Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #68281
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,999
thought i'd put this directly in the thread

Eibach .50 straight rate fork springs and proper cut spacers - $65
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#suspension
.50 would be ideal for say 200lbs range riders
i'm 175lb and went to .47 as .50 was too stiff.
local sale to Colorado front range DR owners only (i'll meet you in FC or Loveland/34)
PM me please.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 09:24 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #68282
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. Have you tried playing with the needle clip...............I'm not sure what groove you have it on!

I may leave mine for a little bit longer and see how it plays out. Mine can be a little bit hard to start first thing in the morning and its winter over here at the moment (I'm sure its probably like your spring though) but once its going it seems to be fine. Of course, I cannot go any lower in needle height as I'm on clip one. When I'm motivated, I may change the pilot jet..............

Let us know how it plays out for you!
The needle is on the second clip from the top. I've tried it in the 3rd position ( middle) and didn't notice any difference so put it back in #2. Are you running the 150 main with the clip at the top position?
It can probably be tinkered with for a long time to try and improve things. Using full choke and a full twist of the throttle and I don't think it turns over twice before starting cold.

It pulls very hard right off idle in first and second. When you roll it on hard in 3rd there is just the smallest lag? before it pulls hard.Not a big deal as it's first and second where you want instant response in the bush.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #68283
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Oh god..

First 20 miles (translates to two hours, running errands, traffic, etc.) on the DR and my is killing me!

I'd read about a company that makes a seat kit for something like $150, they ship it to you and you install yourself?
I've also been told the ATV seat pad from WalMart makes a big difference. For $20, I think I'll try that at least.

Other suggestions?

Love it otherwise, though..
..a
Eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #68284
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eflyguy View Post
Oh god..

First 20 miles (translates to two hours, running errands, traffic, etc.) on the DR and my is killing me!

I'd read about a company that makes a seat kit for something like $150, they ship it to you and you install yourself?
I've also been told the ATV seat pad from WalMart makes a big difference. For $20, I think I'll try that at least.

Other suggestions?

..a

165 for a very good seat for procycle you staple it on yourself. Saddlemen gel. Slightly less expensive ones run about 135.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #68285
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=7268100

^Great reviews on here from people that have it. It's on my list. I have the ATV seat pad but I don't think it helps very much and adds unwanted extra height. Seat Concepts will also install their kit on your seat pan if you ship it to them for an extra fee.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #68286
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=7268100

^Great reviews on here from people that have it. It's on my list. I have the ATV seat pad but I don't think it helps very much and adds unwanted extra height. Seat Concepts will also install their kit on your seat pan if you ship it to them for an extra fee.
Thanks. I found a link to a discount on that on DRRiders forum. I'll give it a shot. I've got corbin and sargent on my FZ1s but I'm not keep on spending that much on the DR.. yet! :)

.. so, I'm not alone in this department, eh? :)
..a
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #68287
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
Anyone use this on the factory rear rack?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

It is the universal monokey rack plate and adapter.
I don't use that particular model of plate. I believe the model I use is called the Givi M1 plate. It holds an E45 case to my Suzuki rack. I need to weld an extension and a mounting crossbar to the Suzuki rack eventually. Right now, the Givi plate is held on with MANY stainless-steel zip-ties. With a rear extension and a flat crossbar welded onto the rack, I could bolt the plate on...far back enough to easily fit a passenger. If I never carried a passenger, used a tankbag, or if we had smaller butts, I could have easily bolted the plate to the rack with just some U-bolts. Our butts are big.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #68288
Jenn
praise seitan!

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by freestate View Post
Thanks, that's 24 inches wide I assume?
Any North Face owners around who can tell if small or medium is the way to go when it comes to duffels?
This is the "regular" from this page:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...Bag/735042.uts
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #68289
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Oh god..

Other suggestions?

..a
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
165 for a very good seat for procycle you staple it on yourself. Saddlemen gel. Slightly less expensive ones run about 135.
Quote:
Thanks. I found a link to a discount on that on DRRiders forum. I'll give it a shot. I've got corbin and sargent on my FZ1s but I'm not keep on spending that much on the DR.. yet! :)

.. so, I'm not alone in this department, eh? :)
..a
When I started riding my DR and someone mentioned a replacement seat being over $300, I Yer kidding rite? Well a month later I'd have gladly paid $600 for the damn thing. Suzuki's gel seat isn't liked by many, me included. Comfort is questionable and if you park it in the sun, it will cook yer nads for miles. It is shorter though.

Do your homework, there are guys saying some of the replacement seats use a very firm foam.

Even though I've had my Corbin for almost 10 years and 40k miles (two DRs), it still doesn't fit my butt very well. I'm retired and as my muscle mass (butt padding) ages, there's less natural padding. It's taller than stock; you already know their rep for being heavy and I think it's gaining weight every season.
Thanks for filling in your location.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #68290
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Do your homework, there are guys saying some of the replacement seats use a very firm foam.
Thx. That's the thing, though - I have a Corbin on my 01 FZ1, tried two others and did not work as well. I have had just about every seat made for my '07 FZ1. I have the Sargent on now, but I think I prefer the firmer Corbin. Just waiting for an opportunity to ride two days back-to-back (and switch between them) to make sure before I sell the Sargent.

As to the DR, reading on DR Riders there seems to be a mix of opinions. Not many have gone with Corbin, though..
..a
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #68291
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
There are two types of riding. There is the normal commuting type of riding and then there is the trail and dual sport riding. For commuting, go with a Sargent or renazco type seat. For dual sporting and trail riding, any pro cycle seat is fine.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #68292
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Thx. That's the thing, though - I have a Corbin on my 01 FZ1, tried two others and did not work as well. I have had just about every seat made for my '07 FZ1. I have the Sargent on now, but I think I prefer the firmer Corbin. Just waiting for an opportunity to ride two days back-to-back (and switch between them) to make sure before I sell the Sargent.

As to the DR, reading on DR Riders there seems to be a mix of opinions. Not many have gone with Corbin, though..
..a
i love the corbin on my motarded dr650. but, i bought it used; i would have gone w/the seat concepts seat if i didn't find a decent deal on a used corbin. my skinny ass (6'-0", 155 lbs) was killing me after 20 minutes on the stock seat. anything has to be an improvement over the stock seat.

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #68293
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:

..a
find a local upholsterer who does motorcycle seats and get one custom fit to your ass for about the same price as the "one size fits all" aftermarket seats.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #68294
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 515
Looks like a pretty good deal on a DRZ light on Ebay right now...

I've waited for one of these to show up here or on Ebay for months, and just finally bought a new one last week!

Here you go...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-20...ht_1662wt_1018

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #68295
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
SC Seat opinion http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=38865

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote