Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #15361
ZukiNoomin
The Dude abides

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
So I recently picked up my DRZ and am in need of a shop manual....any recommendations?
Not the best, it's a non-searchable pdf, but it is a free DRZ Service Manual
Check the name on the 4shared account, it should be: "Zukinoomin on ADVRider" PM me with any questions.

ZukiNoomin screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 05:19 PM
ZukiNoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #15362
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
DRZ using oil

Hey guys,

I have noticed recently that my 2005 DRZ-400S is using oil lately. Something to the tune of 250ml (0.26 quarts) for only about 200 km (124 miles) of riding. The bike doesn't blow any smoke at all (nothing on cold start up or reving) and it leaves no puddles on the garage floor. So... where exactly is the oil going? The bike only has 18000kms (11185 miles). I have owned it for 10000 of those kilometers and I've been changing the oil at the about 3000km intervals. Using 10w40 (doesn't really get very hot around here) motorcycle specific oil (non-synth).

Any help you guys could offer me would be very much appreciated.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #15363
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
OK, this Super Tenere has sparked my interest! The accessories are quite pricey though at nearly 1 grand for the Yamaha panniers, $500 crash cage, skid plate, decent tires, etc...

Edit.....!!!! Add exhaust and fuel tuner with a tall windshield.

However it still looks like a value compared to the other mfr offerings in this class.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935

bobbed06 screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 07:27 PM
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #15364
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 977
i need to replace my carb

on a 2003 klx400sr. it has the mikuni 36 carb currently. do you think a mikuni carb off a 2007 drz400sm will bolt on without any adapters? i see one for sale on thumpertalk.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #15365
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
This is the Shorai Lithium Ion I have.....Saved 4 lbs over the SSW Super Start sized batt and cranks my big bore extremely fast.
Shorai is Lithium IRON, not Lithium Ion.

There are significance differences between these two "Lithium" technologies worthy of consideration.
  • Lithium IRON is non toxic and can be disposed of in a landfill,
  • Lithium IRON doesn't have tendencies to overheat and catch fire like Lithium ION does. (even Lead Acid out-gasses Hydrogen and is prone to catch fire)

The other poster with the desire to avoid Lithium batteries may not want to lump all "Lithium" batteries together until they have learned a little more about Lithium Iron.

Ballistic and Shorai are Lithium IRON batteries.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:31 AM   #15366
blaster11
Ecuador here we come

Oddometer: 6,686
The real issue for me and any Lithium battery is that to be quite honest regular batteries work just fine for me and lithium is not quite where I want it to be as far as robustness, reliability, safety, and compatibility with my charging system. I work with a wide range of Lithium batteries in my daily job and we have problems regularly. These are all the common types built into custom applications so I am quite familiar with the market place. I regularly put them on shake tables and run them through a wide range of temperatures and I see very clearly what they are capable of and not capable of first hand. Honestly to each their own...I don't have a battery problem which I need a lithium battery to solve.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #15367
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Shorai is Lithium IRON, not Lithium Ion.

There are significance differences between these two "Lithium" technologies worthy of consideration.
  • Lithium IRON is non toxic and can be disposed of in a landfill,
  • Lithium IRON doesn't have tendencies to overheat and catch fire like Lithium ION does. (even Lead Acid out-gasses Hydrogen and is prone to catch fire)

The other poster with the desire to avoid Lithium batteries may not want to lump all "Lithium" batteries together until they have learned a little more about Lithium Iron.

