User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #76
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I have a GPSMap 478 and while trying to send tracks over to the device from Basecamp the tracks would become full. So I would delete all tracks on the device using the device to do so (not seeing an option in Basecamp to do this). However as soon as I go to send the tracks again the device gives me the error message. I'd look after the transfer was done and there would be exactly the same tracks that I had deleted to clear the device up.

I deleted any trace in Basecamp that I could find of these tracks and tried to select only a small portion of the tracks I wanted to have on the device so it would not become full. I also went through the device and deleted the tracks, again. But when I do the transfer the exact same tracks from the very start were back on the device.

What am I missing? Please don't tell me Mapsource is the only way to fix this as I do not have access to the disk to install it.

Help! Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #77
DRTBYK OP
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider View Post
I have a GPSMap 478 and while trying to send tracks over to the device from Basecamp the tracks would become full. So I would delete all tracks on the device using the device to do so (not seeing an option in Basecamp to do this). However as soon as I go to send the tracks again the device gives me the error message. I'd look after the transfer was done and there would be exactly the same tracks that I had deleted to clear the device up.

I deleted any trace in Basecamp that I could find of these tracks and tried to select only a small portion of the tracks I wanted to have on the device so it would not become full. I also went through the device and deleted the tracks, again. But when I do the transfer the exact same tracks from the very start were back on the device.

What am I missing? Please don't tell me Mapsource is the only way to fix this as I do not have access to the disk to install it.

Help! Thanks
First, you aren't giving us enough detail as to what you are doing when and where - in BaseCamp or on your 478.

I would recommend the following procedure:
1. Delete all tracks from your 478.
2. Then turn it off and then back on and make sure your track log is empty. If it is, connect the 478 to your computer.
3. Then start BaseCamp.
4. Since we don't know how you have your BC data organized, select 15 or fewer tracks that you want on the 478.
5. Now right-click on the selected tracks and direct it to the 478.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #78
roadspirit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
apologies if this has been answered somewhere else:

I have routes, tracks and waypoints in Mapsource format (gpx files). Usually a gpx file of mine contains several routes and tracks and waypoints. What would be the best way to transfer them in a Basecamp working environment?

south america trip
roadspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #79
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadspirit View Post
apologies if this has been answered somewhere else:

I have routes, tracks and waypoints in Mapsource format (gpx files). Usually a gpx file of mine contains several routes and tracks and waypoints. What would be the best way to transfer them in a Basecamp working environment?
Use 'Import' to bring your gpx files into BC. 'Export' will save any changes you made to the gpx file. Each imported gpx file will appear as a 'List' under 'My Collection'. You can create 'List Folders' as well to group things. Below is an example of my collection of RoadRunner magazine *.gpx file downloads.

Some BC video tutorials: http://gpstracklog.com/2012/02/garmi...tutorials.html

Hope that helps!

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 08-13-2012 at 09:19 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #80
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
You will quickly find that you need to figure out a way to organize these lists if you have a lot of files.

One obvious way is to organize the lists the way you have your Mapsource folders organized - assuming you are happy with that.

I see Daryl organizes things by date.

I organize mine first by type of ride - DS or Single Track and then by location first by state or multi-state big rides and then by region especially for New Mexico.

This organization really works well for me in BC. I can click on a state/region list and see all the rides for that state or region.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #81
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I see Daryl organizes things by date.
Just for that project. A different project might be organized in a different way. Below is my collection of Adventure Cycling Routes.

daryl

dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote