Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #7546
samppa2005
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
MyNetMoto is a european online store. They sell tires for pretty nice prices. here:
http://www.mynetmoto.com/

I got mine yesterday and i'm hoping to get them on next week.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86883938/TKC80_1.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86883938/TKC80_2.jpg

I had them on backorder since march.

As for the skidplate i have the 990 SM and i switched for the high headers and a 2-1 collector. So i have room underneath the engine to mount the skidplate. I had a similar version with the original headers as well. The picture is not very good as my camera broke and the picture is taken with my cellphone.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/86883938/990sm.jpg

But the basic idea is that i have rubber matting in between the oilpan and the plate then i mounted the skidplate to the same place the original headers attach from underneath the engine and to the crashbars. The plastic and the rubber give and divide the hit to a large area instead of trying to take the whole hit. That way the construction is light and you have to worry only about keeping the skidplate from falling off instead of trying to make a stiff enough construction to take a big hit.In a major hit to a construction like that the oilpan bolts break but the oilpan itself won't break.
samppa2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #7547
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
OK, 180kph (111.85mph)! For a while I thought you were in your garage hatching an evil Canadian land speed attempt to get your supermoto up to super bike speeds! Handgaurds won't be an issue (but they could have been at 180mph!). What sort of surface will you be riding on? Are there bumps or something that sets off the wobble?
Haha thats funny! If my bike didnt wobble, and would go up to 180 mph, id probably try it though!

As for bumps, the highways up here arent great, but the slight wobble really isnt noticeable till I decide to really get on the throttle. I havent even read much more about it yet, cause in all reality I dont NEED to be going faster then 130.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #7548
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Haha thats funny! If my bike didnt wobble, and would go up to 180 mph, id probably try it though!

As for bumps, the highways up here arent great, but the slight wobble really isnt noticeable till I decide to really get on the throttle. I havent even read much more about it yet, cause in all reality I dont NEED to be going faster then 130.
Samppa, thanks for the picture of the skidplate, its pretty similar to what mine is looking like, only mine so far is farther back to protect the exhaust, which im going to shorten down like yours.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #7549
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
Thanks for that picture! I'll get it resized when I get a chance...

I like the 990 in high pipes. I wonder how the feel of the FI motor compares to my 950 on FCR's. I have ridden lots of miles on a 990ADV but I didn't ride the ADV as a slider like I do the SM.

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 09:57 AM
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #7550
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post

Somethings not right if you are getting wobbles at those speeds. Since you were a tire tech, you have no doubt ruled out any out-of-balance issues. Moving along to stuff that would be easy to correct, is there any way that you may have squeezed the lower fork tubes together tightening the front axle? That could cause one or both fork legs to bind which might set the bike into a wobble. There is a step by step tightening procedure in the manual. The other thing that comes to mind is the steering head bearings either being bad or improperly tightened. My bike has been rock solid on pavement up to 200kph (125mph). That was with a 16 tooth cs and I don't ever hit the limiter. I have no idea what these bikes will do with a 17 tooth.

angustoyou - I hope I did not come across as being flippant or a blow-hard trying to sound badass. I have had the good fortune to ride dirt with people who truly were badass and at the top of their sports and I am not in their leauge. I really am not one to take risks and and when I go really fast on dirt, the conditions and the bike have to be spot on. I don't want to crash, but more important to me, I don't want to put my wife through that.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #7551
samppa2005
Adventurer

I really wanted to see if the SE skidplate would fit with the high pipes but i haven't been able to borrow anyones to try it on. It might be too short to clear the oilpan but i think it should. I don't have a lot of tools to work on material so the PEHD version was done with a 20 heat gun and a hinged woodplate. Understandably not really a masterpiece. I did do a full "canoe" version as well but it was just too ugly and was a bit too much for my use. Was not planning on doing riding over logs etc. So now i'm lusting after an original SE skidplate.

I think the feel for the 990 SM as stock is not too much to hope for. Haven't tried the newer models but at least the older ones were not that good. But i really like the feel that mine has now. I have the 2-1 system, the G2 throttle cam and i had it all adjusted with the TuneECU on a dyno. The power comes on smooth and is easy to control on small throttle openings and when i turn the throttle then it GOES. No hesitation. Some people complain about the EFI systems compared to the carbs but it's a matter of setting them up properly. Unfortunately the factory does not set them up properly because of the emissions laws. Funny thing is that even without the emissions systems you can get the bike to pass the regulations. Small changes on the EFI bikes make big differences. I think the carburated version is more forgiving mechanically as well as when riding. In the end there is not much difference. It's a question of preference. There is a saying in Finnnish about some people liking mothers and other people liking daughters. Both are fantastic bikes but if you go to the details it's up to you personally to decide what you like. As far as reading about snowhawks riding style an EFI could be made pretty damn good for that. Instant response and all that but not as stock.

What i'd really love to see on the 990 is the ride-by-wire system. That way you could have one map for offroad and one for road riding. Would really reveal the potential of the bike!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #7552
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
angustoyou - I hope I did not come across as being flippant or a blow-hard trying to sound badass. I have had the good fortune to ride dirt with people who truly were badass and at the top of their sports and I am not in their leauge. I really am not one to take risks and and when I go really fast on dirt, the conditions and the bike have to be spot on. I don't want to crash, but more important to me, I don't want to put my wife through that.
No worries, we all take risks of one kind or another, and we all make a judgement on the risks we're prepared to take, we just need enough information first. I'd just hate myself if someone had asked advice, and I didn't post a word of caution, and they then went out and got hurt, or totaled the bike. I figure that you're a big enough boy to be making your own mind up though.

You make a real good point about our loved ones having to put up with the crap that comes from our dodgy decisions though. My wife's spent more than enough time by the side of a hospital bed worrying about me. And how my mother has any hair left from my younger days on bikes I'll never know....
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #7553
samppa2005
Adventurer

World exclusive pictures!

Got my TKCs mounted. They really do feel funny compared to regular street tires.

The grip and milage are fantastic! No slipping when i pushed her into the garage and the tires hardly wore at all!

Well maybe on the weekend i'll get a chance to go for a test ride...

Notice the contrast bike sneeking into the first picture.

Oh and yes i noticed that this is the 950 section and not the 990 section but nobody seems interested in taking their 990 to the dirt

Old 08-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #7554
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by samppa2005 View Post
World exclusive pictures!

Very cool! How is the clearance between the front tire's knobs and the low mounted splash protector? Do you think there will be enough clearance if the going gets a little muddy?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #7555
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

I love those tires, I cant wait till I can throw on a set of those!

Seems like they are sure taking their time getting those tires here though.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #7556
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Now this Pi$$eS me off..Flame alert

Maybe I get pi$$ed off too easliy.but this Pi$$e$ me off ...I have always liked how my 950 SM is leak free..seems to be a very tightly made engine. Last night after a short ride I walk back out to the garage and see oil dropping under the bike..."

"WTF, my bike ? Can't be."

Okay, no big deal, it's a known issue, order the "Oil sight tube" replace it in 5 minutes. No big deal.

I go to KTM-Parts to order it and the part is $20.00 plus....B$, for a 6 inch piece of plastic pipe...with shipping it is now $27.95...I will still be able to afford cat food to eat over the weekend but that is still B$. Everyone has to make a profit, I want them to, it is my hobby so am willing to pay for the diversion..... but...this is a known problem, a design flaw and for KTM to charge this much markup is just not satisfactory.

Okay, I know I'm boring you to death... but after all , this is MY hair-fire...so I am going to, protest, I'll show 'em. So I go online to Parts Warehouse. the part is only $17 for a 6 inch piece of plastic tube..yeah, I showed 'em..saved $3...take time to fillout the order sheet *again*....go to checkout and shipping is now an additional $17.95 UPS to ship a 4 oz. piece of plastic in an envelope...$34.95 total !!!! ... for a 6 inch, 4 oz plastic tube.

Now, the degeneneration of this plastic sight tube is well known, happens frequently. Replacement with the local variety tube ( 150 degree) can crack, dumping oil on your rear tire, ruin your whole day, possibly add a page to your health record. Definite safety issue.

I guess I am just pi$$ed at having to pay so much for such a small part.... but, small things send big messages sometimes .......
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #7557
samppa2005
Adventurer

Quote:
Very cool! How is the clearance between the front tire's knobs and the low mounted splash protector? Do you think there will be enough clearance if the going gets a little muddy?

No there won't be. But it doesn't really do anything in anycase. Well unless you have a fender extender. I thought i'd get some regular fork protectors and since i have the skidplate to keep the oilpan from getting sandblasted i think it should be ok. The funny thing about the skidplate is that since it's flat from the front it changes the airflow around the front tire so that the water doesn't get thrown up over the high fended anymore. And in comparison to some ADVs you can get rid of the low fender without any changes to your brake lines
Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #7558
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Maybe I get pi$$ed off too easliy.but this Pi$$e$ me off ...I have always liked how my 950 SM is leak free..seems to be a very tightly made engine. Last night after a short ride I walk back out to the garage and see oil dropping under the bike..."

"WTF, my bike ? Can't be."

Okay, no big deal, it's a known issue, order the "Oil sight tube" replace it in 5 minutes. No big deal.

I go to KTM-Parts to order it and the part is $20.00 plus....B$, for a 6 inch piece of plastic pipe...with shipping it is now $27.95...I will still be able to afford cat food to eat over the weekend but that is still B$. Everyone has to make a profit, I want them to, it is my hobby so am willing to pay for the diversion..... but...this is a known problem, a design flaw and for KTM to charge this much markup is just not satisfactory.

Okay, I know I'm boring you to death... but after all , this is MY hair-fire...so I am going to, protest, I'll show 'em. So I go online to Parts Warehouse. the part is only $17 for a 6 inch piece of plastic tube..yeah, I showed 'em..saved $3...take time to fillout the order sheet *again*....go to checkout and shipping is now an additional $17.95 UPS to ship a 4 oz. piece of plastic in an envelope...$34.95 total !!!! ... for a 6 inch, 4 oz plastic tube.

Now, the degeneneration of this plastic sight tube is well known, happens frequently. Replacement with the local variety tube ( 150 degree) can crack, dumping oil on your rear tire, ruin your whole day, possibly add a page to your health record. Definite safety issue.

I guess I am just pi$$ed at having to pay so much for such a small part.... but, small things send big messages sometimes .......
KHVol:

I feel your pain and your frustration. I had mine fail right before a trip two years ago. I replaced it with some tubing I got from the hardware store and after it lasted about 1000 miles I thought all was good, until I was on the trip where it completely failed and when I tried to use another piece of the replacement stuff, it didn't even last 5 miles. I had to plug the holes, find some oil and then get it sorted properly.

I too find the pricing of that tube EXTREMELY offensive.

I did replace it with the upgraded tube back then and it has now lasted, but now I am afriad it will let go again. Which reminds me to order a 4 inch plastic tube costing $22.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #7559
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,160
A $20 part every 20K miles doesn't annoy me too much (just installed my second replacement at 48K miles). My tire bill is something else though...
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #7560
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
A $20 part every 20K miles doesn't annoy me too much (just installed my second replacement at 48K miles). My tire bill is something else though...
Yeah, I know..it isn't the amount of money so much as the amount of markup...