Ballistic and Shorai are Lithium IRON batteries.
I learn something new everyday
LUNI, I just searched and the bike I was thinking of was the 660 Tenere that was not available here in the states.I mistook the 1200 for that bike, regardless I am diggin the 1200 version cuz I am a big feller anyway.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935

bobbed06 screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 06:55 AM
bobbed06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #15368
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
The real issue for me and any Lithium battery is that to be quite honest regular batteries work just fine for me and lithium is not quite where I want it to be as far as robustness, reliability, safety, and compatibility with my charging system. I work with a wide range of Lithium batteries in my daily job and we have problems regularly. These are all the common types built into custom applications so I am quite familiar with the market place. I regularly put them on shake tables and run them through a wide range of temperatures and I see very clearly what they are capable of and not capable of first hand. Honestly to each their own...I don't have a battery problem which I need a lithium battery to solve.
I have been curious when the LiFe manufacturers will be able to build the appropriate charging system into the battery and better manage the charging output from most motor vehicles. Having a separate charging plug is a good first step. I guess it is challenging to put regulation between the cells and the load, and motor vehicles share those terminals for both duties.

It probably won't be long before we see these technologies with built-in smart chargers and circuitry that prevents incoming current from reaching the cells without passing through this circuitry. It is a new game with a lot of promise, considering the energy/weight ratio, and should have enough demand from the automotive market to stimulate development.

I would be curious to know what sort of issues you have discovered with batteries that share the cell design used in Ballistic or Shorai batteries, particularly in regard to the testing method and battery longevity in this application.

For now I am pleased with my 4-cell Ballistic on the DRZ. the weight reduction up high and to the rear is something that makes a difference I can feel when riding. That alone was enough reason for me to go with this battery.

It appears to be a neat, completely sealed package and I would like to know if there are know issues from testing that indicate any possibility of a high failure rate due to exposure to the type of vibrations found on a dirt bike. This is the sort of issue that Lead Acid batteries had (prior to using mats to prevent shorting between plates), and is what had me looking for alternatives due to the short life that lead acid offers.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #15369
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
DRZ recently got a new stable mate. It can handle touring, dirt roads, luggage, and passengers. Basically it's saving my DRZ from an unfortunate identity crisis.

See the family resemblance?

Now the DRZ will get stripped back down for more of a short rally/open woods bike. It will never be light and agile but it'll damn sure eat up anything more than tight single track. I'm thinking lose the bags, regear down to 14/44 or 14/47, and go from there.
You are clearly a DRZ hater.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #15370
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
I put on a JT steel (weights 555 grams) 41 rear sprocket today, cut off 2 links off the early brought 112 non-o ring chain. now 14/41 110 links runs right at middle of the chain tensioner

70mph 's buzzy rpm now only comes on till 80mph, curise extremely happy at 75mph. 95mph max at about 9000rpm. each gear shifts much more smoothly now on road it seems still have plenty torque left offroad

the fire road is still short to tell
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #15371
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_drz View Post
I put on a JT steel (weights 555 grams) 41 rear sprocket today, cut off 2 links off the early brought 112 non-o ring chain. now 14/41 110 links runs right at middle of the chain tensioner

70mph 's buzzy rpm now only comes on till 80mph, curise extremely happy at 75mph. 95mph max at about 9000rpm. each gear shifts much more smoothly now on road it seems still have plenty torque left offroad

the fire road is still short to tell

I wouldn't like 14/41 off road on anything other than fire roads. The 15/47 setup I have is on the tall side for off road work and its 7% lower than 14/41.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #15372
tallpaul63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
newbie question

I'm new to DS riding, though I've done some miles on my DRZ on the roads.

I'm trying to prepare for roadside repairs, and need to know this:

Can I carry one spare tube only, sized for the front, and use it on the rear temporarily?

Is that what most folks do?

Thanks!
tallpaul63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #15373
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaul63 View Post

Can I carry one spare tube only, sized for the front, and use it on the rear temporarily?

Thanks!
Yeah, no problem
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #15374
ptgarcia
Huh?

Oddometer: 509
Quote:

Thanks!

That's what I do.

'06 DR-Z400S
ptgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #15375
Naq
Kitsune

Oddometer: 200
Quote:

Thanks!
Carry a good small patch kit as well and know how to use it. Getting 2 flats on the same ride is a distinct possibility. DAMHIK

'02 FZ1, '02 DRZ400S, '09 TE250
Naq is offline   Reply With Quote