Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #106
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
Yep that's all that is in the toolkit (useless).
Just a FYI, a Ninja 250 (1st Generation) toolkit is perfect for the CRF230. I had a couple Ninja kits laying around since I had rebuilt and sold several over the last 2 years.

24 mm wrench (rear axle nut)
17/14 mm open end wrench (17 for the front axle)
10/12 mm open end wrench
screwdriver handle (and #1 and #2 Phillips, or JIS, bits)
4,5, & 6 mm Allen
extension for the 24 and the Allens
pliers

If you're careful, you can pack the tools in the vinyl pouch that comes with the Ninja kit and make it fit in the Honda tool holder. And Ninja 250 parts are easy to find and cheap, esp on C-list. Obviously, if you were travelling far from home, you would need more, such as a patch kit, tire irons, compressor, etc., but these tools would get you started.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #107
SixtyAte
Daily Dirt Commuter

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Just a FYI, a Ninja 250 (1st Generation) toolkit is perfect for the CRF230. I had a couple Ninja kits laying around since I had rebuilt and sold several over the last 2 years.

24 mm wrench (rear axle nut)
17/14 mm open end wrench (17 for the front axle)
10/12 mm open end wrench
screwdriver handle (and #1 and #2 Phillips, or JIS, bits)
4,5, & 6 mm Allen
extension for the 24 and the Allens
pliers

If you're careful, you can pack the tools in the vinyl pouch that comes with the Ninja kit and make it fit in the Honda tool holder. And Ninja 250 parts are easy to find and cheap, esp on C-list. Obviously, if you were travelling far from home, you would need more, such as a patch kit, tire irons, compressor, etc., but these tools would get you started.
Nice heads up just found one on ebay for $30
Old 05-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #108
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Newbie with newly-acquired CRF230L

Bought a CRF230L two weeks ago. Really enjoying it, dirt roads and trails, like back to my youth at 55 yrs! I have ridden since 1970, two stroke open class motos and 750cc street coast-to-coast and AK to Mexico in the '70s. I will use the CRF230L to do the WA Backcountry Discovery Route, with my modifications, in out-and-back loops from my home in NCW, Leavenworth, WA. With this bike, I can add single-track mountain sections to the route. Really fun on the many log roads and single-track on many mountains here. I have been riding my moto 2 hrs and MTB 2 hrs on days off, great diversity for fitness!

Thus far, I have raised the handlebars one inch and removed the seat strap. On the way is a Seat Concepts seat, Flatland skid plate, Great Basin soft bag,

When I get it set-up will follow with photos.

Here is a photo link: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=0c203075e7

Locals interested in this route and local riding please PM here. Thanks.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 05-28-2012 at 11:01 AM Reason: add photo link
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #109
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,169
Ok guys, I just picked this up for the wife. 08 CRF 230L with 5k on the clock. Got a great deal on it. New MT 21s front and rear. Literally not a scratch on it. The only thing I did was take the pee shooter off the OEM pipe. I want her to be heard on the road. It's bone stock other than that. Will I need to rejet with the open pipe or will it be fine. Anything I should know about these bikes? Anything need to be addressed before we go any farther? Thank and compared to the other thread I frequent (Husqvarna TE 610 owners sign in) this ones a bit light. Let's get good info flowing here! had to get my baby in the pic;)

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #110
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Ok guys, I just picked this up for the wife.
Yeah right LOL

Everybody buys these for the wife, gf, so - but who's gonna ride it? Gotta admit, the little CRF is a hoot, even with other bikes in the stable.

Can't imagine re-jetting is going to help much. I pulled the emissions equipment and shimmed the needle with 1 washer, seems to run well from sea level to 5000 msl.

Enjoy "the wife's" new bike. :-)
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #111
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,233
All you pulled off was the spark arrestor right? I wouldn't think a rejet is necessary
Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM   #112
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Probably the most comprehensive source of jetting (and other) info is http://www.hondacrf230l.com

I'm running a 122 main jet and a 38 slow (pilot) jet in my CRF230M, with the stock exhaust, sea level to 4500 feet. Much better throttle response and no surging compared to stock (118/35).
Old 06-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #113
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips guys! I got spoiled with my FI bike and JD tuner. Changing jets seems like a PIA to me now.

