Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #68266
Tyrepower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Chris, don't know if someone else answered you or not. The part number 13 is a "gasket" You can use high temp sealant if funds won't stretch to the about $15 (Aus) to buy the thing from Suzuki.
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
I need the connector for the stock exhaust that goes between the head pipe and the muffler. It is #13 in the picture. If you have one laying around, I would gladly take it off your hands. PM me with what you got!

My biggest fear is when I die, my wife will sell all my bikes for what I "told her" they cost!!!

It's all good fun until someone gets hurt......... then it's hilarious!!!
Tyrepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 AM   #68267
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thx for the responses & feedback. Registered here a while back to read RR's from friends and others. Some day. For now, I want to start to explore those roads in my area I've seen on maps but never ventured down on my street bikes. Got the family into dirt bikes last year so we ride together on trails/woods.

Tons of research to do now but hope to get out on it this weekend.
..a
Eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #68268
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eflyguy View Post
Thx for the responses & feedback. Registered here a while back to read RR's from friends and others. Some day. For now, I want to start to explore those roads in my area I've seen on maps but never ventured down on my street bikes. Got the family into dirt bikes last year so we ride together on trails/woods.

Tons of research to do now but hope to get out on it this weekend.
..a
Welcome! I saw your thread about it over on FZ1OA too.

It's good that you started reading this thread a while back. I think I spent a good six months reading this thread back in mid-2010, and finally got my DR that September. I finally caught up sometime in October or November. And it had 1000 fewer pages back then.

Re chain.. the stock chain is a 525. A lot of people switch to a 520 because it's cheaper and easier to find when you're out in BFE, in the event you need a chain, sprockets, etc. Something to consider. Let us know if the soaking works though... I haven't tossed my last chain yet, so it might be worth soaking and saving as a spare. Turns out my rear sprocket that I replaced was only barely worn compared to the new one, so I'll save it too.

The other thing you were thinking of that needed done is the NSU screw. It's on the other side from the crank bolt. Pick up a new gasket first because the stock gasket may not be reusable. A good source for DR650 parts is www.procycle.us. I was just down there yesterday getting my new sprockets and stuff.

Rob
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #68269
Jammin
Living on a DR

Oddometer: 1,556
Video: Jammin thru Kenya | Lake Turkana Route
August 15, 2012

As I get ready to leave Kenya, I remember back to the epic journey that I had when I entered the country from Ethiopia, riding the rugged route along Lake Turkana. Here's the video from that journey. It's a bit long at 17 mins, but I think it captures what it feels like to ride a Suzuki DR650 over hundreds of miles of sand, rocks and corrugations through vast, changing landscapes.

The video features music from my good friend, David Abraham's band, The Koniac Net and his debut album One Last Monsoon. Music by The Killers and The Temper Trap also mixed in.

There are exciting moments of fast riding,
where sanDRina and I are dancing on the gravel,
feeling the rhythm of the terrain.
And there are moments of slow riding,
where we struggle in deep sand and over huge rocks,
where the terrain challenges our momentum.
Those moments remind me that we are at the mercy of nature,
playing in her deserts and forests,
tapping into the energy of life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWR-sVjfN7E

(if the youtube copyright police block the video in your country, like in Germany, click here to see it on vimeo.)

Trip Website: JamminGlobal.com
Current Ride Report: Global South | Past Trips: CDR '09, Alaska '08, Mexico '07 | YouTube Videos
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #68270
cabinfever
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrepower View Post
Chris, don't know if someone else answered you or not. The part number 13 is a "gasket" You can use high temp sealant if funds won't stretch to the about $15 (Aus) to buy the thing from Suzuki.
Cheers.
Thanks for the reply. I had the gasket when I took off the exhaust, now I can't find it. I've seen prices in the $15-$17 range, with shipping at 1/3 of the gasket price! I thought I could save a few bucks and take one off someones hands who didn't need it anymore. Funds aren't that tight, just the principle of paying over $20 for a part that 75 cents of high temp RTV will do!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #68271
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
After looking, only one who posted before #58 that stops in any longer is fatchance. I had no idea I got in that early. See I learned 2 things here today.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #68272
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Hey, is there an official site to download an owners manual?
..a
Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #68273
letskeepriding
Letskeepriding

Oddometer: 33
Dirtracks.com

anyone used a Dirtracks.com rack & side crash bars ?

