Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
browneye OP
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,036
Browneye's Laguna Seca Trip 2012

My old riding buddy Johnny Ringo said we should ride up together so we met in Gorman for breakfast at the Ranch House. A good breakfast to start the day on this glorious morning. We gassed up and headed for Frazier Park to ride out thru Pine Mt. Club. We were going to take all the twisty roads on our route to Laguna Seca in Monterey.

Ringo rides a 990 Adventure and I was on my new Tiger 800XC. Since we both ride an awful lot of dirt this was going to be a nice diversion for us.

In no time we were out to Maricopa and then on to Taft and out the 58. We were making good time. Well, too good of time. As we went by one of the farm compounds out past Carrizo Plain, ol’ Johnny-law was there to greet us. With blue lights flashing we just pulled off.

Of course my standard m-o is to get off and take my helmet off so they can see this old gray-haired guy. Our friendly lawman says, “Do you know the way to Laguna Seca?”

Funny…I was thinking of some way to deny it. Everybody is just booking through here on their way to the races.

“Hmmm…clocked you at 85. Some of these guys are way over a hundred. One of them was 140 and he just kept going so we have the planes after him. I’m gonna give you guys a warning this time, so just keep it down and be safe okay?”

WTF? I’ve never heard of a warning for thirty over the speed limit. I guess the old man trick worked. Well, at least this time.

So, on up the 101 to G18 to Hunter Liggett. Yes, we were going to do all the twisties. Half way thru the army base Ringo decides we gotta check out this huge rock outcropping. Afterall, he is a bigtime trials rider, so yeah, he had to try his 990 out on them.

The twisty road down to Hwy 1 did not disappoint. The views up and down the coast are definitely fantastic. We met a couple of other riders from out of state. They had been doing some touring and were headed to the races for the weekend as well.

The terminus of Naciemento-Ferguson Road, overlooking the Pacific Ocean

Big Sur, up Highway 1

Looking south down Highway 1

A couple a old-time dirtbikers enjoying a road ride. Well, at least yours truly is getting there. Ringo is still a young buck.

I left the house at 7:30am and we pulled into camp at the raceway at 6:30, just in time for a cold brew. Whew, what a long day. 401 miles. Base camp at last.

More to come...
Next segment: The Races

browneye screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 07:12 PM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote