User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Here's my 1993 Ford F150 4x4. LOVED everything about it but the UN-reliability. When I traded for it it was on it';s 3rd motor after only 238K, it's fourth trans (new when i got it) but I always felt I couldn't trust it like my Chevys. I had nothing but Chevy trucks before the F150 and although way better off road than any of my Chevy pickups, it never felt as if I could trust it when going out of town so I got rid of it. The extended cab was perfect for me and had it been a 5 speed diesel I would have it to this day.

Sniper X screwed with this post 08-14-2012 at 12:54 PM
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
I am really digging the ninth gen F series trucks, much more so than any newer trucks.

What is your ultimate 9th gen F series truck?

I've been on a serious hunt for 1992-1997 F150 or F250 LWB crew cab or extended cab in 4x4, and AT. What should one be on the look out? What's a desirable motor? Etc.

Educate me, please!
I stated my ultimate 9th gen above, but then I thought I better actually add some relevant information that might be helpful for your search

Among my many weaknesses, is a fondness for Ford vehicles, trucks in particular. I don't know how or why, but I've got it. That being said, I'll try to summarize some information below:

The F150's were offered with the 300ci straight six and the 302 and 351 V8's. All fuel injected. You could get both the 300 and 302 with a 5-spd manual, the 351 came with an automatic only (afaik). Generally, the 5-spd will be the Ford/Mazda M5OD, but in some very RARE instances, I've heard of people getting the ZF 5-spd, but only behind the 300 and usually in a 2wd regular cab longbox base/work model. The Mazda transmission doesn't have a reputation for being particularly robust (the towing capacity is greatly reduced when equipped), however I've got one in my 97' F150 4.6 with 190k miles and it's still going strong, even towing the occasional 6k lbs trailer. As for automatics, they are generally the E4AOD, an electronically controlled 4-spd OD transmission. I haven't owned an automatic Ford, so I have no personal experience with these. Borg Warner transfer cases, BW1356 if I recall correctly. Been around for ages and plenty stout.

You mention looking for either a crew cab or extended cab variation. As previously mentioned, the F150 was never offered in a crew cab from the factory.

The F250's had the same choice of engines as the F150's (see above), with the addition of the 460 V8 and the 7.3 diesel (in non-turbo, turbo and powerstroke variations). Same automatic transmission and the same ZF 5-spd manual, which is fairly stout and trouble free. Both of the F150's and F250's had the (in) famous ford TTB front axle/suspension design, with coil springs on the F150 and leaves on the F250. I'm not a huge fan of the TTB for everyday use but it might be because my 87' F250 (same chassis as the 92-97) diesel has one and it eats tires constantly. That might be due to the fact that the heavy diesel engine is putting more stress on the suspension components than a comparable gas engine would. The F250's were available in regular cab and extended cab for all years and in 1997, they were available as a crewcab shortbox.

The F350 differs from the F250 in that it uses a conventional leaf-sprung front axle (Dana 60) as opposed to the TTB. Same engines/transmissions. Crew cabs were available for all years of the F350 but only in the longbox variety.

All trucks were available with trim levels ranging from "Custom" (bare bones, am radio), XL and XLT to high end Eddie Bauer (for the F150's). They made a crap ton of these things so chances are you'll find the combination you want if you wait long enough.

Problems/Points? Well, if you live in a rust prone area, the first place to rust on these things are the rear wheel wells (there is a folded seam behind there that collects dirt/water and crap) and the bottom of the cab beneath the rear side windows on the extended cab model. Parking brake cables. But I think that's just a Ford truck thing in general, all of mine require regular replacement but that might be due to the salt/winter conditions that they experience.

What are your anticipated uses for this truck? General around town driving, the occasional trip to the hardware store, etc? Perhaps an F150 would suit you. As mentioned by other posters, the 300 six is a bulletproof motor, and while it may not be fast, it will last forever. Personally, I'd skip the 302 and just get the 351 unless I really had to have a manual transmission and a V8. Not much fuel economy difference between the two. If you plan to do much hauling or towing, get the F250 or F350 with the 460 or 7.3 diesel. Remember, this generation of trucks had lower rated capacities than the current generation (eco-boost et al) so an F150 might not be up to the task.

