Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #46
dwa5591
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdymoose View Post
Agreed...so for more info on my quote above of ~$1150/year. 32 yrs old, 90292 zip (SoCal), clean record on both bike & car (no accidents & no reported speeding tickets), MSF course, bike garaged, no alarm system, 5-10k miles per year. Quote is from Geico who I've been w/ for less than 1 year, having recently switched from AAA.
Iam 57, Live in Indiana and have no wrecks or tickets. Still think $595 is high, Maybe wrong.
dwa5591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #47
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Here is the Pyramid "fenda extenda" for your info. It looks like it will keep a good bit of muck off the front of the engine...

So pardon me, not trying to sound rude, but you seem to spend an awful lot of time working on a brand new bike. Do you actually ride it?I'm curious how the bike works on longer rides. I'm sure day to day stuff it's probably great, but if you took off for a week straight on the road, how would it do? Hitting a bit of everything from highways, to back roads, and dirt roads.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #48
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,184
I pay $225 a year for my ST1300, $500 deductible, high limits, unisured motorist, stacked with my car policy. I know it is difficult to compare premiums between people in different areas but for comparison my 700X is $181.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #49
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
So pardon me, not trying to sound rude, but you seem to spend an awful lot of time working on a brand new bike. Do you actually ride it?I'm curious how the bike works on longer rides. I'm sure day to day stuff it's probably great, but if you took off for a week straight on the road, how would it do? Hitting a bit of everything from highways, to back roads, and dirt roads.
I have been building long-distance bikes for decades. I only use bikes for long rides. I don't commute or run errands on them. I spent six months on my last BMW before it ever hit the street. Since then, it has been ridden plenty. There are things I know I wanted to do to the Honda, like windscreen, lighting, GPS, luggage, engine protection, circuits for heated clothing, and ergonomics. It didn't take but a short ride to know that the seat and suspension were sub-par. I have a week-long ride to New York state the end of August which may bring other things to light, but I expect that I have the big ones covered. Modifications to suit me and the long-distance mission profile are part of the hobby interest to me. To me, buying one ready to go would be like marrying a pregnant girl.

If I took off right now on a long trip I am sure I would re-confirm that the seat and suspension are bad. I took the forks off and compressed them on the bench and they are full of drag and stiction.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #50
rowdymoose
Carpe Diem-seize the carp

Oddometer: 225
Anyone know how to check for error codes on this bike? I'm getting the Check Engine Light to come on on every ride now of about 5 miles or more (still under 100 miles total as I don't want to go on a long ride if there's something more serious).

Do modern bikes have OBD2 ports that I can connect a reader/scanner to?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #51
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Anyone know how to check for error codes on this bike? I'm getting the Check Engine Light to come on on every ride now of about 5 miles or more (still under 100 miles total as I don't want to go on a long ride if there's something more serious).

I have a service manual ordered for the bike but do not have it yet. I could not find any info on the web on this topic. Lots of bikes have proprietary protocols and connectors. I had to get a special code reader for my BMW. Older Hondas used to output a code of long and short blinks that were referenced in the service manuals. Bike off, sidestand down, turn key on but don't start it, and check blinks. Not sure what they did on this one yet.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #52
rowdymoose

Quote:
I have a service manual ordered for the bike but do not have it yet. I could not find any info on the web on this topic. Lots of bikes have proprietary protocols and connectors. I had to get a special code reader for my BMW. Older Hondas used to output a code of long and short blinks that were referenced in the service manuals. Bike off, sidestand down, turn key on but don't start it, and check blinks. Not sure what they did on this one yet.
It's surprising that as prevalent as the OBD2 protocol is on cars (and on Triumph bikes from what I hear/read) that all bike manufacturers haven't adopted this tech yet. Can't add much cost on a per unit basis...at least I wouldn't think so. This is frustrating to not trust my new bike enough to be able to ride it much...
Old 08-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #53
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:

Is there no warranty on your bike? Less than 100 miles? Man, take it to the dealer before you do something to give them issue with fixing the bike under said warranty. I feel bad for you and all with a brand new bike but come on, let Honda fix it. It might be something they really need to know about.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #54
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Is there no warranty on your bike? Less than 100 miles? Man, take it to the dealer before you do something to give them issue with fixing the bike under said warranty. I feel bad for you and all with a brand new bike but come on, let Honda fix it. It might be something they really need to know about.
Yes it's obviously under warranty but finding time to go drop it off, and having someone follow me to get a ride home is another thing. That's the plan for this weekend more than likely. Just being the enginerd that I am...wanted to do some diagnosis myself.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #55
swiss-happy OP
Rubberburner Joe

Oddometer: 23
Hello all

Happy to see so many pictures and so much discussions here!

I really admire beemerphile for his hobbying ways...good man!
However, the Russell seat is just ketchup with ice-cream...no fit. Is that a chopper seat?

Stay cool and post more!
~Joe
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #56
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss-happy View Post
However, the Russell seat is just ketchup with ice-cream...no fit. Is that a chopper seat?
As the post said, it is from my BMW and I knew it would not fit. I just wanted to see if I could get an idea of what a Russell would look like if it did fit. I plan to have one built for the Honda as almost every bike I have owned ends up with one - even my scooter.

A Russell that fits is like walnuts and maple syrup on ice cream.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #57
MoodyBlues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Pick the wife's NC700XDC up this Friday. Man, it was crazy getting insurance going on it. Apparently Progressive had never "built" the DC "dual clutch" aka automatic version in their system before. They say it will be done tomorrow. We'll see. Looking forward to playing with it on the ride home for her.

'11 BMW F800GS lava orange, '08 Kawasaki Concours, '06 ZX-10R track bike
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #58
rowdymoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Pick the wife's NC700XDC up this Friday. Man, it was crazy getting insurance going on it. Apparently Progressive had never "built" the DC "dual clutch" aka automatic version in their system before. They say it will be done tomorrow. We'll see. Looking forward to playing with it on the ride home for her.
So in talking to geico, they only have the DCT option, or at least that's all they had when I called a couple weeks ago. So even though the two bikes are $2k in difference, the quote was the same for both bikes.

However if I wanted to add a $500 accessory to the base bike (still less in value than the DCT option) it's quote would've been higher than a DCT bike. I somewhat understand the logic being that the accessory is more likely to be damaged in a tip over, or more likely to be stolen, etc, but overall it's tough to compute that a $7k bike would be the same per month as the same bike with $2k more in parts & technology built into it...
Old 08-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #59
Maytag Repairman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
Oh hey, that reminds me. I updated my Progressive policy online. After 3 tries, it was still changing one of the digits in the VIN and calling it a different model. Finally, I just hit accept and called them up right away to correct it. The web site said it would be a few days before I could see my updated policy online but I forgot about it and still need to login tonight and double check everything.
Maytag Repairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #60
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
I have been building long-distance bikes for decades. I only use bikes for long rides. I don't commute or run errands on them......

I don't own one of these bikes but I like them and have been following this thread. My concern riding this bike on an extended ride is the small gas tank compounded by the fact the seat has to be lifted up to add fuel. I realize it's capable of getting good mpg but what about when it's loaded down with bags, luggage strapped on the seat, and ridden at higher speeds? Just wondering if you've considered utilizing some of the faux tank and plumbing it for auxillary fuel?
milo is offline   Reply With Quote