Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #46
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
I'm a 'high Viz' kinda guy, so on my BMW i have PIAA driving lights, pulsing brake lights, high viz jacket, high viz tape on my luggage and 3M reflective checkerboard tape on my helmet. I don't usually have problems on this bike, and if someone starts to edge over on me a blast from my Stebel horn usually gets their attention quickly.

In fact, I've had people pull off the road when they look in their mirror and see me come up behind them. Suspect I may look a bit like a leo with all the gear (+gps, etc).

On the old Vespa it's my high Viz jacket and helmet only, and the very dim 35w headlight and single taillight. Definitely feel more vulnerable on it, but part of that is that I sit much lower, and being a scooter the first thought people likely have is 'here's another one of those idiots riding a 50cc liquor scooter that won't be able to get out of his own way' so they tend to shift lanes to pass before they even realize I can keep up just fine with them.

They don't hurt my feelings, I just adjust my riding accordingly, and stay alert all the time and try to stay visible....

Note: when I run out on an errand and don't wear high viz gear I notice that i get encroached on way more frequently. Yeah, high Viz on a scooter looks stupid, but I do get noticed..
That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion, wearing proper gear shows that the rider takes his riding seriously, whether on a motorcycle or a scooter. High vis shows that the rider is safety conscious. I have always tried to wear bright helmets and jackets and recently got a hi vis helmet and jacket. Personally I think the guy wearing shorts, T-shirt, and flips flops looks stupid but to each his own.

BTW, between wearing bright gear and riding offensively, I seldom get encroached on or cut off. On the rare occasion I do, it's usually easy to see it coming. I have not noticed any difference in how I am treated between my motorcycles and scooters. Maybe that's because I wear similar gear on all of them.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:47 AM   #47
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I started riding motorcycles in 1972, bought my first scooter in 2008 and my second one last year. I have noticed zero difference in the way cages react to me on my Tmax v. any motorcycle I have ever owned or ridden.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #48
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
I started riding motorcycles in 1972, bought my first scooter in 2008 and my second one last year. I have noticed zero difference in the way cages react to me on my Tmax v. any motorcycle I have ever owned or ridden.
500cc, 500 lbs, and from most angles looks like a full size bike...yes I would expect that there is little difference between drivers perception of a full size bike and your scooter.

I believe if you rode my little 30 year old Vespa on your same Atlanta roads your experience might be different. I know mine has been. I'm not new to this either- I've been riding since 1972.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #49
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,711
I agree with the no respect statements. On the Shadow there was no problem but on the Zuma 125 people think that I am on a 50cc and am going to hold up a whole line of cars so they try their best to get ahead of me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #50
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,925
I wear high viz all the time but I still pretend that they don't see me whether I am on my motorcycle, scooter (when I had one), or my bicycle.

BTW, I've been riding since 1954 but I don't care how long you have been riding. High viz might help but don't depend on it, you had better ride defensible.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #51
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
I wear high viz all the time but I still pretend that they don't see me whether I am on my motorcycle, scooter (when I had one), or my bicycle.

BTW, I've been riding since 1954 but I don't care how long you have been riding. High viz might help but don't depend on it, you had better ride defensible.

I hear ya. I don't 'depend' on hi viz at all, it's just one of many things I try to do to improve my visibility and safety factor. Boots, full face helmets, extra lighting are all good, but a texting driver can only be avoided by being proactive and alert.

As an aside, I drove my truck to work today and took a different route (over a covered bridge that I won't travel on my bikes). I heard on the radio there was a wreck at the intersection near my house that I most dread on my ride to work because it's a "keep moving" merge onto a 45 mph road that traffic typically runs over 60 on. I had a moment where I thought 'that could have been me' if I'd taken the scooter today. Gave me shivers...

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #52
HisMajesty400
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
No Respect on a scooter

Hey,

I wanted to add something about no respect on scooters... I believe that it true. I also do not think it is always the scooter rider's fault. I have a Geo Metro, and people behave disrespectful toward small cars. Granted, we drive the speed limit, but we drive in the slow lane, and drive courteously. People behave badly in bigger vehicles!
HisMajesty400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #53
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Its the natural pecking order in most peoples minds. Small vehicles deffer to bigger. I can pull out in front of you in my full size van because you are on a scooter and you will slow down. I'm not sure how anyone with any 2 wheeled vehicle or for that matter small car can deny this fact.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #54
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
500cc, 500 lbs, and from most angles looks like a full size bike...yes I would expect that there is little difference between drivers perception of a full size bike and your scooter.

I believe if you rode my little 30 year old Vespa on your same Atlanta roads your experience might be different. I know mine has been. I'm not new to this either- I've been riding since 1972.
I agree 100%. I do not get the same respect from cages on my Agility 125 as I do on the Tmax. But I have never had a problem with a cage while on the Agility, as I have always followed the advice given to me by my older and wiser neighbor when I got my first bike at 14 - "ride like you are invisible and all the cages are out to kill you". It has worked for me for the last 40 years. I also don't venture far from home on the Agility or take it on roads with a speed limit higher than 45 mph.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #55
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
That's a matter of opinion. In my opinion, wearing proper gear shows that the rider takes his riding seriously, whether on a motorcycle or a scooter. High vis shows that the rider is safety conscious. I have always tried to wear bright helmets and jackets and recently got a hi vis helmet and jacket. Personally I think the guy wearing shorts, T-shirt, and flips flops looks stupid but to each his own.

BTW, between wearing bright gear and riding offensively, I seldom get encroached on or cut off. On the rare occasion I do, it's usually easy to see it coming. I have not noticed any difference in how I am treated between my motorcycles and scooters. Maybe that's because I wear similar gear on all of them.
intrestingly at least here in Houston I rarely see riders with much gear on at all. In fact, sometimes it feels like riders wear LESS gear then they do if they are in a car.
I do know heat has a lot to do with it but still.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #56
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
Nature's Rules of the Roads

I won't bore you with tales of how long I've been riding or how far I've ridden. Suffice it to say I've had 30 bikes over the years. I bought my first scooter a year ago (400 Majesty) and have had a blast on it. I ride it more than my "real" bike. That's a lot since I commute daily year round on a bike. I also ride 180 miles (each way) to Atlanta weekly. The Majesty has plenty of scoot to handle Atl rush hr traffic and tops out at a GPS true 105 with my 300lbs on it. It's plenty of bike for anyone's commute.
I ride by nature's rules of the road - If it's going to hurt me more than them if we collide, they've got the right of way. It's worked well for me so far.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #57
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisMajesty400 View Post
Hey,

I wanted to add something about no respect on scooters... I believe that it true. I also do not think it is always the scooter rider's fault. I have a Geo Metro, and people behave disrespectful toward small cars. Granted, we drive the speed limit, but we drive in the slow lane, and drive courteously. People behave badly in bigger vehicles!
I think it depends on the appearance of the scooter as well. Vespa/Retro style scooters seem to be less respected. Probably due to the assumption that they're only 50cc scooters that are barely street legal.

On the road I don't think it's just large vs small I think it's high vs low power. Respect being determined by your engine output.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #58
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSkate View Post
I think it depends on the appearance of the scooter as well. Vespa/Retro style scooters seem to be less respected. Probably due to the assumption that they're only 50cc scooters that are barely street legal.

On the road I don't think it's just large vs small I think it's high vs low power. Respect being determined by your engine output.
Hmm, the asian styled small scoots get the least amount of respect in my experience. People equate them with the 50cc chinese junk, especially when they've been banged up and are missing chunks of their body paneling. My Vespa gets much more respect. Then again its a large frame GTS and any thoughts that its a 50cc piece of junk are usually erased fairly quickly.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #59
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 683
A Little Help Please

Hey folks, I need to transition to a new type of riding so I need to sell my DR650. Please tell your friends and neighbors about the great deal you just found. Thanks,

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822901
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #60
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukzelda View Post
Hi,

I have a 35 mile daily commute. I'm considering trading my 2nd motorcycle for a scooter for this commute. I need better weather protection for when cold weather hits.

Has anyone moved from a motorcycle to a large cc scooter? Thoughts? Is the weather protection sufficient?

thanks
Chuk
I have a Suzuki C90 cruiser and a V-Strom 1000. I bought a SYM Citycom 300i for commuting which is a bigwheel (16") scooter with a 60 inch wheelbase, stock windshield, upright riding position, excellent steering geometry and a stout frame. The weather protection is very good. It's a zippy little beast that easily keeps ahead of fast moving stop and go traffic.

An honest 65-70 mph is a smooth easy cruise. The bike fits my bulky six four 1/2 well and is so stable in corners and steers so well that I do almost all my rides on it now.

In three years of use and over 20,000 km it has proved to be much more reliable and trouble free than my big bikes.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote