Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #106
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 789
Cool photos,Awesome adventure ride...!!!
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 AM   #107
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 369
I'm loving it. Your photos and story telling are top notch, and the scenery is amazing. Some day I'd like to make it that far north and east. It's just that there is the middle half of this continent in the way and it looks awful flat and boring to traverse.

I have read a few of these long term RR's now and the questions that I know I need to answer for myself are:
  • How do I justify chucking it all?
  • What is my financial situation?
  • What is my budget and how long can I expect it to last?
  • Do I have a few million $ in the bank so I can live off of the interest?
  • Do I really want to abandon my career?
  • Is my life all that bad and is the grass really that much greener on the other side of the world?
  • What about medical insurance?
  • What happens when funds run low and the expensive German bike need some serious repairs?
Perhaps the key is to not ask "what if" but to just deal with "what ever" whenever "oh shit" happens, eh?

Could you give us some insight into how you dealt with (or plan to deal with) any of the above issues?
gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #108
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post

Perhaps the key is to not ask "what if" but to just deal with "what ever" whenever "oh shit" happens, eh?

Could you give us some insight into how you dealt with (or plan to deal with) any of the above issues?

+1.

I'm interested how you are handling every day issues - bills (I assume cell & credit card), physical mail, heath insurance etc.

Thanks.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #109
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post
+1.

I'm interested how you are handling every day issues - bills (I assume cell & credit card), physical mail, heath insurance etc.

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #110
SWbySWXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
I have read a few of these long term RR's now and the questions that I know I need to answer for myself are:
I think that's the most important question, especially in today's world. Many people hold on to a job they hate (not implying the OP hated his job - I don't know them). Also, do you have a marketable skill so that when you get back in a year, can you get a job? I have grad school debt so a trip like this is out for me until it's paid off, but rest assured that a trip like this changes your life. My cousin left a great job at 31. Had 401k, management position yada yada. Went to South America for "1 year". That turned into 8. You never know, you may fall in love with it and just do seasonal jobs to get you through the next leg of the trip.

Sure - what happens when you're older and need to retire. I don't know. But then again, I don't think the OP plans to do it the rest of their lives...but they might
SWbySWXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #111
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Not sure you can maintain a conventional career and also take time off for a big ride. Reading the RRs here I see people falling into a few categories: one, folks who have skills in wide demand all the time: for ex. ER doctor, professional chef, nurse; two, people who are so committed to motorcycling that as a result of their trip they end up in a new job or career that is related to motorcycling, like Tiffany Coates being hired as a guide for a company that takes tourists on adventure rides, or rtwdoug, who was already a chopper builder, working with his g/f in Bulgaria to open a moto-hostel and start a business catering to touring motocyclists; three, there are the folks who just go and go now, and worry about "afterwards", well, afterwards. Their whole point seems to be that they don't know what the future holds, but then they don't know what the future holds if they DON'T ride off now. Is long-term security really achievable, or is that an illusion? How much control over the future do we really have?

Yeah, you have to have some money stashed before you go. I think that's why you see people selling their houses, cars, and all their stuff so often. Also why some report really cutting their expenses to the bone while saving up, so they could leave sooner rather than later. And maybe why lightcycle recounts here how they eat spaghetti out of the can and camp so that they can afford to make the trip. Sure, you could also choose to put the trip off until you are financially independent. There's no right or wrong answer, no "one way" to do it; it's whatever works for you. If you want it badly enough, you'll find a way. Jes' my 2 simolians....
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #112
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
lightcycle recounts here how they eat spaghetti out of the can and camp so that they can afford to make the trip.
My business is in a big multi-shop building, and my neighbor at the shop is also a bike rider...but he comes at it froma completely different angle then I do...that's for sure!!

He said he can live as cheap as $200.00 A DAY when he's traveling on his bike! and he doesn't always motel it either!!

$200 a DAY???

My Gawd....I could live like a fat king for that much!! (Am I the only one who eats Ramon noodles??? )

Quote:
Is long-term security really achievable, or is that an illusion? How much control over the future do we really have?
WOW....now this is the 'real' question!!

(can I QUOTE this???)

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #113
Scooterchick
And then what?

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
My business is in a big multi-shop building, and my neighbor at the shop is also a bike rider...but he comes at it froma completely different angle then I do...that's for sure!!
He said he can live as cheap as $200.00 A DAY when he's traveling on his bike! and he doesn't always motel it either!! $200 a DAY???

My Gawd....I could live like a fat king for that much!! (Am I the only one who eats Ramon noodles??? )
WOW....now this is the 'real' question!! (can I QUOTE this???)
LOL.....uh... no! We eat them too! hahaha
"Ride It Like You Stole It!"
Scooterchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #114
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,449
Rock on. I was living a year in Sayulita & Guanajuato Mexico (2 places you must stop in for a week or so and take in) and meet a ton of through & rtw riders who are doing the same thing. Life is very different once you head south from the US and many will never return.
Best of luck! If you're ever near Fort Collins, CO look me up.
Bill
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #115
eakins
Butler Maps

Online jobs support many moto-travelers.

Quote:
Not sure you can maintain a conventional career and also take time off for a big ride. Reading the RRs here I see people falling into a few categories: one, folks who have skills in wide demand all the time: for ex. ER doctor, professional chef, nurse; two, people who are so committed to motorcycling that as a result of their trip they end up in a new job or career that is related to motorcycling, like Tiffany Coates being hired as a guide for a company that takes tourists on adventure rides, or rtwdoug, who was already a chopper builder, working with his g/f in Bulgaria to open a moto-hostel and start a business catering to touring motocyclists; three, there are the folks who just go and go now, and worry about "afterwards", well, afterwards. Their whole point seems to be that they don't know what the future holds, but then they don't know what the future holds if they DON'T ride off now. Is long-term security really achievable, or is that an illusion? How much control over the future do we really have?

Yeah, you have to have some money stashed before you go. I think that's why you see people selling their houses, cars, and all their stuff so often. Also why some report really cutting their expenses to the bone while saving up, so they could leave sooner rather than later. And maybe why lightcycle recounts here how they eat spaghetti out of the can and camp so that they can afford to make the trip. Sure, you could also choose to put the trip off until you are financially independent. There's no right or wrong answer, no "one way" to do it; it's whatever works for you. If you want it badly enough, you'll find a way. Jes' my 2 simolians....
Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #116
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
+1.

Thanks.
i think they have no bills left except what needs to be paid that day.
that's the idea. once you are south of the US you can pay for health related things if need be on the spot and it's cheap. the key is go leave the US and Canada and live cheaply. sure it will not last for ever, maybe it will, but who knows they might find the love Chile, stay and find jobs there. people forget they can always do something again for $ and become fearful of trying in the 1st place.

Jay's http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556240 been on the road for along time
so have others http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161983
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480532
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161983
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735281
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801516
...and it goes on and on.

eakins screwed with this post 08-15-2012 at 10:01 PM
Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #117
eakins
Butler Maps

sounds like this kinda lifestyle is something you will not be doing anytime some...ever.

my advice to these 2:
watch your expenses very closely. at the start it's fun and you blow $. down the line you've got to keep it tight. make your own meals and learn to fix your bikes, which will break somewhere along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWbySWXJ View Post
I think that's the most important question, especially in today's world. Many people hold on to a job they hate (not implying the OP hated his job - I don't know them). Also, do you have a marketable skill so that when you get back in a year, can you get a job? I have grad school debt so a trip like this is out for me until it's paid off, but rest assured that a trip like this changes your life. My cousin left a great job at 31. Had 401k, management position yada yada. Went to South America for "1 year". That turned into 8. You never know, you may fall in love with it and just do seasonal jobs to get you through the next leg of the trip.

Sure - what happens when you're older and need to retire. I don't know. But then again, I don't think the OP plans to do it the rest of their lives...but they might
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #118
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 525
Hi gregdee. Everyone's situation is different, and you seem to have most of the answers to your questions in your message already, so I highlighted them for you:

Quote:
the questions that I know I need to answer for myself are:
  • How do I justify chucking it all?
  • What is my financial situation?
  • What is my budget and how long can I expect it to last?
  • Do I have a few million $ in the bank so I can live off of the interest?
  • Is my life all that bad and is the grass really that much greener on the other side of the world?
  • What about medical insurance?
  • What happens when funds run low and the expensive German bike need some serious repairs?

For medical insurance, in Ontario, we have basic medical coverage called OHIP for only up to 2 years (actually 2 years and 5 months) after leaving the province. But that only covers care given in an Ontario hospital, so we supplemented it with an emergency medical evacuation from MedjetAssist to get us back to Canada. For local medical care, we supplemented OHIP with Blue Cross Travel Insurance (which in Ontario is underwritten by Manulife).
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #119
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Subscribed....and envious! Enjoy
pilot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #120
lightcycle OP
Nomad

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Everything's pretty much online these days, and for the very little snail mail we get, it gets routed to my parent's address and my dad opens up anything that looks important and lets me know how many credit card offers I get a week.