Life is good!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #114
ADVNCW
Banned

Excellent dual-sport somewhat like a trials bike performance

I really like riding my 2008 CRF230L. I got it with 900+ miles for $2900 in May. I am 6' 1 " tall, 230 lbs, riding since 1970 on dirt and street, have ridden 'adventure travel' in the '70s and '80s, trail, MX, hare scrambles, east coast woods, western mountains. The Honda CRF230L is comfortable enough for some traveling, and trail-capable to be easy to ride on tight, rocky singletrack in the mountains. This is the second moto that this big, experienced rider has purchased that is reputed to be for wives, girls, or little people...let me tell you, it gets the job done just fine- not thrilling, not showy, but gets the job done.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...28872926_n.jpg

I decided on the CRF230L because 1) 269 lbs wet weight 2) shortest wheelbase of same or larger dual-sport motos for tight mountain riding and the nasty 180 degree singletrack switchbacks 3) lowest 1st gear similar to my trials-type moto 3) lowest seat height 4) to add adventure traveling again to my life I did not spend a lot, I have a late model snomo and $10k worth of backcountry skis boots bindings bought in the past 6 yrs, so good to not go crazy spending on a moto 5) Japan-made quality 6) moderate-performance and low-maintenance motor that will last forever, simple eg no radiator, very reliable, capable of high mileage.

Egos and substitute-for-personal-size issues aside, this bike gets the job done with a wide margin of safety. In 1200 miles of dirt riding I was thrown one time, when my shifter hooked a rock on a mountain trail. With the weight and low seat height, I can put both feet down on either side on a sidehill. I can pull up the front end and pivot 180 degrees. I can pick it up if needed or easily just side it around! Safe is good, I have had enough injuries. In the past I wasted my ACL on my Husky, whiplashed my cervical spine and incurred concussion and other fractures parachuting, incurred thoracic vertebral fracture, lumbar (L1) fracture falling off of a mountain bike- enough, I do not need more hard crashes! So my thought is, when one gets control of the testosterone and boy-moto urges it is possible to have a great time riding a moto like this!

The low gearing and tractable power allow me to climb what the big $8 to $10k bikes climb...with a lot less invested! Suspension limits bashing around on rough terrain, but I enjoy finesse and reading then riding terrain. Not that I mind my former long-travel screaming moto where one just wicks the throttle WFO and hits stuff- I just got tired of the tall powerful bike on narrow mountain trails with 180 singletrack switchbacks where one rides slowly and cannot use the power and tall suspension to the full extent.

I just sold my 1987 TLR200 Honda Reflex that I enjoyed riding the Wenatchee Mtns singletrack in the high mountains- narrow, rocky, mountain trails. I am a big guy, I do a lot of hiking and climbing in the mountains and was a logger and fur trapper in my youth. My first bike was a 1971 Suzuki 50, then a TS185, GT250, Husqvarna CR360 that I tried to race, and a 1975 Suzuki GT750 water buffalo that I rode the US coast-to-coast, to Alaska when it was gravel road, and my last fast dirt bike was a new '83 IT490.

The Honda CRF230L is easy to ride and good for smaller folks. However, it is underappreciated and is a quality bike for serious terrain and dual-sporting! It works for me and I am not a wife, girl, or short person...

ADVNCW screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 11:52 AM
Old 07-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #115
Ferdinand
Ride The Wind ForeverFree

Oddometer: 290
I've cleaned out the garage and this is going to be my cheapskate do it all bike, because I've sold all my other bikes. First time I've had one bike in about 10 years.
Ferdinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #116
ADVNCW
Banned

12 tooth front sprocket even better!

Even better with a 12 tooth front sproket. My CRF230L seems like the ultimate trail bike dual sport.

My mods-

Emissions stuff removed, rejetted, nice clean power boost from that. Max stiff on the rear shock, 15W in the front forks, Seat Concepts seat, XR only footpegs, MSR folding shift lever, Flatland skid plate, 1 7/8 inch handlebar risers for this 6'+ rider.

The 12 tooth sprocket installed yesterday made it so great on the steep black diamond Forest Trail- Tronsen Ridge from Camas. With the low gearing my 230L walked up roosted-out roots on steep switchbacks singletrack on the side of the mountain- without spinning the wheel at all. Tractable power, walks right up, easy. I ride trails and switchbacks mostly feet-up and a lot in 2nd gear, where the ruts indicate the usual nice dirt bikes have completely roosted their way up, and roosted and spun around the switchbacks.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=818df6e0ea

The downside:

My 230L will not pull highway speeds on a mountain pass. The last three miles of Blewett Pass Hwy 97 is steep and slows my Jeep Wrangler down to 50-55. Same for my 230L. I hoped the 12 tooth would solve it, but, alas, still slowed down to 50 in one spot on the last steep 3 mles of Blewett from Leavenworth,

That is a small thing compared to how fun, easy, safe my 230L is on dirt roads and gnarly singletrack. To do all this and pull the mountain passes fast I would need to upgrade to an $8K or $10k motorcycle. Probably not.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 03:21 PM
Old 08-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #117
ADVNCW
Banned

Great trail bike, 83 MPG easy trail and dirt road riding!

Anyone else using this great motorcycle for narrow and technical riding, alternated with easy dirt and dirt roads, travel/ camping?

Even unmodfied,a totally capable rough-terrain moto! I ride narrow FS mountain trails, in the tight stuff as far as I see as fast as $$ motos and faster than the heavier DP bikes, with ease. 269 lbs full of gas, I just do not drop this bike because it is little and light. The downside is lack of performance at highway speeds especially on mountain highway. Oh, and lack of roosting ability...it just climbs and goes smoothly without a fuss.

The replacement/ new thing the CRF250F is nearly 60 lbs heavier and longer. More comfortable probably, looks cool, great on all but the tighest stuff. But ...heavy. Do not forget power to weight- most folks underestimate what a 230L or 1/4 liter can do on a light chassis- good power to weight. Oh, and the simple air-cooled 230L, Japan-made, r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e, will run forever. It pulls my large carcass around the mountains in hot weather and never seems adversely affected. All the components, lights, starter, etc, just work well, always.

My hope is that this type of ride will be available in 7- 10 yrs when I have totally used up my 230L!

Great trail bike, 83 MPG easy trail and dirt road riding! 63 MPG with camp load trying to go highway speed in the mountains. 70 MPG on tight technical trail riding. With the low-end power I think I am riding faster at lower RPM = > MPG, as I learn this bike.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #118
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

FYI, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19045821

Life is good!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #119
SixtyAte
Daily Dirt Commuter

Oddometer: 92
Pirelli MT-21

I put on a set of Pirelli MT-21's a couple of days ago and so far I'm very happy with them. They are certainly more aggressive than stock yet still have good road manners. I'm having some shimmy at 50+ on gravel, but I'm running 38 psi. Dropping the pressure some such help.
I put them on myself, and recommend everyone else do the same. Motion Pro spoons and Youtube videos made it go pretty smooth.

As you can see I got almost 400 miles out of the stockers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hh2TgcExRM
Old 08-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #120
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
I put on a set of Pirelli MT-21's a couple of days ago and so far I'm very happy with them. They are certainly more aggressive than stock yet still have good road manners. I'm having some shimmy at 50+ on gravel, but I'm running 38 psi. Dropping the pressure some such help.
I put them on myself, and recommend everyone else do the same. Motion Pro spoons and Youtube videos made it go pretty smooth.

As you can see I got almost 400 miles out of the stockers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hh2TgcExRM
That's way way way too much air pressure for the MT 21!! That's a lightweight bike, 18-22 is plenty! Make sure you put the front tire back on proper, axle bolt 1st, the bounce the suspension, then the pinch bolts. If done on the wrong order, this could cause the shake at speed!

Life is good!

1 lunger screwed with this post 08-16-2012 at 06:25 PM