User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #226
El Explorador
Radical Explorer

Oddometer: 269
Rice

Nobody has mentioned it, how come? Or did I miss it?

I always keep a ziploc bag of rice. Here in Canada we have Bulk Barn, stores where you can serve yourself rice in a bag in whatever quantity you wish. It fills you up, you can add anything you want to it for flavour, and is cheap. A multivitamin + rice is a cheap alternative to eating "well" if money is a primary concern.

Protip I haven't seen mentioned:
Toss your wet electronics in there to dry them. I have rescued several devices (including a waterproof camera that seemed to only be waterproof in regard to getting the water _out_) using this method.

Also, for the hammock campers - I've not yet tried attaching one end to the bike, wouldn't it tip over?

Great thread, thanks for the tips Jamie et al.
El Explorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #227
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Explorador View Post
Also, for the hammock campers - I've not yet tried attaching one end to the bike, wouldn't it tip over?
Mine certainly would.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #228
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Explorador View Post

You can make it work. You dont have the bike support the end of the "rope" just get it (the rope) up off the ground and anchor the end in the ground or some other point past the bike.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #229
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Subscribed

You guys are awesome! It's like KLR owner heaven.
cheap bastard that I am...
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #230
Feyala
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMFDOC View Post

You guys are awesome! It's like KLR owner heaven.
cheap bastard that I am...
Hey man, our grandparents called that frugality and it used to be a virtue...

... at least that's what I tell myself.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #231
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Enjoyed meeting you the other day. I have enjoyed your tips on traveling light. Less is more. I learned that on our ride to Alaska. If you are in Texas(Granbury) you have a place to stay and dinner is included. Also FREE Beer. Hope to see you again down the road...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #232
NCK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
love the rice to get moisture out of electronics idea!
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #233
ChadHahn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
A couple of thoughts that occurred to me while I was reading this thread.

Consumer Reports did a little piece on bags of tuna. When you weigh actual tuna in both the cans and the bag then the price is about the same. You are paying for a lot of water in cans of tuna and it is also slightly cooked in the canning process which doesn't occur when it's bagged.

In Denny's restaurants there is a free magazine that lists lots of motels in a particular region. It is full of coupons for cheap stays. They might have them at other places but I've only seen them at Denny's.

Chad
ChadHahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:46 PM   #234
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I found this excellent thread today. Great ideas. Thanks all. I don't think anyone has mentioned 99 Cent Only stores. You can almost get almost anything in those stores, from canned food to fresh produce, to underwear and toothpaste. Everything is...... you guessed it 99 cents! I don't know if these kind of stores are everywhere, but here in Southern California they are all over the place. Great places to shop.

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #235
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I've not read the entire thread, but I have seen several people mention that truck stops are a good place for a shower. What I've not seen mentioned is that truckers get a free shower with every fill up. Many times a driver is just leaving home or does not need a shower that day. They will sometimes leave their shower slip at the fuel desk for someone else to use. It doesn't hurt to ask if anyone has left a shower slip behind. You can usually get a driver to shout out on the CB for an unused shower slip.

I'm just coming off a week long trip, and during a visit to a National Park I saw the sign listing rates for park passes. $80 for an annual pass looked like a good deal, but it also said that a permanently disabled lifetime pass was available. I am classified as disabled by the Veterans Administration and Social Security, so I asked the ranger what I had to do to get a pass. I was expecting that I would have to fill out a form and mail it to someplace in Washington D.C. Instead, she told me I just had to sign an affidavit that I was disabled and had paperwork to prove it. The ranger then handed me a card and said to sign the back. She told me that I would need to show the card and an ID whenever I enter a National Park. It is also good for 1/2 price camping at the parks. If you happen to be disabled (or at least dishonest), you might want to get in on this action.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #236
SlowRoll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by ______ View Post
I'm just coming off a week long trip, and during a visit to a National Park I saw the sign listing rates for park passes. $80 for an annual pass looked like a good deal, but it also said that a permanently disabled lifetime pass was available. I am classified as disabled by the Veterans Administration and Social Security, so I asked the ranger what I had to do to get a pass. I was expecting that I would have to fill out a form and mail it to someplace in Washington D.C. Instead, she told me I just had to sign an affidavit that I was disabled and had paperwork to prove it. The ranger then handed me a card and said to sign the back. She told me that I would need to show the card and an ID whenever I enter a National Park. It is also good for 1/2 price camping at the parks. If you happen to be disabled (or at least dishonest), you might want to get in on this action.
Not very admirable.
SlowRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #237
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935
http://store.usgs.gov/pass/general.html for more information about the passes. My mom was traveling with us in '05 and qualified for the Senior pass, so she got one of those, which allowed us in the van to visit the parks.

As for the disabled pass, here are the requirements from the website:
Quote:
  1. How do I prove I'm permanently disabled? Some examples of acceptable documentation include:
    • Statement by a licensed physician;
    • Document issued by Federal agency such as the Veteran's Administration, Social Security Disability Income, or Supplemental Security Income;
    • Document issued by a State agency such as a vocational rehabilitation agency.
I'll pass on the dishonest. I can wait another 7 years for the Senior pass.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #238
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGBrian View Post
http://store.usgs.gov/pass/general.html for more information about the passes. My mom was traveling with us in '05 and qualified for the Senior pass, so she got one of those, which allowed us in the van to visit the parks.

As for the disabled pass, here are the requirements from the website:
I'll pass on the dishonest. I can wait another 7 years for the Senior pass.
And you can get your Senior Pass while entering any NP that has a staffed kiosk. I got mine at Crater Lake and missed getting it at Yosemite by two weeks.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #239
HellCat650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Great post....lots of good tips there I'll have to remember!

Matt
Old 09-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #240
fpianka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
What age is considered senior and would it apply to Canadians visiting the US?
fpianka is offline   Reply With Quote