If you're not slidin'm both, you're not pushing hard enough. Ducati MTS1200, DR650, SXV550
letskeepriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #68274
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 18,844
thought i'd put this directly in the thread

Eibach .50 straight rate fork springs and proper cut spacers - $65
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html#suspension
.50 would be ideal for say 200lbs range riders
i'm 175lb and went to .47 as .50 was too stiff.
local sale to Colorado front range DR owners only (i'll meet you in FC or Loveland/34)
PM me please.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 08:24 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #68275
canuckAME
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
Hmm, that's interesting. Have you tried playing with the needle clip...............I'm not sure what groove you have it on!

I may leave mine for a little bit longer and see how it plays out. Mine can be a little bit hard to start first thing in the morning and its winter over here at the moment (I'm sure its probably like your spring though) but once its going it seems to be fine. Of course, I cannot go any lower in needle height as I'm on clip one. When I'm motivated, I may change the pilot jet..............

Let us know how it plays out for you!
The needle is on the second clip from the top. I've tried it in the 3rd position ( middle) and didn't notice any difference so put it back in #2. Are you running the 150 main with the clip at the top position?
It can probably be tinkered with for a long time to try and improve things. Using full choke and a full twist of the throttle and I don't think it turns over twice before starting cold.

It pulls very hard right off idle in first and second. When you roll it on hard in 3rd there is just the smallest lag? before it pulls hard.Not a big deal as it's first and second where you want instant response in the bush.
canuckAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #68276
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Oh god..

First 20 miles (translates to two hours, running errands, traffic, etc.) on the DR and my is killing me!

I'd read about a company that makes a seat kit for something like $150, they ship it to you and you install yourself?
I've also been told the ATV seat pad from WalMart makes a big difference. For $20, I think I'll try that at least.

Other suggestions?

Love it otherwise, though..
..a
Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #68277
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eflyguy View Post
Oh god..

First 20 miles (translates to two hours, running errands, traffic, etc.) on the DR and my is killing me!

I'd read about a company that makes a seat kit for something like $150, they ship it to you and you install yourself?
I've also been told the ATV seat pad from WalMart makes a big difference. For $20, I think I'll try that at least.

Other suggestions?

Love it otherwise, though..
..a

165 for a very good seat for procycle you staple it on yourself. Saddlemen gel. Slightly less expensive ones run about 135.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #68278
LucasLeader
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=7268100

^Great reviews on here from people that have it. It's on my list. I have the ATV seat pad but I don't think it helps very much and adds unwanted extra height. Seat Concepts will also install their kit on your seat pan if you ship it to them for an extra fee.
LucasLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #68279
Eflyguy
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
http://seatconcepts.com/products#ecw...roduct=7268100

^Great reviews on here from people that have it. It's on my list. I have the ATV seat pad but I don't think it helps very much and adds unwanted extra height. Seat Concepts will also install their kit on your seat pan if you ship it to them for an extra fee.
Thanks. I found a link to a discount on that on DRRiders forum. I'll give it a shot. I've got corbin and sargent on my FZ1s but I'm not keep on spending that much on the DR.. yet! :)

.. so, I'm not alone in this department, eh? :)
..a
Old 08-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #68280
Kommando
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
Anyone use this on the factory rear rack?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

It is the universal monokey rack plate and adapter.
I don't use that particular model of plate. I believe the model I use is called the Givi M1 plate. It holds an E45 case to my Suzuki rack. I need to weld an extension and a mounting crossbar to the Suzuki rack eventually. Right now, the Givi plate is held on with MANY stainless-steel zip-ties. With a rear extension and a flat crossbar welded onto the rack, I could bolt the plate on...far back enough to easily fit a passenger. If I never carried a passenger, used a tankbag, or if we had smaller butts, I could have easily bolted the plate to the rack with just some U-bolts. Our butts are big.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote