Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
jgrady1982 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Bridgeport Mobile Base

My dad is giving me a Wells-Index 745 vertical mill for my garage. My wife, two dogs and I live in a small condominium in Cleveland Heights with an attached 1 car + garage. Hopefully this will not be our last house, so one day I am going to have to move this mill.

So I decided to build a mobile base. I started by just google'ing, "bridgeport mobile base and bridgeport dolly." I was able to find a great picture of what exactly I wanted. Here is the link, it is post #13 about half way down the screen: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...geport-234964/.

I sent the guy who built the base a PM, but he did not get back to me until after I had constructed the base. In his build he used 1/2" 3 inch angle iron, and then 1/2" plate for the 1000lb casters.

My base is 3.5x3x1/4" inch angle iron and then 1/4 plate for the caster holders. My casters are 750lb each from use-enco.com. I also had my welder weld on 0.750 nuts to be utilized for the leveling screws.

My dad has a J-head bridgeport in his garage and as a thank you for giving me this Wells-Index 745 I made him a base as well. Surprisingly, the base dimensions for his Bridgeport and my Index are both 24"x36". I made the two bases one inch bigger in each direction, so 25x37".

I drilled 1/2" holes for the casters and I am using 3/8" 1.5" bolts to mount them to the base. If all goes as planned we are bringing my new (to me) mill home on Saturday.

Here are the pics:

Here is where it is going...don't laugh I still have to do some "re-arrainging" in order to get it to fit...hopefully it does!

The South Bend Heavy 10 that the mill will be complimenting.
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote