happens everywhere, just some area's more often than others. ....Just go look at the Rockies regional section and you can easily see where the Colorado hot spot is at this time. I grew up New York, and I quickly learned to always be aware of my environment and those who exist in it. Bottom line is that any bike left outside is at risk. It sucks, but that is the world we live in.

If it turns out that your bike in unrecoverable, I vow to sell all my extra motorcycle & snowboard gear that is currently laying around unused, and then donating 100% of the proceeds to you for a replacement bike.

You will ride on.

el' hefe screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 08:04 AM
el' hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #508
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
'Twas sold.
Well, there are more to choose from....

I was just thinking about how much time you plan to travel and how far you will be going and what that cost would end up being. Maybe, you would enjoy the rest of your trip more if you were on a bike you really like instead of just "something"....

I'm sure it would be a tough decision but, maybe cut a section out (Japan or Austrailia for instance) freeing up money, to then afford a better ride for the rest of your trip. It seems like just not sending the bike on one or two plane flights and you have freed up enough funds to afford it.

Plus, from the looks of it, the ADV community is lining up to help out. (Me included) Get that Paypal Acct. set up....
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #509
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,383
Thank you Scotty !

Quote:
Wow ADV rocks! THANK YOU SCOTTY.IE !!!
Simply amazing this network works again, I certainly hope you get your precious back dude!!! That Biker.IE thread somebody posted says it was stolen from Talbot Street and was later seen on Dunsink lane (old info at this point, just collecting...)

I was going to contact the only tiny moto connection I have with Ireland and that is Sean (Sean Patrick Dillon) of HondaVsTheWorld.com fame. I thought perhaps one of his contacts can help out. On his Equipment page he says:
"On the subject of bike preparation I cannot thank Mick and Declan enough at Motorcycle City, Blessington St in Dublin..."
So hell maybe they can help too? Just doing all the data mining I can...

Sean is the crazy (I think Dubliner) who shipped his bike to Alaska and is riding to the bottom tip of S. America on his 1987 Honda 90 Cub. Yeah that's right a 90cc bike!!! Below is where I met him in Baja in Feb this year, currently it looks like he may be in Panama? or perhaps trying to get across the Darien Gap?? dunno.

Anyhow in the spirit of RTW and the ADV comunity and the love of the Irish spirit (my mother-in-law was 100% Irish), here is a pic of Sean in Mulege, Baja, Mexico from Feb 2012. Sure it's off topic but I'm just trying to add to the connection we all have on this big ol' planet and the ADV universe.

Noah, if Sean can make it on a 50, you can surely make it! (course the odds of it getting a Cub 50 nicked for a joyride are surely less than your KTM )

Keep the faith Noah! Good luck man!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #510
Motojon76
Dirty side down

Oddometer: 47
Oh man! I haven't read up on the thread a few days and this was NOT a welcome read. You have the best attitude anyone could expect by far. Lord knows I'd be likely to start slapping every punk I saw but, I'm Irish and have the temper to go with it. That would be unproductive to say the least.

That being said, I'm all in on the XT660. I'm looking to get one imported myself so I can be cool like RTWPaul. lol Get that Yammi, brother. I bled blue long before I bled orange. It's an amazing machine and if the Dakar girl's bike isn't available, I'm sure there are hundreds available on the Green Isle.

I'm not a fortune teller or anything but, I have a funny feeling you're going to end up with your Katoom soon.