Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #196
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
3 more months (1st anniversary of fx) the fibular plate and tibial screw come out. Ankle is still somewhat larger than right side, but does not swell. Very stiff when I first get out of bed, but once I'm up and moving around I have to think about it to know all is not normal. No limp and I can ride my bicycle without any problem. I'm hoping removal of the hardware with time will result in a reduction of my ankle size to near normal and decreased stiffness in AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #197
GOZFST
Gozfst

Oddometer: 195
I broke my leg right above my ankle in 1970 when a drunk hit me while I was stopped at a light, years later I developed arthritis in the ankle, that got to the point where I needed cortisone shots every 3 months, 10 years ago I had my ankle fused, the pain went away after the fusion but I can no longer point my toes down and there is no way to get slip on boots on anymore. I hope you heal better than I did.
GOZFST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #198
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
I broke my leg right above my ankle in 1970 when a drunk hit me while I was stopped at a light, years later I developed arthritis in the ankle, that got to the point where I needed cortisone shots every 3 months, 10 years ago I had my ankle fused, the pain went away after the fusion but I can no longer point my toes down and there is no way to get slip on boots on anymore. I hope you heal better than I did.
My OS said that I will probably develop arthritis in my knee, but given my age, that is something that could have happened anyway. It's still better than the alternative! I'm very happy that I can walk mostly normally.

I think there's also been huge improvements in orthopedic care and outcomes tend to be better now than 40 years ago. For example, the use of titanium instead of stainless steel has led to better outcomes -- due partly to the lower modulus of elasticity, which closely matches bone (an interesting factoid I learned after my surgery ).
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 AM   #199
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOZFST View Post
Yikes.. Did you do PT? Pool, walk, stretching, range of motion stuff?

On the 24th of August it will be 2 months from my crash. Im no longer in a scooter. I have switched from cruthes to a cane & I've started walking a little in my walking boot. I have also just started limping around the house with just slippers on, no crutches, cane or scooter. Just my own two feet! Slow, somewhat awkward but... I am walking kinda.

I keep getting warned of arthritis. I am/was very active and just hope that with the PT, pool therapy, range of motion & ARPwave treatment 5 x week we might see favorable results. I have no desire to take the plate/hardware out. Too icky. Surgery and being down for another 3 months... I doubt my checkbook, wife, work could tolerate another blow.

Thanks for your update Eyes Shut. Keep on, keepin on!
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #200
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post

I have also just started limping around the house with just slippers on, no crutches, cane or scooter. Just my own two feet! Slow, somewhat awkward but... I am walking kinda.
Yay! Doesn't it feel good to be walking on your own feet again?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #201
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Broke my pelvis in three places, 4 upper ribs and left clavice on 4/11. All healed with only occasional problems with the left shoulder. Was walking in 7 weeks and back to work the week after that. Collision avoidance swerve on my '09 FJR on a wet road at 10 - 15 mph. First 5 minutes back on the bike were a bit strange but it has been great ever since.
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #202
liv2ryd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Cry 1 year anniversary

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my accident, and although I have healed just fine, every day I am reminded that I had quite an injury down there. Some days it's just a little ache or pain, some nights when I get into bed my ankle aches enough that I have to get up and take a couple of aspirin, but I can walk normally, take my dogs for a mile or two walk almost daily. I do find I am a little more cautious/tentative in situations that have the potential to twist my ankle.
Regarding riding, I have no problem whatsoever with street riding, have had my GTL out a couple of times for some great tours with no issues whatsoever, compression stockings I have found make a huge difference when long distance touring in end-of-day comfort.
Dirt riding, however, is a different story. I am definitely more tentative. I did go to the Rawhyde Arizona Rally, and the first day of dirt riding I was very nervous and tight riding in a group that I did not now. After about 45 minutes of riding we stopped and took a break, this was on pretty easy fire roads in the mountains south of Flagstaff, and I was almost ready to turn around and head back to camp. I was really questioning myself whether I should be doing that. I got back on the bike and things did start to ease up for me and I got to feeling more comfortable on the bike. The next day did a similar ride, and all was going well until I tried to turn around on a slight slope and the bike got away from me and went over and in getting off I twisted/sprained the opposite knee from the leg I injured. Great. That turned out ok, it wasn't hurt too bad, several days of icing and painkillers brought it around. This really got me to thinking about my abilities to handle a 1200GS. The last ride I took on my GS this summer was over Guanella Pass in the Front Range of Colorado, which is basically paved the whole way, some dirt sections, and we took an off-road trail which went pretty well except for a stream crossing we came to, and I could not bring myself to cross it. It wasn't particularly long or deep, but I just couldn't bring myself to cross that stream for fear of slipping and dropping the bike yet again and hurting something else, or my already compromised ankle. So, the GS sits, I love the bike, love the exploring, but I think my time may be up with it. There is a new Wrangler Rubicon sitting in my driveway which allows my wife to come along with me to enjoy the back country, this will be how I explore in the future. As Harry Callahan played by Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations."
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #203
L0cky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I broke my ankle (trimaellor) fracture on the 6th May this year.
Titanium plate and 9 screws..

