Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #61
luniz7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Nice. Pretty soon you'll get a sticker for that plate along with a real registration card (vs. the signed-off application they send back with the plate). That card'll get you a Colorado title.
Nice, I take it you have went this route before?
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #62
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by luniz7 View Post
Nice, I take it you have went this route before?
In Colorado, even... but it was a cage in 2004. For some reason, Vermont sends plates and stickers from separate places, so you get a plate with a T on it and then a sticker and a real registration card a couple weeks later.

You probably will have to remind the DMV people that Vermont doesn't title older vehicles, and they'll probably have to go look it up. It only took me about 5 minutes longer than a normal Colorado DMV trip.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #63
luniz7
Adventurer

Quote:
In Colorado, even... but it was a cage in 2004. For some reason, Vermont sends plates and stickers from separate places, so you get a plate with a T on it and then a sticker and a real registration card a couple weeks later.

You probably will have to remind the DMV people that Vermont doesn't title older vehicles, and they'll probably have to go look it up. It only took me about 5 minutes longer than a normal Colorado DMV trip.
Awesome. Thanks for the extra info! They didnt give you much fight? Other than looking it up?

luniz7 screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 05:14 PM
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #64
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the extra info! They didnt give you much fight? Other than looking it up?
They don't really have a choice. It's a bit out of the ordinary since all western states title everything with a license plate, but it's not something that they'll have trouble figuring out. It's not as if you had a title and lost it--for an old vehicle regsitered in Vermont there is no way to get a title, so the registration is the proof of ownership. In my case, Colorado made a typo in my VIN; fixing that was way more trouble than the initial transfer.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #65
luniz7
Adventurer

Quote:
They don't really have a choice. It's a bit out of the ordinary since all western states title everything with a license plate, but it's not something that they'll have trouble figuring out. It's not as if you had a title and lost it--for an old vehicle regsitered in Vermont there is no way to get a title, so the registration is the proof of ownership. In my case, Colorado made a typo in my VIN; fixing that was way more trouble than the initial transfer.

Yea, it is odd that Vermont doesnt title old motorcycles. Great for people like myself though. Just curious, do they for vin check and all that good stuff or do they just print up the title?

luniz7 screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 06:25 AM
Old 07-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #66
luniz7
Adventurer

Small update. Just received my sticker and real transferable registration in the mail today. Will update again when I decide to go to the CO DMV to get the title.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #67
Spitfire151
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I'm super stoked to try this in PA, I thought all hope was lost. They wanted me to jump through quite the hoops but now there's a light (it seems).
Spitfire151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #68
JustBelowCloudNine
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Where Have You Been All My Life

This forum is sweet!! Thanks for the outstanding information. I have a 1985 Suzuki GS 450, only 7530 miles I am trying to sell. Very hard to do without a title unless you wanna take $100 lol. I live in Chicago and I am going to attempt to make this happen as I had purchased this on ebay, received the signed title, but lost it before I had a chance to register it (bike had a few issues so it went into storage anyway). I will try to come back with updates of my own. Glad to see a lot of happy people riding around on their once thought to be never register-able motorcycles! I will definitely be attempting to obtain a title from IL if/after I receive my VT registration. Thanks again!
JustBelowCloudNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 AM   #69
JustBelowCloudNine
n00b

Questions Before Proceeding

A few questions before I proceed to attempt to get this done.

My Bill of Sale is almost 8 years old. Is this going to be an issue? I could probably "transfer" it to an updated form if I'll be forced to pay late registration fees or something.

My Bill of Sale is also for Wisconsin, and I live in Illinois, is that going to be an issue?

The only fees I can see that I would be required to pay are

$44.00 for Motorcycle 1 year registration
6% Sales Tax of the purchase price I paid.

Am I missing anything? Did anyone put the entire fee on one check, or two separate checks?

Looks like I just include those two forms, a check and mail to Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles, 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05603-0001 - please let me know - thanks!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #70
luniz7
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBelowCloudNine View Post
A few questions before I proceed to attempt to get this done.

My Bill of Sale is almost 8 years old. Is this going to be an issue? I could probably "transfer" it to an updated form if I'll be forced to pay late registration fees or something.

My Bill of Sale is also for Wisconsin, and I live in Illinois, is that going to be an issue?

The only fees I can see that I would be required to pay are

$44.00 for Motorcycle 1 year registration
6% Sales Tax of the purchase price I paid.

Am I missing anything? Did anyone put the entire fee on one check, or two separate checks?

Looks like I just include those two forms, a check and mail to Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles, 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05603-0001 - please let me know - thanks!!!
I personally would have your neighbor or good friend do a new notarized bill of sale. Doesnt matter what state the bill of sale is from as long as its you as the buyer. Its $44.00 + the 6% tax on the purchase price. Fee is on one check. My fee was $74.00. You will probably have to have a Visual Vin Inspection as well. This is super easy. I got mine done at one of the emissions stations here in CO. It was $20 and they just make sure that the VIN hasnt been modified.

Read here: http://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations...inverification

luniz7 screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 01:45 PM
Old 08-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #71
luniz7
Adventurer

Ill be going to the CO DMV one day this week to get a CO Title and will report back. Stay tuned.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #72
luniz7
Adventurer

Quote:
If you did not purchase the motorcycle from a dealer (if you purchased it from a private individual) you will also need a "Visual Verification of Serial Number" completed.

This might help some people out with what to do on the form. Remember this is for a 15+ year old motorcycle. Im not sure what you would do for something newer. You need to fill out the following boxes on form #TA-VD-119.

1A- will be NEW
1B
3C
4A- will be you as the owner, ignore the VT DL
5B- will be the seller you bought it from
6A- purchase price of the bike and the 6% tax of the purchase price
8- sign and date
9- Registration fee. $44.00. Take the tax amount from 6A. You will fill out Registration, Tax, and the Total Fees.

Send completed Vermont registration form, check for the fee (made out to Vermont DMV, VIN verification form, and bill of sale to 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05603-0001.

luniz7 screwed with this post 08-11-2012 at 01:40 PM
Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #73
JustBelowCloudNine
n00b

Quote:
I personally would have your neighbor or good friend do a new notarized bill of sale. Doesnt matter what state the bill of sale is from as long as its you as the buyer. Its $44.00 + the 6% tax on the purchase price. Fee is on one check. My fee was $74.00. You will probably have to have a Visual Vin Inspection as well. This is super easy. I got mine done at one of the emissions stations here in CO. It was $20 and they just make sure that the VIN hasnt been modified.

Read here: http://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations...inverification
Awesome, thanks for the info! I have a 1985 Suzuki GS 450, so not a problem there! What do you do if the motorcycle isn't running, do they send someone to your house to check out the VIN or am I going to have to tow it there? Either way, thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #74
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Quote:
Send completed Vermont registration form, check for the fee (made out to Vermont DMV, VIN verification form, and bill of sale to 120 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05603-0001.
Did Vermont accept the Colorado VIN form, or did you get the emissions station to fill out the Vermont form? I never had to deal with that because my VT registrations were for a KZ400, a GPz750 that had been tagged in VT before, and a cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBelowCloudNine View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info! I have a 1985 Suzuki GS 450, so not a problem there! What do you do if the motorcycle isn't running, do they send someone to your house to check out the VIN or am I going to have to tow it there? Either way, thanks for the clarification!
Note that VIN checks are only required on motorcycles that are 500cc or over (or 300cc or over AND <15 years old, which would also require a title), so your '85 GS450 wouldn't need a VIN check for Vermont.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #75
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 2,946
Idaho charges sales tax on vehicular transactions. I took a sketchy transaction to the dmv, Nevada title, multiple owners, and I didn't chisel them on the tax.
My experience (Idaho) is, if you don't chisel them on the tax, they'll process it.
A positive attitude and the willingness to pay tax makes all the difference.
Leave tax disputes for another day. Pay up, don't try the Sportster for a hunsky dodge.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote