Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #15331
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
Instead of putting a bigger and even heavier battery in the bike, I'd go with this one. It's much lighter, a little smaller and has had good reviews. Might even be cheaper than buying a bigger battery box and lead acid battery. http://www.amazon.com/BALLISTIC-PERF.../dp/B005KLOYYC
Sorry, but the one thing I am not a fan of is lithium batteries in my vehicles. I don't honestly need the weight savings since this bike is way lighter than I am used to and I could lose far more weight than what advantage the battery will ever provide. Also I am under the distinct impression that the manufacturers are still not quite there with making the battery rugged enough or making it compatible with the current charging systems....which seem to have enough problems as is. Thanks for the information though.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #15332
groop
So much to ponder

Oddometer: 3,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Sorry, but the one thing I am not a fan of is lithium batteries in my vehicles. I don't honestly need the weight savings since this bike is way lighter than I am used to and I could lose far more weight than what advantage the battery will ever provide. Also I am under the distinct impression that the manufacturers are still not quite there with making the battery rugged enough or making it compatible with the current charging systems....which seem to have enough problems as is. Thanks for the information though.
Not to start an argument on this topic, but I have gone through two 'traditional' batteries (one Yuasa and one off-brand) since 2007 for my '07 DRZ. Even though I put a kickstarter on my bike, I was frustrated by the short battery life I was experiencing. A few weeks ago I picked up a new battery from an inmate here and installed it before this past week's WMRS rally. The battery performed better than expected. Do yourself a favor and take a look at his thread here before you make any decisions; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629665

I can understand your feelings about not needing the weight advantage, but you will be adding a ton of weight with a big tank and other farkles.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #15333
blaster11
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by groop View Post
Not to start an argument on this topic, but I have gone through two 'traditional' batteries (one Yuasa and one off-brand) since 2007 for my '07 DRZ.
Two motorcycle batteries in 5 years...doesn't sound like a problem considering the abuse that they take. A guy I used to ride with put a un-named Lithium battery in his 650 prior to going on the CDR this year and it shook a part internally and left him in a lurch part way through. I have enough things to worry about than questionable batteries.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #15334
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
I understand completely, and my advice to use a lithium did not come from experience as I've never had one.

What I can say about lead acid is that it's a better known technology and when they do break, sometimes you can fix them. Either way, good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Here's a post I put on ridedualsport.com in their MacGyver thread:

Last week I dumped the bike on the left side and a rock punched a hole in the left side cover. I filled it with JB KWIK and was on my way. Luckily only a little bit of oil had leaked out.

A little while later, I noticed the LCD display flickering and stopped to investigate. I guess when I dumped, the negative battery terminal broke loose inside the battery. I was at a convenience store so I borrowed some aluminum foil and wrapped it around the terminal and stuck it back into the battery. It worked good enough to get the bike started and got me home.

Broken off terminal.

Since I didn't have the funds for a new battery, I figured I'd bring it into my dual sport luggage rack fabricating shop and see what I could do. I cut away the plastic with a razor blade and saw the broken post.

So I cleaned up the lead on the terminal and the battery post and put the terminal back in place and drilled a hole down through to accept a screw.

Then I roughed things up and put the JB KWIK to it. I made sure to get it into all the voids and under the plastic cover to lock it all together.

Then I ground down the screw head so it would fit into the battery box.

Not a brainy MacGyver, but a dependable repair.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott

jackpiner57 screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 02:52 PM
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #15335
blaster11
Enabler

That is an awesome repair!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #15336
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
I understand completely, and my advice to use a lithium did not come from experience as I've never had one.

What I can say about lead acid is that it's a better known technology and when they do break, sometimes you can fix them. Either way, good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Here's a post I put on ridedualsport.com in their MacGyver thread:

Last week I dumped the bike on the left side and a rock punched a hole in the left side cover. I filled it with JB KWIK and was on my way. Luckily only a little bit of oil had leaked out.

A little while later, I noticed the LCD display flickering and stopped to investigate. I guess when I dumped, the negative battery terminal broke loose inside the battery. I was at a convenience store so I borrowed some aluminum foil and wrapped it around the terminal and stuck it back into the battery. It worked good enough to get the bike started and got me home.

Broken off terminal.

Since I didn't have the funds for a new battery, I figured I'd bring it into my dual sport luggage rack fabricating shop and see what I could do. I cut away the plastic with a razor blade and saw the broken post.

So I cleaned up the lead on the terminal and the battery post and put the terminal back in place and drilled a hole down through to accept a screw.

Then I roughed things up and put the JB KWIK to it. I made sure to get it into all the voids and under the plastic cover to lock it all together.

Then I ground down the screw head so it would fit into the battery box.

Not a brainy MacGyver, but a dependable repair.
Is this the KLR thread????

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #15337
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

This is the Shorai Lithium Ion I have.....Saved 4 lbs over the SSW Super Start sized batt and cranks my big bore extremely fast.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #15338
211john
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo View Post
Grabbed too much front brake going into a corner and dumped the DRZ over, lost the left mirror. Was considering getting a pair of double take mirrors.

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/
Anyone else have any other good suggestions on aftermarket mirrors?
I bought the "Better folding mirror with mount" from Procycle. They say it's similar to the KTM. Looks a little different to me, but it has the same hinge joint so it folds out of the way. It seems to not hold it's position, but I can't tell if that's the mirror or me (haven't had it long). It is long enough to see around my arm which is nice. I primarily use my DRZ for off road so this is good enough. For commuting I would want 2 and I would like them to be more solid.
211john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #15339
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Quote:
That is an awesome repair!!!!
Thanks blaster, it's holding up good and I'd swear it has more starting power now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Is this the KLR thread????
No, but I'm just as frugal as those guys. I'm from Vermont after all. My neighbor is an old woman who uses ear wax for lip balm.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #15340
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

No, but I'm just as frugal as those guys. I'm from Vermont after all. My neighbor is an old woman who uses ear wax for lip balm. [/QUOTE]

Old 08-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #15341
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

While sorting thru my old MX Action mags I found the article from where BBR motorsports built a MX DRZ 400 with a Yoshimura engine. Its in the link below at year 2000 and they called it a RM 400. Its the bottom bike on the cover of the mag beside the year 2000.

http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Compan...istoryText.htm

Old 08-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #15342
blaster11
Enabler

Manual?

So I recently picked up my DRZ and am in need of a shop manual....any recommendations?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #15343
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Quote:
So I recently picked up my DRZ and am in need of a shop manual....any recommendations?
I downloaded mine from a website similar to this one for about the same price. My .PDF file isn't as full featured as some and some of the text is cut in half in a few places. I am happy with it though.

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...-drz-400-00-09

Old 08-12-2012, 03:37 AM   #15344
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Google is your friend. I wish I could remember where I got mine, but managed to find Service manuals and Maintenance manuals for both my DRZ 400 and KLX 650c. They are out there. (for free)
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #15345
blaster11
Enabler

Thanks for the feedback, I had already Googled it but wanted make sure I got a good one based on others experience.