I'm walking and jogging - and cycling a fair bit..

Still swells bad by the end of the day, but if I wear my compression socks, its normally fine.

It doesn't really hurt, but it feels different from the other leg - my guess is that it always will, and I'll just get used to it.

They tell me they want to leave the hardware in..its just under the skin on the outside of my ankle, gives a sting if you cross your legs or move your legs wrong in bed..I'll be seeing the doc again in coming months to see if its ok to have out...I'd feel better (even if my leg doesn't) if it wasn't in there..

L0cky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #204
Tin Bender
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Wow!! 11 pages+, quite a thread. Wish I had this much info (and sympathy?) when I shattered my ankle years ago.

Early 70's, Kawi 750 Triple, tight decreasing radius turn with huge frost heaves before the apex. And a squid with more balls than ability in the saddle.

Went screaming into this unknown turn and blew it. Too much brake way too late and those big frost heaves in the pavement totally upset the bike,resulting in a big high side get off. Slide several yards across the pavement, off into the weeds where my outstretched right leg met with a good sized boulder in the weeds. Complete arrest of speed, all absorbed by the ankle. Protective gear?? "Shit, we don't need no protective gear...we're young and stupid". Levi's, Levi jacket, tennis shoes. and an early Bell full face helmet, 'bout the only good peice of gear on. Bonked my head a good one, but the helmet did it's job. Lesson learned there.

Net result was a heel cup and ankle shattered in a gazillion pieces. X-rays looked like 3 ice cubes in a baggie thrown at a wall, what a mess!! Reconstructive surgery, 2 screws and 2 casts, 6 months later finally off the crutches. Doctor informed me that the two most complex joints in the body are the ankle and wrists because of the many small bones. Reminded me because of this, said they are the most painful and longest to heal fractures one can endure. He was right, hurt like the dickens.

Recovery similar to the other inmates comments. Ankle swollen like a grapefruit, tender as hell and the better part of 10 years before I could say it was fully healed and pain free. It's one of those things that stays with you for a LONG time.

But, there is an upside to all this. You know the old wive's tale of ability to predict weather, "I can feel it in my bones, it's gonna rain". Yup, I'm more accurate than the talking heads on TV now!!!!
Tin Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #205
Queenie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
I just read through this entire thread for advice because my husband is now a member of the club. Last Sunday on a trip home from the Texas Hill Country, he had a bad left low side off his bike. Two ambulance rides later (115 miles!) he was in Temple, Tx for surgery to repair two tibia, 1 fibula and an ankle fracture. Unfortunately because of a previous total knee replacement on the same leg, the normal fix of placing a rod down the tibia was not an option. So, 12 screws and two plates later, he's put back together with no weight bearing for 3 months. I feel so bad for him as he broke ribs too so he's having a hell of a time getting around. Each day he is just a little better but the task of recovery from this get off seems rather daunting at this point. I'll get him on the laptop this afternoon so he can read this thread.

He's been riding for 40 years and this is his only crash so we both consider him lucky and know that his injuries could have been worse. He wants to ride again. I'm thankful for that because I ride my own bike too and have way more fun when we are riding together. I'm interested to know if anyone has crashed again after having the plates installed. Specifically, would a subsequent injury to the same leg wind up fracturing the only area of his leg that isn't plated? With a knee implant and both leg bones plated, he only has about a 4 inch area of his tibia, just below his knee implant that doesn't have steel on it. My concern would be that this portion of his leg, in the event of another get off, would break in an instant. Kinda scary.

I'm really glad that I found this thread with all the good info. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences.
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #206
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Queenie,
I'm so sorry to read of your husband's accident. I have yet to really get back to motorcycling, but please tell your husband that at 62 I had my first motorcycle accident and broke my ankle (plate and screws). I recovered enough after 3 months to start back at some serious bicycle riding only to get involved in a worse accident (compound, comminuted clavicular fracture, 5 broken ribs and a pneumothorax). It has been 7 months now since any broken bones and I'm bicycling 20 miles 3 times/week for the last 3 weeks. I pinch myself that I've been able to return to my normal activities after those 2 accidents. A return to motorcycling will commence soon.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #207
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,527
If I crash on my right leg the wrong way it is going to break where they drilled holes in my fibula to run the ligaments. I didn't get plates or screws but it was non load bearing for six months plus another three or four in a walking boot because of the bone work. Then a second scope surgery to clean up soft tissue damage he couldn't get the first time. So that was another three months in a boot waiting on tendons to heal.

So the idea crashing on that ankle is a bit scary. The amount of damage I could do with a smple get off is pretty impressive. What I do is never ride without MX boots plus strap on knee/shin armor. To be honest, I won't even start my kick only 200 unless I am wearing that stuff. My friends have accepted that I am going to armored up from knees down no matter how casual the ride.

So far I have only had one really bad crash since the surgery. I endoed and the bike landed on my left ankle and slid down the trail. It did zero damage to my ankle. My shoulder and butt weren't so lucky. But if I had landed on my bad ankle the boots would have saved me because I literally felt nothing through the boots. Good MX boots are expensive. And I am due for a new pair.

But I figure they are the only thing between me and a broken leg plus fused ankle.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 01:44 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #208
DannyG
I have the waypoint.

Oddometer: 3,350
usually the next fracture will be above or below the old injury...
FYI
biker divided between the one that been down and the one that WILL be down..
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #209
macd7919
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETDOC View Post
3 more months (1st anniversary of fx) the fibular plate and tibial screw come out. Ankle is still somewhat larger than right side, but does not swell. Very stiff when I first get out of bed, but once I'm up and moving around I have to think about it to know all is not normal. No limp and I can ride my bicycle without any problem. I'm hoping removal of the hardware with time will result in a reduction of my ankle size to near normal and decreased stiffness in AM.
I had a a major ankle injury in 2009 (not motorcycle related). At the time of injury I didn't realize the extent of the damage, I hobbled out to my car while hanging onto any ledge or railing I could for support, drove home, put ice on my ankle then realized the pain was so great that I was reaching my threshold quickly (looking back I was probably going into some form of shock as nearly an hour had passed since the break). I had the GF come home and take me to the hospital where I was told after first inspection that I would be needed surgery right away. Damage included completely broken ankle (luckily not compound) with 5" spiral fracture up the bone from the break, chipped heal and all tendons ripped off the inside of my foot. I was in surgery roughly 6 hours after the break and came out with a plate and 7 screws.

I experienced similar symptoms of heavy throbbing in my leg if left "down" for too much time, swelling (to the extent that at one point my skin just peeled off like a really bad sunburn) along with general stiffness. I returned to get the 2 largest screws out of my ankle but am still carrying the plate and remaining 5 screws today.

FWIW, as it's coming up on roughly 3 years from my break I can say that my general mobility is only slightly, if at all, hindered. Cold/Wet mornings I can sometimes feel a small amount of stiffness but nothing that would be any worse than the feeling of a mildly tight muscle. Hopefully this won't be a downer for you but as far as size goes my ankle has never returned to "normal" size. It's not huge by any means but it's visibly larger than my "good" ankle. I would estimate it to be about 10-20% larger in diameter at the worst spot, people aren't going to notice it if your walking around in shorts and tennis shoes but if you look down at yourself you will be able to tell right away, you may also be able to tell on mx boots as you will have to loosen up one boot a little more. Long story short, I'm by no means a doctor but if it's anything like my experience you will probably slowly shrink over quite a long period but 10-20% larger is where my ankle settled at. The mornings will also slowly go away, or at least you will quit noticing, not sure which for me on that one, lol. Good luck on healing, make sure to try and stay flexible with ankle exercises (especially before bed in the evening when your relaxed).

macd7919 screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 12:14 AM
macd7919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #210
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Broken leg and ankle - One year later

Well, it's been almost exactly a year since I broke my tibia, fibula, and ankle. I'm happy to report that I have recovered quite well. I'm walking and hiking with no perceptible limp, and have essentially no ankle swelling. My knee is a little stiff, and I can feel it more when stepping down (as when hiking downhill), but it's bearable. All my hardware is still in place and I have no plans to remove the hardware.

Two weeks after my accident:

One year later:

That scar on the inside of my leg is where the bones were sticking out. Ick!! It makes me queasy to think about that.

So, how is everyone else in broken ankle/broken leg land? Post up your updates and let us know how you are doing!