I hope I didn't put you to sleep with all that blathering...... Good luck on whatever you choose.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #18
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
1356 tcase until late 96 and 97, then its a 4407? I think that's the number. Supposed to be better but nothing wrong with the 1356. I've had 3 trucks with e4od autos so far and I like them. Stock they are a slush box, I've put a minimum of a shift kit in all of them. My diesel I have a lot more than that in the trans but they are based on the C6 and share many parts.

I have a 93 IDI diesel also, it was a non turbo model and was gutless as hell. I added a banks turbo kit and its good now but I much prefer my powerstroke.

I'm lucky we don't have rust problems here.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
I'm a fan of the 5th Gen F-Series. Although out of the "new" trucks, I have to agree, the 9th is better looking then any of the current ones. I don't really care for the aero body style.

Saw this the other day.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
Any excuse to post this. 1996 F150

1996 was the last year for the straight 6 and I think the body style. Mines had no problems, little front end work here and there, the 5 speed works fine. Sort of think a 1996 Bronco would round things out but two gas hogs doesn't make sense

125,000 miles I'm the second owner. Not fancy on the inside, easy to clean.

The best part is all the Bay Area folks that ski at Squaw Valley don't try to cut in front of me

rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #21
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,680
sexy!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #22
Hardware02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post
'Cept that's a '79.
Touché. Typo...it's the 79 grille that I liked and I started seeing them on the road in the fall of '78 (I was 9).
Hardware02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
I remember seeing this truck in another post awhile back and I still think it's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinrob View Post
Any excuse to post this. 1996 F150

1996 was the last year for the straight 6 and I think the body style. Mines had no problems, little front end work here and there, the 5 speed works fine. Sort of think a 1996 Bronco would round things out but two gas hogs doesn't make sense

125,000 miles I'm the second owner. Not fancy on the inside, easy to clean.

The best part is all the Bay Area folks that ski at Squaw Valley don't try to cut in front of me

nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

White is my favourite colour on the ol' boxy trucks. If I can only find one locally that is in good shape, I would be golden. As I get older, and wiser with my money, I'm not going out there looking/travelling for deals -- the deals should come to me at my convenience.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #25
pacman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/3120740592.html

Favorite F-series of all time. Crew cab/short box F250. Just a few miles away if anyone's interested. I'm happy to check it out.
Burleson, Texas

pacman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #26
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

There is a white 96 Powerstroke 4x4 extended cab, 5 speed manual, white, immaculate for $5k locally.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #27
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
73-78 are my favorite trucks of all time.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #28
a1fa OP
Riding Nomad™

...should've never sold the bronco!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #29
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by nskitts View Post
I remember seeing this truck in another post awhile back and I still think it's awesome!
Must have been the steel wheel thread.

I liked the before pics with the stock dog dish wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
White is my favourite colour on the ol' boxy trucks. If I can only find one locally that is in good shape, I would be golden. As I get older, and wiser with my money, I'm not going out there looking/travelling for deals -- the deals should come to me at my convenience.
They are very common out here since they were used as fleet trucks for many companies.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #30
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
Dad had a 78 F100 "Ranger" that was this obnoxious orange with red and beige stripes. I loved that truck growing up, and remember dad letting me drive it home at age 15.5 from the DMV when I got my learner's permit. Had the 302V8, automatic and I remember the transmission was constantly an issue. Had an awesome "carpet kit" in the bed that my sister sat in while we drove from AZ to upper CA every year. Previous owner's last name was Pig (poor guy) and he had "Miss Piggy" pinstriped on the doors just below the windows. So it was always Miss Piggy to us.

Coming home from one of those 1200-mile trips, we were about two-miles from home when another late 70's Ford truck ran a stop sign. Dad barely saw it in time but we still t-boned it at the rear wheel doing about 35mph. I smacked my head into the sliding glass divider between the bed and the cab. The other truck spun a full 360 and stalled. The hood was pushed back into the driver's door so dad couldn't open it, and had to crawl over mom to get out. Funny memories: I'd never heard my dad curse before but the string of sailor's language that came out while he pounded the hood of Miss Piggy makes me smile to this day. I also remember the young Native American girl behind the wheel of the other truck trying to start it, but it wouldn't catch. Turns out she was only 14, no license (obviously) and no insurance.

Got Miss Piggy fixed but the paint never matched after that, and eventually dad got sick of the transmission problems and sold it when I was about 16. Replaced it with a Ford Taurus. Too bad, I would have LOVED to still have that truck.

Here is a bad photo of it in the background, winter in Flagstaff with my sister and I cross country skiing in our front yard:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: