User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #24916
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
If it's a wide spray there is less velocity and more chance you'll get yourself. Even with bear spray, you don't want to be directly down wind. I know a guy who tried spraying a mama bear and just got himself. I'm amazed he's still alive, honestly..

I picked some up a while ago for my girlfriend that was for sale at a bike shop. She has a lab pup she is doing the basic training for guide service, so takes it where ever she goes (lucky). Needless to say she gets assaulted by off leash dogs all the time, or those on the super duper extendo leashes (..oh he's harmless..), or people that are ignorant enough to just start petting her dog without asking (.. I have a dog, where can I get one of those vests.., umm, no! this is serious what she does, it's not a pet!)

Sorry, anyway, it's called "Halt!" No idea if it's still available. The packaging looked like it could have been twenty years old.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #24917
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,016
indeed, heading straight at the dog has always worked pretty well for me. it freaks them out. trying to avoid the dog by going wide guarantees an intercept attempt, its in their genes as a pack hunter. I bent a few Silca Imperial pumps whacking this one idiot dog on the bottom of the hill I lived on back in the early 70s.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #24918
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
i've been curious if the Keen SPD sandals are any good. probably more suited to casual hybrid bike riding than proper road biking but ya never know.
I LOVE my Keen SPD sandals but I ride a recumbent, so the biomechanics are not the same as with a road bike.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #24919
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut View Post
I LOVE my Keen SPD sandals but I ride a recumbent, so the biomechanics are not the same as with a road bike.
how is their sizing? I have a several year old pair of Keen Newport sandals, size 12 fit me perfectly, just nice and loose without being sloppy. when I recently got a pair of Keen brand casual shoes ('Bidwell Lace' in black), I had to go up to size 13, the 12's were really tight, which surprised me.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #24920
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,377
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to ship a bike from MA to NM? Thinking about bringing my mountain bike here sometime in the near future if it's cheap to try some unassisted riding.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #24921
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to ship a bike from MA to NM? Thinking about bringing my mountain bike here sometime in the near future if it's cheap to try some unassisted riding.
ebay vendor charged me $65 to ship a bike fedex ground from coast to coast, so I imagine its somewhat cheaper than that. it was boxed in a bicycle box, front wheel, handlebars, pedals, and seat removed, a plastic protector was on the fork tips, the front wheel had the skewer removed and plastic protector caps over the axles, the frame, forks, and cranks were wrapped with thin foam held in place with blue masking tape, the loose parts also wrapped in foam, and masking taped to the frame so they wouldn't shift. there was some crumpled butcher paper on top to take up the slack. it arrived in perfect condition.

you can probably get a bike box and those plastic protector bits for free from an LBS when they are unboxing new bikes, call around.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #24922
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Shop around. Shipping large items is getting pretty expensive.

In my experience, avoid UPS for the shipping of a complete bike.

Try to ship it to a business if you can. It makes it cheaper.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #24923
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo View Post
What brand and size works better on a charging dog?.
I have "Muzzle" brand. But, I think most all of them spray a stream. I've stopped a German Shepherd and 2 out of 3 Great Pyrenees (the 3rd got the message, when it saw the other 2 get sprayed). These dogs all stay well away from me, now.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #24924
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
ebay vendor charged me $65 to ship a bike fedex ground from coast to coast, so I imagine its somewhat cheaper than that.
Nope. Businesses get reduced rates, depending on how much they ship through FedEx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Yep. UPS, using a standard bicycle box, will be over $100. I shipped a CF TT bike from IL to MN and it was just under $100, even after reducing the box size. UPS is expensive!
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #24925
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,594
Grayhound has been suggested on other bicycle forums as an inexpensive shipper. You might simply ask a bike shop - most appear to get volumn discounts. If you have a buddy who has a fed ex account from his job, you might be able to use his account number and reimburse him.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #24926
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,678
Read the 'drivetrain efficiency' section

Interesting stuff

(for us geeks)

M
Old 08-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #24927
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Read the 'drivetrain efficiency' section

Interesting stuff

(for us geeks)
I knew about the sprocket sizes. That's one of the reasons many of the pro tour teams run larger-than-normal idler pulleys. However, I figured cross-chaining would've had more impact.

I read an article, a while back, where one of Cancellara's mechanics said he actually bends normal chainrings. I can't imagine having that much power.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #24928
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Great deal!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #24929
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
how is their sizing? I have a several year old pair of Keen Newport sandals, size 12 fit me perfectly, just nice and loose without being sloppy. when I recently got a pair of Keen brand casual shoes ('Bidwell Lace' in black), I had to go up to size 13, the 12's were really tight, which surprised me.
not directed at me but

I have a pair of their coronado sandals in size 9 that fit snugly. When I got the spd sandals I went up 1/2 size so I could wear goretex socks when commuting in the winter. I can wear the spd sandals comfortably with or without socks as they are very adjustable. So as far as I can tell the two different sandals run the same in size.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #24930
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Shop around. Shipping large items is getting pretty expensive.

Try to ship it to a business if you can. It makes it cheaper.
I'll look into this....I know locally owned shops on both ends so maybe it can work out.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: