Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Only thing I would caution you on, is that a 250cc scooter is not going to be big enough.

Some will disagree; but even if you get a 250 that can hold freeway speeds, it'll be wide open or close to, and with little or no reserve. That's not a fun thing when you're battling traffic.

Were I you, I'd look for a Burgman 400 or similar. I'm partial to the Burgman; I know it tops out at over 80 mph and has tremendous storage space. Handles well, also; it's as much motorcycle as scooter.

And you'll still have your choice. Zuma or Burgman...90 mpg or 60.
actually my 250cc has more 'get out of the way' pep then my mini cooper does. (base model). That said, on the freeways I stay in the slow lane and keep it at around 60 or 65 even though I could go faster.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #32
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I've noticed on a few scooter forums its fashionable right now to play the scooters don't get no respect card. I haven't seen it in my travels.

It could be the ones who don't get any respect are doing stupid stuff in traffic and getting yelled at by car drivers.
Travel more and you'll see it. I bought a silver wing and I get way less respect on the road than when I ride my v strom. That's from personal experience not forum chatter. My wife who rides on the back noticed the same thing.

I meant from cars not other motorcyclists. I seem to get more waves on the scooter.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #33
Domromer
Desert Rat

To most cars drivers riding a motorcycle counts as doing stupid stuff in traffic.

As for a lack of respect I've noticed that. Mostly in terms of more cars cutting me off or pulling out in front of me than when I ride my vstrom. And if you haven't noticed a lack or respect from many motorcyclists than you haven't been out much.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #34
Domromer
Desert Rat

To the op if I were in your shoes I'd buy a used burgman 400 or silver wing. Since you commute I imagine you like to run errands on your bike as well. Both these bikes have plenty of storage. Which is great if your running around town. I use my silver wing for runs, to the grocery store, library, and farmers market, I still have plenty of room. In the winter you can add the large givi windscreen and you will be almost completely out of the cold wind.

Domromer screwed with this post 08-10-2012 at 10:35 AM
Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,321
[QUOTE=Domromer;19328360]To most cars drivers riding a motorcycle counts as doing stupid stuff in traffic.

As for a lack of respect I've noticed that. Mostly in terms of more cars cutting me off or pulling out in front of me than when I ride my vstrom. And if you haven't noticed a lack or respect from many motorcyclists than you haven't been out much.[/QUOTE]

Naw, only been riding for 54 years....Now I'm retired I ride almost every day.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #36
Domromer
Desert Rat

[QUOTE=hexnut;19328575]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
To most cars drivers riding a motorcycle counts as doing stupid stuff in traffic.

As for a lack of respect I've noticed that. Mostly in terms of more cars cutting me off or pulling out in front of me than when I ride my vstrom. And if you haven't noticed a lack or respect from many motorcyclists than you haven't been out much.[/QUOTE]

Naw, only been riding for 54 years....Now I'm retired I ride almost every day.
Its nice you haven't experienced what most other scooter riders have.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #37
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

I havent been riding long but I dont think its a lack of respect on the motorists part I think they flat out simply do not see us.

as a motorists I have done it because I didnt see the motorcycle, and as a motorycle rider I have had had cars cut me off and every single time that happened I noticed I was in their blind spot when it happend
Old 08-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #38
Spud99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
I started on 90cc dirt bikes and rode up to a Goldwing including a blackbird. When I sold the Blackbird (because it was stupid fast) I bought a R1200RT. I sold the RT because it was too slow and got a Big Ruckus. I quite like the whole ease of use and pace. Because I do quite a bit of hilly highway I upgraded to a TMax. It's perfect.
Coincidentally my buddy stores his K1200S at my place and I have unlimited use of it. I've ridden it twice, no love. I preferred the scooter.
Spud99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #39
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
No respect

I have been commuting around the Boston area for 40 plus years. When I ride my Silverwing I drive very defensively. I watch mirrors and look for faces in my direction. I don't feel as though it is a disrespect issue , but a , " I didn't see you" issue. Wether they just don't look, or see past you, or are talking on their cell phones, you have to be seen to be avoided.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #40
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/W View Post
I have been commuting around the Boston area for 40 plus years. When I ride my Silverwing I drive very defensively. I watch mirrors and look for faces in my direction. I don't feel as though it is a disrespect issue , but a , " I didn't see you" issue. Wether they just don't look, or see past you, or are talking on their cell phones, you have to be seen to be avoided.
I agree with this. when cars are about to turn into my direction I pay much more attention to them then I do in a car for two reasons. 1. I know they cant see me as well and 2. a fender bender on a motorcycle hurts more
Old 08-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #41
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
I'm a 15 year scooter commuter all done on a 250. My commute has a maximum posted speed limit of 45mph with traffic flow around 50mph. A 250 is great at 50 but at a sustained 65 I'd look for something bigger. Not that a 250 would not do it, just that it would feel a little frantic day in and day out. Think driving a Geo Metro at 80 everyday.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #42
jalapenopete
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I've noticed on a few scooter forums its fashionable right now to play the scooters don't get no respect card. I haven't seen it in my travels.

It could be the ones who don't get any respect are doing stupid stuff in traffic and getting yelled at by car drivers.
That's quite a leap from me using a colloquial term such as "lack of respect" to you accusing me of doing "stupid stuff"
Come ride your scooter down GA 400 during weekday morning rush hour and see what a great time is to be had before making such a dumb comment.
jalapenopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #43
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Old school scooter

I have put 66,000 miles on my 2007 Bonneville which is as easy to ride as a scooter. I enjoy it all the time touring or commuting but I miss my old school Vespa 200. So i'm looking to get a restored shifter Vespa to relieve some of the commuting duties for my Bonneville.

I've owned a Vespa GTS and it kept breaking down, blowing relays and flashing engine faults in the computer after ten months and ten thousand miles. I came to resent the complexity of modern scooters, the belt drives and the pursuit of horsepower. Squeezing 85mph out of a water-cooled four valve 250 with bulbous bodywork is a feat of engineering, but it comes at the expense of simplicity and ease of use. It's easy to ride a gearless scooter, not so easy to replace a rear tire on a Vespa GTS. Broken exhaust manifold gasket anyone? And all that plumbing and computer wiring,oh my!

I too am of the school that feet forward scooters of the Japanese school don't feel comfortable. However they are also bulky and frequently larger than the motorcycles they replace. I like the Burgman 650’s low maintenance requirements, rare valve checks and maintenance free drive chain however the thing is HUGE!

My idea for an old school Vespa isn't for everyone (anyone!) but on my 55/60 mph commute in fine weather 27 miles one way is for me a return to my youth. So I get the nostalgia fix and I return to the scooter revolution all in one. On the other hand I would go for an IQ/Smart or Fiat 500 for winter commuting in a cold climate and to save money. I can change my own tires on the P200 (and carry a spare wheel as I go) but they still wear our relatively frequently those little tires....

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #44
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalapenopete View Post
That's quite a leap from me using a colloquial term such as "lack of respect" to you accusing me of doing "stupid stuff"
Come ride your scooter down GA 400 during weekday morning rush hour and see what a great time is to be had before making such a dumb comment.

Did I mention YOU specifically. If not and you aren't in the group that does stupid stuff, don't get your panties in such a knot. But If the shoe fits......

I'm speaking of all the young people I see around here on scooters cutting in and out of traffic, changing lanes with out warning. lane splitting and cutting in front of people, which is illegal here, speeding and a host of other things that is aggravating to other motorist. They are their own worst enemies.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969

hexnut screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 07:05 AM
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #45
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I'm a 'high Viz' kinda guy, so on my BMW i have PIAA driving lights, pulsing brake lights, high viz jacket, high viz tape on my luggage and 3M reflective checkerboard tape on my helmet. I don't usually have problems on this bike, and if someone starts to edge over on me a blast from my Stebel horn usually gets their attention quickly.

In fact, I've had people pull off the road when they look in their mirror and see me come up behind them. Suspect I may look a bit like a leo with all the gear (+gps, etc).

On the old Vespa it's my high Viz jacket and helmet only, and the very dim 35w headlight and single taillight. Definitely feel more vulnerable on it, but part of that is that I sit much lower, and being a scooter the first thought people likely have is 'here's another one of those idiots riding a 50cc liquor scooter that won't be able to get out of his own way' so they tend to shift lanes to pass before they even realize I can keep up just fine with them.

They don't hurt my feelings, I just adjust my riding accordingly, and stay alert all the time and try to stay visible....

Note: when I run out on an errand and don't wear high viz gear I notice that i get encroached on way more frequently. Yeah, high Viz on a scooter looks stupid, but I do get noticed..

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote