ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #991
950v2
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Recent citizen of Stockholm. Earlier Boden, Sweden
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nice1trev View Post
Hello all,
i need some parts for my highland , can we still get these from highland in sweeden ??
Yes. Contact the company Rollox. It is the same guys that worked at Highland Sweden.
http://www.rolloxab.se/
Good service as usual.
950v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #992
Thumber
Sweden
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 31
Electric failure

Hi

Just experienced a sad thing. Starter wont run. Turns out to be an uncharged battery. This is due to a broken regulator (The aluminium thingie next to the horn) Replaced it and all was fine until today. The battery is not charged enough to turn the starter but fuelpump and all other gadgets work just fine. My conclusion is: Alternator broke down again.. :-( . I will replace it but it is likely to break down again if i can not find the source of my trouble. What say you? Battery?, Stator?....

/TF
Thumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #993
Oldobi
Olli
 
Oldobi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Germany, Paderborn
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
Hi

Just experienced a sad thing. Starter wont run. Turns out to be an uncharged battery. This is due to a broken regulator (The aluminium thingie next to the horn) Replaced it and all was fine until today. The battery is not charged enough to turn the starter but fuelpump and all other gadgets work just fine. My conclusion is: Alternator broke down again.. :-( . I will replace it but it is likely to break down again if i can not find the source of my trouble. What say you? Battery?, Stator?....

/TF
Hello

I think the batery. Try with a car batery.

Olli
__________________
---------------------------
Highland 950 Outland 1999 still with carb.
Suzuki DR 650 R 1992
Honda CR 250 R 1994
BMW F800GS 2010
Oldobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #994
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me
 
pennswoodsed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Reading,Pa
Oddometer: 674
triple application

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I found that in my searching, but it was sold three months ago. Thanks for trying.
What year model,and fork type ,diameter ,oh and offset is this? I have some sets .
Regards,Ed
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #995
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado
 
Lorretto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 311
Thumber:


I've been chasing some of the same issue with the electrics. i keep throwing parts at the bike with fleeting joy. I just ordered one of the sealed led voltage indicators from an inmate on vendors and will mount it on the bike to try and catch what is going on with the electrics before I toast another battery.


Pennswooded

NSX found a KTM triple don't know if it worked out for him or not.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #996
nsx
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Oak Ridge, TN
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorretto View Post
Thumber:

NSX found a KTM triple don't know if it worked out for him or not.
Yes, the KTM triple works. A KTM expert looked at the Highland and said the forks are identical to what KTM uses.

I really want to find a dual inlet system like John in Leeds uses and was developing, but it seems unlikely now. John hasn't posted anything in over a year. In one of his last posts he said:

"With regard to the 'twinlet' system, Keithy has started machining the throttle bodies this week and is likely to be casting the manifold shortly. He is fully set up for a prototype and small production run so as soon as we have tested it we'll let you and the other members of the Highland brotherhood know.

Rest assured we expect a simple to fit sytem that even I could do. However, unless you have access to the ecu mapping equipment where I could send you an appropriate map then we'll have to arrange some sort of system where the ecu will be sent off for mapping and then returned. Lots of details to sort out including price because obviously Keith will have to be paid for his expertise and efforts."

Late last year Keithy posted pictures of the manifolds and said "I'll possibly have it cast and machined for spring....then find a victim to test it as John's engine let go"

Then nothing. As I said, it doesn't look good.
nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #997
950v2
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Recent citizen of Stockholm. Earlier Boden, Sweden
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
Hi

Just experienced a sad thing. Starter wont run. Turns out to be an uncharged battery. This is due to a broken regulator (The aluminium thingie next to the horn) Replaced it and all was fine until today. The battery is not charged enough to turn the starter but fuelpump and all other gadgets work just fine. My conclusion is: Alternator broke down again.. :-( . I will replace it but it is likely to break down again if i can not find the source of my trouble. What say you? Battery?, Stator?....

/TF
I also have charging problems. It suddenly stopped charging when driving in rain (noticed that the rev counter stopped working since it uses the pulses from the alternator) and i found a melted connector to the regulator/rectifier under the tank.
I fixed that and the rev counter works again but it does not charge the battery.
How did you find out that your regulator was broken?
What did you pay for a new one?
Does anyone have the values to measure the alternator wireings to find out where my problem is?
950v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #998
950v2
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Recent citizen of Stockholm. Earlier Boden, Sweden
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 950v2 View Post
I also have charging problems. It suddenly stopped charging when driving in rain (noticed that the rev counter stopped working since it uses the pulses from the alternator) and i found a melted connector to the regulator/rectifier under the tank.
I fixed that and the rev counter works again but it does not charge the battery.
How did you find out that your regulator was broken?
What did you pay for a new one?
Does anyone have the values to measure the alternator wireings to find out where my problem is?

I solved my charging problems.
One of the windings in the stator were loose.
950v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #999
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado
 
Lorretto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 311
950 - Glad you solved the charging issue.

With any luck I will be right behind you with a success story. What kind of out put did you get on the failed vs corrected stator?
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #1000
klausmikey
n00b
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: where the streets have no name
Oddometer: 8
Question Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by 950v2 View Post
Yes. Contact the company Rollox. It is the same guys that worked at Highland Sweden.
http://www.rolloxab.se/
Good service as usual.

Do they sell manuals too?
klausmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 AM   #1001
950v2
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Recent citizen of Stockholm. Earlier Boden, Sweden
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausmikey View Post
Do they sell manuals too?
No. But if you ask nicely you might get a copy of the assembly instructions.
950v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 AM   #1002
950v2
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Recent citizen of Stockholm. Earlier Boden, Sweden
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorretto View Post
950 - Glad you solved the charging issue.

With any luck I will be right behind you with a success story. What kind of out put did you get on the failed vs corrected stator?
Broken stator windings/loose connectors:
Infinite ohm through the stator.
Connected a separate rectifier (cheap bridge with 4 diodes and 100V/25A specs) and no regulator.
8V at 3000 rpm and 12V at 7000rpm without any load means no charging capacity. Just the voltage that could "jump over" via the broken windings.
If measured with the battery and regulator/rectifier you will just get the battery voltage which was decreasing when riding around.

Fixed stator:
Almost short circuit (approx 0,3 ohm) through the stator.
When connected to the battery and regulator/rectifier the voltage is up to around 13,5-14V (about +1-1,5V more than the battery itself.

The hard part was to get the hard "glue" away from the connection points. I used a soldering iron to loosen it up and were very cautious not to damage the wiring isolation. I used PL400 to fasten everything again after clamping and soldering the loose ends.
950v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #1003
Lorretto
City Dweller Crushperado
 
Lorretto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Oddometer: 311
Thanks 950

I got a new to me garage that is getting sorted out and will give the multi meter a go at the Highland. All I need now is multi-meter for dummies book.
Lorretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 AM   #1004
Thumber
Sweden
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Sweden
Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 950v2 View Post
Broken stator windings/loose connectors:
Infinite ohm through the stator.
Connected a separate rectifier (cheap bridge with 4 diodes and 100V/25A specs) and no regulator.
8V at 3000 rpm and 12V at 7000rpm without any load means no charging capacity. Just the voltage that could "jump over" via the broken windings.
If measured with the battery and regulator/rectifier you will just get the battery voltage which was decreasing when riding around.

Fixed stator:
Almost short circuit (approx 0,3 ohm) through the stator.
When connected to the battery and regulator/rectifier the voltage is up to around 13,5-14V (about +1-1,5V more than the battery itself.

The hard part was to get the hard "glue" away from the connection points. I used a soldering iron to loosen it up and were very cautious not to damage the wiring isolation. I used PL400 to fasten everything again after clamping and soldering the loose ends.
Hi 950v2

Since you are based in sthlm i assume your swedish is alot better than my english... could you please give me a ring? I live in Vallentuna. noll sju 02- sextioåtta 42 fem2. I need to find a way to take the flyweel off...
Thumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #1005
950v2
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Recent citizen of Stockholm. Earlier Boden, Sweden
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumber View Post
Hi 950v2

Since you are based in sthlm i assume your swedish is alot better than my english... could you please give me a ring? I live in Vallentuna. noll sju 02- sextioåtta 42 fem2. I need to find a way to take the flyweel off...
I will call you this weekend. Until then you can view my homepage and my mechanical work in may http://highland.racing.gs/#20120518
950v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014