Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
I've got a 30" inseam ride a bunch of different KTM's. It's about technique not getting your feet flat on the ground.
Macho macho Maaaaaan,
I wanna be, a Macho Man...
Macho macho Maaaaaan,
I wanna be a MACHO!

But it's true... Don't think you need to put the feet down and you will ride differently.

Knowing your bike also helps:

MACHO!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Ed~ screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 08:30 PM
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 AM   #17
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,872
Well, I guess dropping them is better than crashing them.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
been there, done that . My bike isn't a GS, but I'm tiptoed on it. leisurely stop at a red light turned into a fall-off when I put the left foot down and initially didn't feel any ground there. doesn't help if you negligently let the handlebars turn in the direction of the drop all the while clamping down on that front brake. now I take a quick look before I stop to know what I'm up against. and keep the bars straight. and don't let that left foot step on any loose gravel or oil. (these really are all the thoughts going through my mind when coming up to a stop now).

It's helpful when there's a transient gentleman at the red light next to the interstate on ramp who will come out and help you pick up the bike
Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #19
FlyFishJeff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
It's helpful when there's a transient gentleman at the red light next to the interstate on ramp who will come out and help you pick up the bike
I guess the world needs "transient gentlemen" too!

Thanks for sharing your story.
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishJeff View Post
I guess the world needs "transient gentlemen" too!

Thanks for sharing your story.
It was definitely a humbling experience. I distinctly remember rolling up to the intersection and thinking "ugh, a homeless guy. He's gonna ask for money." Interesting how the situation reversed itself and he was the one helping me. I do believe that what goes around comes around, and I wish the best for that guy (whoever he was) ... he really helped me out of a little jam.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #21
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,145
A few weeks ago I pulled over on highway 1 to let 2 cars go by, the bottom of my left jeans leg got caught on the footpeg....my right foot was on gravel and the onshore wind was blowing me over to the left. I fell over right into the road and thought somebody was going to run over my head.

Cars pulled over everywhere to help, one car just drove right around me. After the bike was righted with assistance I told everybody "that was my first dump" with a big stupid grin on my face. Everyone left pretty quickly at that point.....

Either a car almost ran me over or it looked far more dramatic than it felt, everybody was very concerned that I was ok. Nice people to stop and help.

Later in a cafe I heard somebody say. "there's that bike...."

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #22
M.Mars
híppos leukós

Oddometer: 202
yup done that. Front wheel on the flat road while the rear wheel was still on a steep driveway. Needless to say where i wanted to put my foot was way way down.
M.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #23
Cale_Kat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Mars View Post
yup done that. Front wheel on the flat road while the rear wheel was still on a steep driveway. Needless to say where i wanted to put my foot was way way down.
I'm in.... Wrong foot down and over she went.

Cale_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #24
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post

Knowing your bike also helps:

MACHO!
Pretty sure that is a robot cop form the future.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #25
LittlePosum
Scrappy Marsupial

Oddometer: 300
I got schooled

My DRZ when down and took me with it. First time laying it down happened on Saturday a nice day ride circumnavigating Mt. Hood began with a burley detour up Mt. Defiance. I was way in over my head skill wise for that trail. I fell 3 times on the way up and once on the way down. My bikes not so shiny anymore! Lucky it only suffered a half busted clutch lever. I learned a lot and didn't crash again... well, until the next day.
LittlePosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #26
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
I dropped my V-Strom twice in the first two weeks of owning it. Practicing very tight figure eights as soon as I got it home, and hitting the brakes out of a very steep driveway and putting the downhill foot down...down...down. Tore my rotator cuff in that one. Arm was numb for 10 minutes.

I have mainly owned sports bikes, and the added CG height can take some getting used to. I put on a PCV and now have no fear of gassing it in tight turns.

Damage has been limited to a broken front indicator and some scratches. Engine crash bars make a huge difference. The indicator is is the only thing that sticks out beyond them.

0 mph falls are the worst. Nothing makes you feel more like a noob (with the possible exception of forgetting to reset he kill switch, or gearing up and losing your keys...only to have your buddy ride up and pass them to you from your top-box!)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
FlyFishJeff OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale_Kat View Post
I'm in.... Wrong foot down and over she went.

Awesome! Props to you for getting a picture! The last thing on my mind after the drop was stopping to take a pic. I was so embarrassed that I could not pick that bike up fast enough!
FlyFishJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
eh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishJeff View Post
Awesome! Props to you for getting a picture! The last thing on my mind after the drop was stopping to take a pic. I was so embarrassed that I could not pick that bike up fast enough!
Somewhere between taking off the riding gear and finding the camera I think I would have switched the ignition off before taking a photo...

Dripping fuel from the tank vent lines is usually too much in my mind to allow for finding just the right angle for that priceless shot however.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote