User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #31
waynem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
why

why would vibrations "kill" a fuse box area?..I have the same wiring and just ran it from the battery under the tank panels to the GPS mount and have had no problems. Am I living on borrowed time?
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #32
cozmo2312 OP
Canyon Carver

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
I did it over the weekend. #1 is black, #3 is red, #2 isn't used.
thanks!

(taken before the wiring)

My Prints for sale
cozmo2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
I did it over the weekend. #1 is black, #3 is red, #2 isn't used.
I believe #2 is a speed sensor the factory GPS uses.

This harness is the cleanest way to get 12v to a GPS but it is switched and I like mine to stay on all the time. I still use an old Garmin 2620 that does not have an internal battery.
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
CrownVic55
CrownVic55

Oddometer: 122
Bar mount

I like your GPS set up . It gets the GPS up so your not heads down. Does your Rallye have a GSA windshield and mount? If not where did you get the bar and what type of GPS mount did you use?

Crownvic

CrownVic55 screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 07:45 PM
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #35
cozmo2312 OP
Canyon Carver

Oddometer: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic55 View Post
I like your GPS set up . It gets the GPS up so your not heads down. Does your Rallye have a GSA windshield and mount? If not where did you get the bar and what type of GPS mount did you use?

Crownvic
go here

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsSearch.aspx

and search this part number

71 60 7 707 369

it's the BMW accessory mount

works nice

My Prints for sale
cozmo2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #36
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,661
I have three bikes and a Garmin Montana that I share between them.

For each bike, I attached an SAE connector straight to battery and carried it forward to the handlebars.

I use the Garmin Rugged Mount, and use a RAM ball on each bike.

The stock power cord for the mount was a pigtail, so I soldered on an SAE connector.

Now one mount can be used across all three bikes (finally!!!)

I don't do any of the external antennas, XM radio or other stuff.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #37
Getbrass
Banned

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Zumo 550 wired to the Centech to the battery. Wired in the "always hot" mode.
Me too. It's worked well. I like being able to leave the GPS on during shorter stops, like for lunch and such.
Getbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #38
qman8
GS09

Oddometer: 519
Thumb GPS wired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getbrass View Post
Me too. It's worked well. I like being able to leave the GPS on during shorter stops, like for lunch and such.
I simply have my Zumo 550 plugged into the accessory outlet under the seat! Turns off automatically. What else are you gonna use that outlet for? Cant do heated gear with it (5A max). The only other good use it has is for connecting the Optimate Charger!

If you want your Zumo to stay on, just press "yes" when it asks if you want to continue on battery power. Better that than forget and leave the GPS on overnight to drain the bike battery.
qman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #39
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 281
ZUMO & Monatana vs. Nuvi Wiring

The Garmin Montana and Zumo series are significantly different than the Nuvi in how they are powered. The Zumo and Montana run on 12VDC so they can be directly wired to the battery or an ignition switched source. The Nuvi runs on USB power and need some kind of adapter.
NOTE: The new Zumo 350 is a bit different from the other Zumos in how it's powered- we'll talk about that in another post.

In the case of Garmin Nuvi sereies, the Garmin-supplied cigarette lighter adapter has the regulator inside. But there is more to it than that, the Nuvi needs to know whether it is connected to a dumb power source (the adapter) or a data source like a PC.

Garmin does this with the cable. If the GPS is connected to a PC with a standard USB cable the GPS will look for data and the opening screen indicates this. If it is plugged into a dumb charge some magic is required in the plug part to signal the GPS not to expect data and go directly into navigate mode. Here's a link to our post that explains it in more detail:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666156

So what does this mean to the rider? If you want to power a Nuvi from your bike you need to:
a)- Cut a cigarett lighter socket into your bike's electrical system and mount it on the bike so you can plug in your Garmin adapter
b) - Open up the Garmin adapter and modify it to wire it into your bike's electrical system and then cobble up a mount for it.
c) - Install a USB power port such as our TAPP Lite or CycleNutz ... AND use one of our Garmin Nuvi power cables that has the magic in the cable to trick the Nuvi into thinking it is connected to the Garmin cigarette lighter adapter.

Needless to say since we sell weatherproof USB power ports for motorcycles and the Garmin Nuvi power cable, we think option (c) is the best. It is clean, simple to install,is weatherproof if a TAPP CAPPed cable is used, and gives the rider the option of plugging in other USB powered devices such as cell phones.

BTW - this USB power port/cable setup works for the Garmin Oregon as well.

Hope this helps
-Shov
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #40
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,829
Having more than one GPS and more than one bike I might want to use each GPS on, I have a cigar-lighter outlet (or several) on each bike. For the Garmin 2610, which requires 12V, has no battery and is waterproof, I just keep using it in the rain and make sure I swab any moisture out of the outlet when I get wherever I'm going (usually not necessary as there is some self-amalgamating tape round the plug that just about seals it into the socket). I use a power cable with no speaker as I don't need the spoken instructions anyway.

My Tomtom GPS is not waterproof, does have a good battery and requires 5V from a voltage-converting adapter - as do most GPS units. The normal cigar lighter device that came with the GPS is the one I use. If I am out in the rain, I simply unplug the power adapter and put a sandwich bag over the GPS.

On my old RT, the outlets are up under the fairing and out of the weather so it's not an issue.

I have considered hard-wiring the Garmin power cord to my bike and may get around to it one day but the current arrangement works fine. I might wire in a bluetooth transmitter for the speech as well but it is a solution to a problem that doesn't really bother me so probably more effort than it's worth.

To the OP, if the box you are looking at is not supposed to be vibration resistant, it seems rather pointless to me. Better, might be a cigar-lighter outlet in a location where you can keep the normal plug-in adapter out of the rain. Under the tank or seat perhaps. You could even just tuck it behind the instruments, wrapped in a plastic bag if you were moving the GPS back and forth between vehicles. You can tape the adapter into the socket so it doesn't come loose while riding and simply plug in a spare if it fries. Much cheaper than the apparently fragile box too.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #41
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Quick Disconnect Power for Garmin Zumo and Montana GPS

The Garmin Montana and Zumo series GPS run on 12VDC power and utilize cradles that are wired directly to the battery. We have found this to be a pain in butt since the cradle can't be removed easily. Our solution was to cut in a weatherproof plug/socket assembly so the cradle can be disconnected easily.

Here's the setup for the Montana on our KTM 990 Adventure:

Power is one of our Baryl Panel Mount sockets on the top of the dash. The Baryl Plug was cut into the Garmin power cable downstream of the "Y" so the audio cable was preserved. You can see the audio cable tucked in between the cradle and the top of the speedo.
The mount is a custom design that uses a bicycle wheel skewer for easy removal and tilt adjustment.

Here's the Zumo 450/550 setup on my Harley Davidson Road King. It uses one of our weatherproof Baryl Universal Mount attached to the bars. This was our first GPS power set up and was driven by a bad experience on the road when I had my Zumo mount stolen overnight. It was bad enough loosing the cradle but what was worse is not having my GPS for the rest of the ride. Now I can remove the cradle easily and take into our hotel room at night.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #42
cascade63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Maybe relevant, maybe not. But when I had my off a few weeks ago it took a few hours for the rescuers to find me. Once they did it was into the ambo and off to hospital. They kindly wheeled my bike off the road to the side under a tree. Thats where it stayed until a fellow inmate picked the bike up for me some 24 hours later.
When he delivered the bike home he informed me that when he got to the bike the GPS (Zumo 550) was still on. He turned it off, loaded the bike up and a further 24 hours later the bike was home in my garage.
The zumo was wired direct to the battery, so I thought ah well that will be flat. With a shrug I thought I'd give the bike a kick to see how flat, yes the lights were dull but she fired up first time.

Goes to show, how little the GPS's draw, so don't be paranoid going direct to battery. Either that or I have a magic battery
cascade63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #43
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

GPS Current Draw

GPS current draw is very low due to the fact that it is only a receiver. Wiring directly to the battery shouldn't be a problem even with the smallest bike with tiny batteries.
My son-in-law has an old XR600 with a Baja Designs light kit on it with a dinky 700mA battery pack that is a set of shrink wrapped AA batteries. We put a Garmin 60csx on it and it doesn't cause any battery drain issues.

We install the quick disconnects on all of our bikes so we can remove the cradle when we don't need it on the bike, not because it drains the battery. I take my Zumo cradle off the Road King when I'm in town and don't need nav and at night when I'm on the road to keep it from growing legs and disappearing.
I swap the Montana between bikes so being able to move the cradle from one to the other easily saves having to buy multiple cradles.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #44
CrownVic55
CrownVic55

Oddometer: 122
Just ordered the mount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmo2312 View Post
go here

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsSearch.aspx

and search this part number

71 60 7 707 369

it's the BMW accessory mount

works nice

I just ordered the mount online from Max BMW. Should be here in about a week.

Thanks for the post. Great stuff.

Crownvic
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #45
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Garmin ZUMO 350 Quick Disconnect

OK it's official, we are GPS wh.....s. We already have too many: a couple of old Nuvi's, 60CSx, old Zumo 450, Oregon 600, and a Montana 650. However, when we saw the Zumo 350 we had to have one to see if we could power it with USB using our TAPP all weather USB port port. Here's how it went.

The Zumo 350 operates on 5VDC; no more 12VDC like the other Zumos. The motorcycle cradle is still wired to the battery but it has an in-line 5VDC regulator. To convert to USB power we cut off the regulator, shortened the cradle cable and soldered on a USB Type A plug. One of our TAPP CAPPs was added to make it weatherproof. Note that the GND wire is actually the braided cable shield so there is only one jacketed wire is in the cable.

We're putting the GPS on our KTM 690 Enduro but it's in WI not here in CA so I put it on my Road King for testing. The Zumo 450 mounts on the left bar but we put it on the camera RAM ball on the right bar so the cable would reach the TAPP Lite USB power port.

The install worked out great. Now we can take the cradle off when we don't need it or want to move it to a different bike.

Gone in 60 Seconds!

It's too early to get a hande on the Zumo 350 but so far it looks like a pretty good GPS. Our only concerns at this point are the power connection at the cradle and the non-replaceable battery.

The power connection only uses two of what we call the "power dots" that Garmin uses on motorcycle mounts. In comparison Montana has seven.
The battery in my old Zumo 450 is still good after all these years but I'd still like to be able to replace it if something went wrong with it.