User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #781
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Lower

Any news on a lowering link yet. It doesn't have the traditional dog bone but more of a U-Shaped bracket.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #782
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
The CRF250L came into the shop today. I went and saw it and said I would take it. It is a perfect bike for the $$$. The quality is much better than expected. Overall fit and finish are top notch. Higher than the WRR. Not near as high spec. but very well finished. I will be taking it home tomorrow.
Congratulations! Please post photos and a ride report.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #783
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Congratulations! Please post photos and a ride report.

Spud
Hmmmm...Spud.....surprised to see you over here.......do YOU have your eye on one of these?????

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #784
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
Hmmmm...Spud.....surprised to see you over here.......do YOU have your eye on one of these?????

BP
I visit several threads, BP. As with many others, I am very interested to learn more about this bike. However, I do wish the CRF250L weighed less than 320 pounds. My XR650L weighs about 340 pounds with 4.7 gallons of fuel after I removed 22 pounds of excess weight, then added a luggage rack, skid plate, et cetera.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #785
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I visit several threads, BP. As with many others, I am very interested to learn more about this bike. However, I do wish the CRF250L weighed less than 320 pounds. My XR650L weighs about 340 pounds with 4.7 gallons of fuel after I removed 22 pounds of excess weight, then added a luggage rack, skid plate, et cetera.

Spud
Hey Spud.

I do not think the weight will be as big an issue as imagined, either as much as it's number would indicate, or in comparison to bikes like our XR650Ls. It ain't light, but the motor size and weight distribution are far, far more modern than the 650L, DR650, DRz, etc. Mine is lightened extensively, but compared to a WR250 mine feels MUCH heavier, vastly different. Newer bikes have much more compact motors, and thus more compact chassis.

The motor, and the reciprocating mass, are also lighter. 650L motor is 100+ lbs, my guess is about 30 less for the CRF. The CRF is not light, but I am sure that it will be easier to manage than some of the old-tech designs with similar or even slightly less weight.

Compared to an XR650L, I was shocked at how much lighter and easy on the upper body a WR250 is.

It is surprising that it weighs that much. Honestly I cannot understand where it comes from. It is pretty easy to remove 20 - 30 lbs from an L, it'll be interesting to see if this bike is similar.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #786
xplodee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
My bike is promised to come in tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed!

T
xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #787
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Picked up my CRF today

Plans changed again, so I went up this morning. Las Vegas to Orem, UT. Left at 0300 and was in the shop by 1000 and out by 1030. $4495 OTD. I'm taking it to the DMV tomorrow, where I will pay tax, title and license. I may get a short street ride out of it this week, but I'm crazy busy at work until the 24th, so I don't know when I'll get it in the dirt. I want to get at least some handguards on it before I do. I'll have more pics tomorrow.

Sunrise at 0515, north of St. George.

Bike pics in the truck.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #788
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,402
sweet Tony sweet
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #789
sunset_ryder
aka "toots"

Oddometer: 483
Oh! How can you possibly resist rippin that thing through some dirt? You obviously demonstrate much more restraint than I could muster. Congrats and good for you. There is a lot of us lurking around, waiting to see the reviews on this little red headed step-child. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #790
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset_ryder View Post
Oh! How can you possibly resist rippin that thing through some dirt? You obviously demonstrate much more restraint than I could muster. Congrats and good for you. There is a lot of us lurking around, waiting to see the reviews on this little red headed step-child. Let us know how it goes.
I was fortunate to get the day off to do this. I may have an opportunity on Friday to get in the dirt for a bit. I'll post pics and impressions if I do.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #791
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Here is a list of accessories available in Australia, some are from Thailand, the ones starting with A and the others from Japan, these are Australian dollars +10% tax. I don't know what is in the lowering kit yet but it must be extensive!

RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #792
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED1 View Post
Here is a list of accessories available in Australia, some are from Thailand, the ones starting with A and the others from Japan, these are Australian dollars +10% tax. I don't know what is in the lowering kit yet but it must be extensive!

For that much money I will have new legs sewn on my wife. It's not my fault she is short.
All kidding aside I think that price must be for modified suspension. I know you can lower the forks about 7/8" and the bike is very similar to any other it is just that the dog bones are welded to the spacer tube between them. If anybody hears anything please post up.

I think I will have it picked up today at lunch.
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #793
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Here is a list of accessories available in Australia,
RED1, please check your PMs.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #794
xplodee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
all these pics are KILLING ME!!!!! I am really hoping the dealer calls today with my bike ready to pick up. It's supposed to rain later but whatever.
xplodee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #795
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Nice to see they're finally showing up in the states. Shouldn't be long until it arrives in Ohio, no? Chomping at the bit to pick it up