Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
00ridgerunner00 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
sending imported tracks to my device

im using a nuvi 500 - and can create maps on mapsource and use them on my device.

i can import tracks / routes - save and view them - but can't send the imported routes to my device - it says it sends the information but when it never shows up on the device.

do i have to convert the imported track?

any help would be great.
00ridgerunner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
The NUVI 500 will recoard a track which can be downloaded and saved in MapSource however I don't think it support tracks being downloaded from MS to the unit.

You can see the file on the drive of the NUVI in the Garmin folder/GPX folder and is labeled "Current". I have manually copied the file and opened it in MS but am to chicken to try going the other way. New unit and don't want to start trashing the file system just yet.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
To get the routes you have to go to "my data"> "Import route from file" after you send them. They will then show up under "custom routes".

No way to load tracks, only routes.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
i have a 500...
you are trying to open a .gpx file in mapsource. that is a track ie someone elses ride not a route ie where you plan on going. 500 only opens routes (.gdb files) the gpx file will show in mapsource, you can tranfer it to the 500, but it will never show on the unit.

install this:
http://www.sackman.info/
-input .gpx and out a .gdb file (or send to mapsource direct)
use option 21-23
-open in mapsource & transfer
-follow what tbirdsp posted
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 08-28-2010 at 03:03 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

.gpx files can contain waypoints, tracks and routes. The Nuvi 500 won't recognize the tracks though. No need for any conversion to load waypoints (favorites) and routes to a Nuvi 500.
You can load things several ways:
Open the .gdb or .gpx file in Mapsource and do a "send to device". You can send it to the Nuvi's main drive, but I would send it to the microSD card (assuming you have installed one).

You can also use Windows to transfer a .gpx file directly to the Garmin> GPX folder either on Nuvi drive or the card.

What I usually do is create my route file in Mapsource as a .gdb, but to send it I hit "save as" then choose .gpx as the file type and save it to the card in the Nuvi (again in the GPX folder).

As noted above, after you send your file the waypoints will show up in "favorites" right away, but to get the routes you have to go to tools>my data> import route from file. They will then show up under "custom routes". You can have a max of 10 routes imported at any one time, but you can always have many more saved and import them as needed. Just have to delete some out of the 10 slots. You can always import them again later.

I do like WinGDB3 though, mainly for converting tracks to routes. It's also a little better than Mapsource for filtering tracks to fewer points (you get exactly how many points you ask for - Mapsource will often give you less).

tbirdsp screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 01:35 PM
Old 08-29-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
i think the OP i asking about .gpx files he's downloading from here and other sites. .gpx is an open exchange but those are most always someone's tracks of a ride. i've tried several i have downloaded already for my 60csx. zero came showed up on the 500. i had to convert them.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
tbirdsp
REMF

Yeah, your original wording made it seem like a .gpx could *only* be tracks though, which is not true. In fact, *anything* you send to a Nuvi is converted to .gpx internally if it's not already in that format.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
tbirdsp
REMF

One note about what I posted above: I think I had to go in and create a sub-folder named "GPX" under the "Garmin" folder on my microSD card in order to load a .gpx file directly to the card and have it be recognized.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
.gpx files can contain waypoints, tracks and routes. The Nuvi 500 won't recognize the tracks though. No need for any conversion to load waypoints (favorites) and routes to a Nuvi 500.
You can load things several ways:
Open the .gdb or .gpx file in Mapsource and do a "send to device". You can send it to the Nuvi's main drive, but I would send it to the microSD card (assuming you have installed one).

You can also use Windows to transfer a .gpx file directly to the Garmin> GPX folder either on Nuvi drive or the card.

What I usually do is create my route file in Mapsource as a .gdb, but to send it I hit "save as" then choose .gpx as the file type and save it to the card in the Nuvi (again in the GPX folder).

As noted above, after you send your file the waypoints will show up in "favorites" right away, but to get the routes you have to go to tools>my data> import route from file. They will then show up under "custom routes". You can have a max of 10 routes imported at any one time, but you can always have many more saved and import them as needed. Just have to delete some out of the 10 slots. You can always import them again later.

I do like WinGDB3 though, mainly for converting tracks to routes. It's also a little better than Mapsource for filtering tracks to fewer points (you get exactly how many points you ask for - Mapsource will often give you less).
I have tried all of these methods to try and get my Nuvi to read a GPX file. Whatever I do, however I get the file onto the device (manually or via Map Source), the device will not allow me to import a GPX file and then import in the manner you outline above. The only files it will allow me to import are actual GDB routes I have exported from Map Source on my PC.

Edit: I take that back. I mistakenly thought that the much bigger GPX Track files would be better than the GPX Route files. Turns out, as far as the Nuvi was concerned, that's not the case. I downloaded a GPX route file version of the file I want to use, placed it in the correct folder on the Nuvi and bingo I was able to see it with the import option and import the route. Today has been a journey of discovery and....oh just a little frustration
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 08-30-2010 at 02:58 PM
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
I have tried all of these methods to try and get my Nuvi to read a GPX file. Whatever I do, however I get the file onto the device (manually or via Map Source), the device will not allow me to import a GPX file and then import in the manner you outline above. The only files it will allow me to import are actual GDB routes I have exported from Map Source on my PC.
Do your .gpx files contain TRACKS or ROUTES?
Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Do your .gpx files contain TRACKS or ROUTES?
I edited my post. I was using a Track file assuming (and clearly, we all know how that goes) that since it contained more data, it would be better than a route file. That isn't the case as I have found out.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
tbirdsp
REMF

Tracks and routes are different, even if thay are contained in the same .gpx file

Nuvi don't do tracks (except the "trip log).
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Tracks and routes are different, even if thay are contained in the same .gpx file

Nuvi don't do tracks.
I see that now. My frustration was the manual was pretty much useless.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #14
dcarlisle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
nuvi500

I read all these posts, can I load gpx files from this forum (TET) to a nuvi 500? I had a 500 or 550 and lost it and am thinking of ordering a refurbished unit, should I get the 500 or 550? I want water proof and able to read in sunlight, plus load routes from mapsource or google maps HELP
dcarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote