Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #15346
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
pdf is for fastest way to get the job done, book(manual) is for tea time enjoyment
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #15347
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
I have both...figure out a way for me to upload....and I will. Yahoo mail wont allow it. (too big of a file)
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #15348
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Oddometer: 1,008
Change of plans...

DRZ recently got a new stable mate. It can handle touring, dirt roads, luggage, and passengers. Basically it's saving my DRZ from an unfortunate identity crisis.

See the family resemblance?

Now the DRZ will get stripped back down for more of a short rally/open woods bike. It will never be light and agile but it'll damn sure eat up anything more than tight single track. I'm thinking lose the bags, regear down to 14/44 or 14/47, and go from there.
luni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #15349
marine_mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
DRZ recently got a new stable mate. It can handle touring, dirt roads, luggage, and passengers. Basically it's saving my DRZ from an unfortunate identity crisis.

See the family resemblance?

Now the DRZ will get stripped back down for more of a short rally/open woods bike. It will never be light and agile but it'll damn sure eat up anything more than tight single track. I'm thinking lose the bags, regear down to 14/44 or 14/47, and go from there.
Dibs on the rack and bags....
marine_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #15350
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post
Dibs on the rack and bags....
Never considered parting it out but I suppose that could cover some of the list of stuff I'm looking at... I'll sleep on it.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #15351
Mike_drz
Banned

14/44 = 0.3181818...., 14/47 = 0.297872..... , 0.318 : 0.298 = 1.067..... assume you run 70mph at xxxx rpm, now the same xxxx rpm you run would be 1.067 x 70mph = 74.6979... mph, 1.067 increasement in leverage too ;) (classic science of lever)
Old 08-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #15352
Mike_drz
Banned

more torque is required, can your engine feed that before stall? 44 rear sprocket is quite safe, I go for a 41. will put it on today to find out
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #15353
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Well considering I'm at 15/44 now, lower top end, with more torque is the general idea...
Old 08-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #15354
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,103
Luni , I am looking forward to hear feedback on the Super Tenere!!

I had not realized that this bike made it to the States yet!
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #15355
blaster11
Fidus et Audax

Oddometer: 6,232
Thumb

Well I took the new to me DRZ out in the woods today and had a hell of a time! I need to get the battery issue resolved and need to set the suspension up for me but overall I am very happy. Might have to go out next weekend as well.
Adventures of Blaster and Dorito
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #15356
The Recycled Teenager
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine_mike View Post
I have both...figure out a way for me to upload....and I will. Yahoo mail wont allow it. (too big of a file)
Use something like Dropbox and put the link up don't forget to make the folder accessible to all

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #15357
luni
A51 Tour Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Luni , I am looking forward to hear feedback on the Super Tenere!!

I had not realized that this bike made it to the States yet!
I hadn't realized people were anxiously awaiting it's arrival for the last 4 YEARS(!). I was looking around for a bigger adventure tourer. Yes, I could do a couple hundred miles a day on a DRZ, yes I could carry a passenger, yes I could load up luggage, but I didn't actually LIKE doing any of those things on the DRZ and that was the problem. I read every review on the Tiger 800 XC and the F800, I briefly skimmed the 1200cc's saw the price tags and forgot about them, then I looked at the 2012 Suzukis, looked at the new Wee and the new Vee and the new Vee led me back to the ST which was "too big" when I was looking at 800s initially. I came to the conclusion that the 800s were trying to be more dirt bikes than road bikes and, in my opinion, wouldn't really do either particularly well and I already have a good dirt bike/bad street bike, what I really needed was a good street bike/bad dirt bike. After doing a little homework, I determined that I was getting a great street bike and a fairly competent dirt bike. After owning it for a week with 500 miles of commuting, a little dirt road, and a day trip it definitely fits the bill and after I set it up for me it'll be exactly what I was looking for.

In my opinion, it's a perfect compliment for the DRZ.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #15358
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,103
Quote:
I hadn't realized people were anxiously awaiting it's arrival for the last 4 YEARS(!). I was looking around for a bigger adventure tourer. Yes, I could do a couple hundred miles a day on a DRZ, yes I could carry a passenger, yes I could load up luggage, but I didn't actually LIKE doing any of those things on the DRZ and that was the problem. I read every review on the Tiger 800 XC and the F800, I briefly skimmed the 1200cc's saw the price tags and forgot about them, then I looked at the 2012 Suzukis, looked at the new Wee and the new Vee and the new Vee led me back to the ST which was "too big" when I was looking at 800s initially. I came to the conclusion that the 800s were trying to be more dirt bikes than road bikes and, in my opinion, wouldn't really do either particularly well and I already have a good dirt bike/bad street bike, what I really needed was a good street bike/bad dirt bike. After doing a little homework, I determined that I was getting a great street bike and a fairly competent dirt bike. After owning it for a week with 500 miles of commuting, a little dirt road, and a day trip it definitely fits the bill and after I set it up for me it'll be exactly what I was looking for.

Well I had remembered that there was a petition here on ADV in regards to the Super Tenere not being available here in the states which is probably why I thought this bike hadnt been available currently. Maybe it was another bike that I was thinking of but regardless I appreciate the feedback, and glad you are enjoying a new bike. Congrats!

Are the Kenda Big Block tires available for the Super Tenere and a high mount front fender?
Old 08-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #15359
dasvis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it out the door?

2009 Suzuki DRZ400S
dasvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #15360
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Quote:

I arrived to the same conclusion and have the same bikes :

DRZ-E: I'm doing enduro and many KTM and WR riders are surprised that they can't leave me behind despite having that "old fashion" bike.

DRZ- raid: with little modifications my E transforms in a very capable light adventure bike for hard off road trips (Morocco for example).

Yamaha Super Tenere 1200: the perfect big trail bike. I can do all sorts of trips on and off road.

You can be surprise how good is in off road as well. Look at this videos if you whant an example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Tenerextz660?feature=mhee
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote