User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
GB. OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Decat Headers, are they worth it?

One of the last things untouched on my 800 is my downpipes (or Headers as you Americans say) I did my 1200 and the throttle response improved a bit, but I did add a techlusion controller. The question is "is there any noticeable gain in performance, smoothness, economy etc?" to warrant paying all that cash? Would I need a fuel controller or would the alterations be within the ECUs range of control? I know there is a weight saving but lets be honest, you could eat less pies to get that small amount off. Also which ones, Arrow, Remus, QD seen the price of them babies!!
GB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB. View Post
One of the last things untouched on my 800 is my downpipes (or Headers as you Americans say) I did my 1200 and the throttle response improved a bit, but I did add a techlusion controller. The question is "is there any noticeable gain in performance, smoothness, economy etc?" to warrant paying all that cash? Would I need a fuel controller or would the alterations be within the ECUs range of control? I know there is a weight saving but lets be honest, you could eat less pies to get that small amount off. Also which ones, Arrow, Remus, QD seen the price of them babies!!
Usually the headers are the most important part in improving the performance, as they are the ones dealing with the exhaust exit pulses.....flow....etc. Once the gasses gets to the pipe ( muffler) it matters not too much....keeping the inner diameter constant. That said... My personal opinion here is the benefit of loosing the cat. It is a choke hold on the gasses, and imho....is the reason you get better throttle response. The slightly bigger diameter i don't think will yield the super performance. But as you touched on.... if the motor flows better it needs more gas to produce the power. Then you need to chip it... You see where I'm going here..... Which is all good, but unfortunately I have not been pleased with the reply's here from the guys that have done this. You need a good tuner for the chip..... But say if you get your hands on a DJ PC-5...with autotune...... you can then create two maps.... One for power, and one for economy. I personally are on the ladder hopping for a set in the near future...... because of the header'less cat. Not for more power.... but better throttle response....and a cooler running system, as the cat has to run lean, and hot to be effective, at the cost of less flowing gasses. My two cent's.....

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
GB. OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Judging by the lack of response its not a popular mod. Arrow seem the only manufacturer to post a dyno chart and the gains seem quite small considering, but its economy and smoothness I'm after with a view to better throttle response.
GB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
perrypogue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
V & m straight pipes

[FI just spent a grand putting V&M 2 to 2 straight pipes with all baffles removed....I can tell you one thing...that dude is LOUD...I can't feel any real power changes...it was already quick...but now I think the engine is running cooler...so, that's good, I suppose. ONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
perrypogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrypogue View Post
[FI just spent a grand putting V&M 2 to 2 straight pipes with all baffles removed....I can tell you one thing...that dude is LOUD...I can't feel any real power changes...it was already quick...but now I think the engine is running cooler...so, that's good, I suppose. ONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
What is w&m straight pipes....... Like literally pipes down the side like Harley's ......?

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote