ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #61
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 2,690
Yep, the NC700 seems to be a very fuel-efficient engine.

For comparison, I filled up this morning, and saw that I had got my DL650-2012 to go 100kms on 4.1 liters of fuel.. but this was all "stop and go" city-riding, havenīt had time to leave the urban area at all lately, on more steady touring-type of riding I do expect it to go down to about 3.3-3.6 liters for 100 kms. And the bike currently has less than 2000kms on it, that could also affect consumption a tiny bit. Iīm using gasoline with 5% ethanol.

(...now anyone care to enlighten me, how does one convert these funny European figures to US MPG??)
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #62
turbodieseli4i6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
turbodieseli4i6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: SW Missouri USA
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Yep, the NC700 seems to be a very fuel-efficient engine.

For comparison, I filled up this morning, and saw that I had got my DL650-2012 to go 100kms on 4.1 liters of fuel.. but this was all "stop and go" city-riding, havenīt had time to leave the urban area at all lately, on more steady touring-type of riding I do expect it to go down to about 3.3-3.6 liters for 100 kms. And the bike currently has less than 2000kms on it, that could also affect consumption a tiny bit. Iīm using gasoline with 5% ethanol.

(...now anyone care to enlighten me, how does one convert these funny European figures to US MPG??)
57 mpg isn't bad at all. Try this! http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/...conversion.htm The Dl650 is a great bike!
Lets see you get 80 mpg US!! I will bet you can get close. If Honda hadn't made the NCX, I would have bought a WEE.
I got 71 mpg my first tank but I'm just commuting.
turbodieseli4i6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:59 AM   #63
JoeWannaB OP
Usually a nice guy
 
JoeWannaB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Sylva, NC
Oddometer: 1,870
I was in my local Honda/Kawi/Suz dealer picking up parts and noticed an NC700 on the showroom floor. I don't know if it was the "X" because it only had NC700 on the side cover but I was impressed by how small it seemed to me in person. I'll have to go back (20 miles away) when I have some time to give it a closer look but it wasn't what I was expecting. So maybe it wasn't the X because it seemed sized more like a crotch rocket with an upright riding position.
__________________
JoltFilmz
JoeWannaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #64
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Oddometer: 152
My wife just bought a 2013 NC700X. It is a very fun bike to ride. Don't tell her it's not an adventure bike, because I have her convinced it's way more capable than my Speed Triple for the occasional excursion off the tarmac.
Every bike i've ever owned has been an adventure bike.
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 AM   #65
amk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 444
I just cannot see this bike as an "adventure" type, unless any dare out on a scoot down to a restaurant is an "adventure".

The major design flaw is fuel tank orifice. Having it under the rear seat means to gas the NX up one needs to take off the rear luggage first, or never have one, limit yourself to side cases only. 14 L of gas is not more than 300 km of range, is this an adventure?
All other are not big deals one by one, but together they make NX of pure street commuter type. No rear hugger, short front fender, therefore a 100 yards down to a gravel and the bike and the rider are looking like they have finished at Paris -Dakar. Noodles instead of front suspension.
It is another Versys, modern, fun to ride down a street, nice to look at, but otherwise pretty useless in its stock form. The whole impression after a test ride was I rode a cheap toy for real money.

amk screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 10:50 AM
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #66
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 1,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
I just cannot see this bike as an "adventure" type, unless any dare out on a scoot down to a restaurant is an "adventurer".

The major design flaw is fuel tank orifice. Having it under the rear seat means to gas the NX up one needs to take off the rear luggage first, or never have one, limit yourself to side cases only. 14 L of gas is not more than 300 km of range, is this an adventure?
All other are not big deals one by one, but together they make NX of pure street commuter type. No rear hugger, short front fender, therefore a 100 yards down to a gravel and the bike and the rider are looking like they have finished at Paris -Dakar. Noodles instead of front suspension.
It is another Versys, modern, fun to ride down a street, nice to look at, but otherwise pretty useless in its stock form. The whole impression after a test ride was I rode a cheap toy for real money.
It's a two wheeled RAV-4, not a Land Cruiser. It's mainly about the appearance, but it has some concessions to unpaved roads. Accept it for what it is, not what you want it to be, and it's not a bad bike for the price.
Garp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #67
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 2,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk View Post
14 L of gas is not more than 300 km of range, is this an adventure?
Every test report Iīve read says it uses unbelievably little gas. 2.8-3.5 liters per 100 kms seems to be in the ballpark. That gives a theoretical range of 400-500 kms, but in real-life itīs around 350-450 kms. At least over here, where gasoline is ultra-expensive, and itīs price goes even higher every day, I give that a big thumbs up.

I would NOT mind, though, if it had, say, a 20 L tank like my new DL650 does. That bikeīs not thirsty either, so I think with those extra 6 liters, it should beat the NC700X in range.

Adventure - that is in the rider, not in the bike. Remember, people go round the world on Vespaīs, Goldwings, Harleys, R1īs...............
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #68
amk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Adventure - that is in the rider, not in the bike. Remember, people go round the world on Vespaīs, Goldwings, Harleys, R1īs...............
There are few who walks, but we are still talking bikes, beasts here, aren't we? Just move the damn thing over to road bikes, where it belongs.
amk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #69
670cc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Illinois, USA
Oddometer: 13
2013 NCX? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
My wife just bought a 2013 NC700X. It is a very fun bike to ride. Don't tell her it's not an adventure bike, because I have her convinced it's way more capable than my Speed Triple for the occasional excursion off the tarmac.
Every bike i've ever owned has been an adventure bike.
Is that a typo or are they really selling 2013s already somewhere in the world? The USA has only had these bike about three weeks and they are ALL 2012s as far as I know.

Greg
670cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #70
RobK61
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 5
How do you post a picture?

????
RobK61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #71
Crilly
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 689
It belongs here as much as a maltistrada. At least I can ride one. 5'3"
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #72
swiss-happy
Rubberburner Joe
 
swiss-happy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
Is that a typo or are they really selling 2013s already somewhere in the world? The USA has only had these bike about three weeks and they are ALL 2012s as far as I know.

Greg
It is just marketing in the USA, I think.
There are no 2013 models. Many times in the US, they launch new models and predate them to the next year.
Lots of gas if you ask me.

Anyway, 2012 models are rumoured to be built in Japan (launch year).
I have one, and the finish quality speaks for itself.
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #73
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,195
A question for those wh have one...would it be possible to fit a 21 inch front and a 17 rear on this bike? If so it has a ton of potential for me for commutting and touring (mix of paved and gravel roads). The larger wheels (spoked) would have a couple of benefits for me, one to raise the bike a bit as I am 6'2 and second to enable it to ride gravel roads better.

__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #74
swiss-happy
Rubberburner Joe
 
swiss-happy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
A question for those wh have one...would it be possible to fit a 21 inch front and a 17 rear on this bike? If so it has a ton of potential for me for commutting and touring (mix of paved and gravel roads). The larger wheels (spoked) would have a couple of benefits for me, one to raise the bike a bit as I am 6'2 and second to enable it to ride gravel roads better.

Hi, I was told anything is possible.
It is not too difficult to fit the front with 21' if you really want. Just buy the rims which fit.
This is the opinion of a clueless mechanic guy who happens to own one of these little wonders.
swiss-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #75
Deadly99
Fast and Far
 
Deadly99's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Merrickville, Canada
Oddometer: 8,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss-happy View Post
Hi, I was told anything is possible.
It is not too difficult to fit the front with 21' if you really want. Just buy the rims which fit.
This is the opinion of a clueless mechanic guy who happens to own one of these little wonders.

I was more curious about clearance when the forks are compressed. The rear fender looks wide and high enough.
__________________
Tales From The Bivouac Rally Print Publications

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)


Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014