User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 239 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #24871
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
so the sun ringle zuzu BMX pin pedals I'd put on my last hybrid are in fact bent and damaged from the car crash that destroyed pretty much every other part of the bike.

does anyone have a favorite brand of BMX pin pedals for my new hybrid? I like pedals that spin freely, and aren't too heavy, and of course, aren't too expensive (say, under $50 for a pair online...)
Old 08-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #24872
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Truvative have some nice ones. Bit over $50, though. Had some of those Suns for a good number of years. Decent pedals. Can't stand bent spindles.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #24873
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Truvative have some nice ones. Bit over $50, though. Had some of those Suns for a good number of years. Decent pedals. Can't stand bent spindles.
yeah, me either. hate having my foot squirm around a circle on each pedal stroke. the suns have cromoly spindles, they only bent slightly, but there's a chip out of the aluminum casting exposing the bearing seals, so as far as I'm concerned, they are toast. the FSA crank arms actually bent. the frame and wheels are twisted like a pretzel.

these truvativs? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...&ModelID=31556
Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #24874
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Those are the ones. Pretty spikey, but the spindles and bearings are very nice and they are relatively light weight.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #24875
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
I don't know how to suffer like you guys.

I'm about a 2 hour sissy max, and then ready to move on to something else.

Somebody said it earlier, "just because you have a bike dosen't make you a cyclist"

Word up, I'm not even pretending to be one.

HOT DAMN! screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 07:11 PM
HOT DAMN! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #24876
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post

does anyone have a favorite brand of BMX pin pedals for my new hybrid? I like pedals that spin freely, and aren't too heavy, and of course, aren't too expensive (say, under $50 for a pair online...)
I rock THESE Wellgo B150's on my jump bike, cheap and best of all bullet proof.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #24877
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! View Post
I rock THESE Wellgo B150's on my jump bike, cheap and best of all bullet proof.
good size for a large/wide foot? my walking shoes that I like to ride in are 12EE...
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #24878
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
At the risk of sounding like a jerk, did you ever think that maybe you know so much about pedal internals and common pedal problems because you limit you budget to $50 yet also expect light and high performance? It's like the old racing adage...performance, lightweight, cheap. Pick two. To bastardize the original a bit, anyway.

Every since a buddy turned me onto the DMR Vault pedals, well, that's about all I'll consider (for platforms, I mean). I have a size 14 foot and weigh just over 200. They're light, they spin nice, and they're really well made. They're also 2.5 times your budget, however. Again, two out of three. But to me the pedal is one of the most critical bike components. If it fails at the wrong time, you hurt a lot.

--Donnie
Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #24879
pierce
Aven'Tourer

I'm putting these platforms on a $350* hybrid. I'm not spending $150 for killer pedals, I'm not doing massive downhill, or big air jumps, I'll be riding bike paths, around town, and occasional gravel roads.

The Sun Ringle Zuzu's are just fine for my use, I was just curious what experiences other folks had out there with alternatives, as most of my bikes in the past have used SPD or old school KKT style platform pedals, or toe clips. this is a city bike hybrid, I don't want to wear clipless shoes, and I realized I am way past wanting to use toeclips, and remembered someone suggesting bmx style pin platforms awhile back, so I had bought a pair of those Suns at a LBS for too much on a whim, and had just put them on my old hybrid a few weeks before it got totalled while on the front hitch rack of our van...

*ok, its a $500-ish hybrid I picked up for $350 as a dealer demo
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #24880
Weirdo
Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer: 4,456
Decent day on the bike. Came in mid pack and our plan worked out fairly well. Stayed with the fast pack to about 130k when the hills started up again in ernest. At the end the first place finisher was about 4:30 ahead of me and the guy I ride with. Pretty spent.

Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #24881
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,151
Quote:
I'm putting these platforms on a $350* hybrid. I'm not spending $150 for killer pedals, I'm not doing massive downhill, or big air jumps, I'll be riding bike paths, around town, and occasional gravel roads.

The Sun Ringle Zuzu's are just fine for my use, I was just curious what experiences other folks had out there with alternatives
My one complaint about the Sun Ringle's is that they don't do a very good job of preventing my feet from sliding around on bumpy terrain. I have a set of Specialized pedals on my 29er that does a much better job. Not only are there more pins on them, but they're spread out more evenly, not just around the edge of the pedal like they are on the Ringles. Thing is, the Specialized pedals cost me over $100, but if you can find a less expensive pedal with the same features, buy them.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #24882
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,699
@Pierce: its still clipless FTW

Pearl Izumi makes some 'running shoe' looking shoes so you're not even dealing with the stiffer soles of even entry level mtn bike shoes.

Rest week for me this week. Hour easy today. I'ma gonna ride with the slow folks Wed. Another hour's toodle Thurs and 2hrs on Sat.

:aaaaahhhhhhrelaxation

M
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #24883
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
I both fully agree and fully disagree with Gummee on the clipless thing.

First, there's nothing wrong with riding on flats. Heck, I saw more than a couple guys riding them in the Leadville 100 two days ago. And more and more riders from the west coast are doing XC on them again because of the DH stuff they like to do, too. They're coming back thanks to good platforms and good shoes for them being available (used to be everyone wore skateboard shoes because of the soles). You'll build MUCH better bike handling skills on flats if you start trying to get even *some* air without killing yourself, too.

But like Gummee said, there are now some better shoes for people who want to be clipped in but DON'T want to deal with the bullshit of most cycling shoes. In fact, I rode Pearl Izumi Fuel shoes for Leadville. They feel like a normal walking/running shoe when on your feet with the exception of occasionally hearing/feeling that cleat if you're on uneven surfaces. I've only recently started riding platforms on my pump track bike and for years have worn fully rigid Sidi Dominators on the mountain bike. But fully rigid shoes hurt my feet and back if I have to walk much, and I knew I'd have to do some walking at Leadville (okay, a lot of walking). So I tried some more flexible shoes and have really found no good reason to be mountain biking in rigid shoes. I don't believe there's any significant performance advantage. I do think there are advantages to being clipped in, but like I said, platforms have their place, too.

Anyway, the original question wasn't framed in the "$350 bike" category, but I'm not sure I'd change my answer. You asked for performance and lightweight. You'll reap those benefits even on a $350 bike. Still, I understand the budgetary needs, too...but this is biking where EVERYTHING is some kind of compromise.

Plus I guess the thing to remember is $125 pedals can move from bike to bike for a long time...

--Donnie
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #24884
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
But like Gummee said, there are now some better shoes for people who want to be clipped in but DON'T want to deal with the bullshit of most cycling shoes. In fact, I rode Pearl Izumi Fuel shoes for Leadville. They feel like a normal walking/running shoe when on your feet with the exception of occasionally hearing/feeling that cleat if you're on uneven surfaces. I've only recently started riding platforms on my pump track bike and for years have worn fully rigid Sidi Dominators on the mountain bike. But fully rigid shoes hurt my feet and back if I have to walk much, and I knew I'd have to do some walking at Leadville (okay, a lot of walking). So I tried some more flexible shoes and have really found no good reason to be mountain biking in rigid shoes. I don't believe there's any significant performance advantage. I do think there are advantages to being clipped in, but like I said, platforms have their place, too.
Agreed. I ride an older pair of Specialized Tahoe, both road and MTB. My rigid stuff has gone into a storage tote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
Plus I guess the thing to remember is $125 pedals can move from bike to bike for a long time...
Agreed.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #24885
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,403
i wear my casual cycling shoes all say at work. m520 cleat ....
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: