ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #76
willis 2000
neo-quixote
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: idaho
Oddometer: 2,430
the hunsky

$100.
A locally understood term of exchange.
Pay up, it's a tariff.
The grease.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #77
JustBelowCloudNine
n00b
 
JustBelowCloudNine's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Oddometer: 6
Thanks for the info, hopefully I won't have to do a VIN check, although the two statements below from the VT application instructions PDF kind of contradict each other:

A visual verification of the identification number (serial number) of your vehicle is required if the vehicle is required to be titled and:

Was last registered in another state (unless purchased from an out of state dealer fo rthe purpose of registering in VT) or

The vehicle is a motorcycle with an engine size of 300cc's or more and last registered in another state or

Is a non-titleable motorcycle with an engine size of 500 ccs or more cc's unless proof of a previous registration is submitted.

I am guessing that since the first sentence says "required to be titled" means that my bike does not apply to the 300cc rule because since my bike (Non-running Suzuki 1985 GS 450L) is more than 15 years old, it is non titleable, meaning only the 500cc rule would apply....confirming that I do not need a VIN check. Who knows, government lingo is always worded so they have a way to do either if they choose to. I'll be more than happy to verify my legitimate VIN if it gets me a registration card that will turn into an IL title.

With the above verbiage Luniz7 should not have had to do a VIN verification. Luniz, did you just have a VIN verification completed before you sent in your application (to be proactive), or did you send it in and they responded with the VIN verification requirement?

http://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations...inverification - you had provided this link, but it only references New Vehicles and Used Vehicles 15 yrs old and Newer? So happy to see that after the little hiccup with them upping the registration fee, you have a registered bike to ride!

Hopefully this runs smooth as pie, I think the prime bikes for this procedure are bikes that are 500ccs or less and greater than 15 years old (although I am sure this has been mentioned at least 10x in previous posts of this thread).

Willis - at least you had a Nevada title at all. I, Mr. Irresponsible, lost my Wisconsin title already signed over to me before I registered because the battery went out and the bike went into storage within 2 weeks of obtaining it. This was an ebay purchase that was completed outside of Ebay so I have no way of finding out the owners contact info (unlisted). I did find on the Wisconsin DMV site that they have a vehicle/driver information request form where you can request the previous owners name/address for $7.00. I've had the bike for 7 years and no theft report has been filed, so even if he got shady all the sudden, he would have no proof in court (plus I have the bill of sale). If contacting him, provided WI gives me the information, doesn't pan out, I'll be happy to increase Vermont's revenue :) I'll also be happy to pay tax on the original sale price to VT if this all works out, even though it is currently not running!

Happy Riding All -

JustBelowCloudNine screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 07:05 AM
JustBelowCloudNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #78
luniz7
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Did Vermont accept the Colorado VIN form, or did you get the emissions station to fill out the Vermont form? I never had to deal with that because my VT registrations were for a KZ400, a GPz750 that had been tagged in VT before, and a cage.



Note that VIN checks are only required on motorcycles that are 500cc or over (or 300cc or over AND <15 years old, which would also require a title), so your '85 GS450 wouldn't need a VIN check for Vermont.
Yes they accepted the CO VIN form.
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #79
luniz7
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBelowCloudNine View Post
Thanks for the info, hopefully I won't have to do a VIN check, although the two statements below from the VT application instructions PDF kind of contradict each other:

A visual verification of the identification number (serial number) of your vehicle is required if the vehicle is required to be titled and:

Was last registered in another state (unless purchased from an out of state dealer fo rthe purpose of registering in VT) or

The vehicle is a motorcycle with an engine size of 300cc's or more and last registered in another state or

Is a non-titleable motorcycle with an engine size of 500 ccs or more cc's unless proof of a previous registration is submitted.

I am guessing that since the first sentence says "required to be titled" means that my bike does not apply to the 300cc rule because since my bike (Non-running Suzuki 1985 GS 450L) is more than 15 years old, it is non titleable, meaning only the 500cc rule would apply....confirming that I do not need a VIN check. Who knows, government lingo is always worded so they have a way to do either if they choose to. I'll be more than happy to verify my legitimate VIN if it gets me a registration card that will turn into an IL title.

With the above verbiage Luniz7 should not have had to do a VIN verification. Luniz, did you just have a VIN verification completed before you sent in your application (to be proactive), or did you send it in and they responded with the VIN verification requirement?

http://dmv.vermont.gov/registrations...inverification - you had provided this link, but it only references New Vehicles and Used Vehicles 15 yrs old and Newer? So happy to see that after the little hiccup with them upping the registration fee, you have a registered bike to ride!

Hopefully this runs smooth as pie, I think the prime bikes for this procedure are bikes that are 500ccs or less and greater than 15 years old (although I am sure this has been mentioned at least 10x in previous posts of this thread).

Willis - at least you had a Nevada title at all. I, Mr. Irresponsible, lost my Wisconsin title already signed over to me before I registered because the battery went out and the bike went into storage within 2 weeks of obtaining it. This was an ebay purchase that was completed outside of Ebay so I have no way of finding out the owners contact info (unlisted). I did find on the Wisconsin DMV site that they have a vehicle/driver information request form where you can request the previous owners name/address for $7.00. I've had the bike for 7 years and no theft report has been filed, so even if he got shady all the sudden, he would have no proof in court (plus I have the bill of sale). If contacting him, provided WI gives me the information, doesn't pan out, I'll be happy to increase Vermont's revenue :) I'll also be happy to pay tax on the original sale price to VT if this all works out, even though it is currently not running!

Happy Riding All -

I sent the registration form in to Vermont before without the VIN form and it got returned. You dont need a VIN check. Post 74 describes why.
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #80
JustBelowCloudNine
n00b
 
JustBelowCloudNine's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Oddometer: 6
Ahhh, just realized your 1978 KZ750 is 750 ccs, hence the reason you had to get the vin check. Woot woot. Thanks!
JustBelowCloudNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #81
Spitfire151
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 27
One question I do have is how does inspection and insurance work on situations such as this?
Spitfire151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #82
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling
 
1Bonehead's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Marylanstain
Oddometer: 952
OK my question:
I own a CRE250. A mtorcycle factory converted Honda CR 250. It has its own vin number and not a honda VIN.

Could I get a Vermont title and plates for it then retitle here in MD? Since it is a 1995 should I wait until next year or go with the vin check and get a Vermont title anyway?

I want to make it a street legal 2 stroker
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #83
Spitfire151
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 27
Bonehead I think here in PA if it's a 'reconstituted vehicle' you can get a title completely legally through your DMV.
Spitfire151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #84
51D7H3K1D
n00b
 
51D7H3K1D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 9
Theres a part on the registration form about the seller of the vehicle. So if you bought a motorcycle without a title and wanted to register it you would have to go back to the seller and get him to sign this?

Just trying to clarify before i spend a few hundred dollars on a title-less bike. haha
__________________
If dreams were dollars...I could fix up that Bultaco and ride her to Alaska.
51D7H3K1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #85
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling
 
1Bonehead's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Marylanstain
Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire151 View Post
Bonehead I think here in PA if it's a 'reconstituted vehicle' you can get a title completely legally through your DMV.
It came with a title but not from Honda but from the mod company .
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #86
luniz7
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51D7H3K1D View Post
Theres a part on the registration form about the seller of the vehicle. So if you bought a motorcycle without a title and wanted to register it you would have to go back to the seller and get him to sign this?

Just trying to clarify before i spend a few hundred dollars on a title-less bike. haha
Easiest way around this is have your buddy "sale" you the bike and then he can fill that info out.... Make sure you bill of sale is from him too.
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #87
luniz7
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aurora, CO
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
It came with a title but not from Honda but from the mod company .
I have no idea about the 250, you could try. Worst thing they do is send your stuff back...I had it happen to me.
luniz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #88
Spitfire151
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Oddometer: 27
So, anyone insure/and have their bikes inspected after doing this?
Spitfire151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #89
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Oddometer: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
OK my question:
I own a CRE250. A mtorcycle factory converted Honda CR 250. It has its own vin number and not a honda VIN.

Could I get a Vermont title and plates for it then retitle here in MD? Since it is a 1995 should I wait until next year or go with the vin check and get a Vermont title anyway?

I want to make it a street legal 2 stroker
You can never get a Vermont title for a 250 because only bikes 300cc and up are titled. You get a registration only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire151 View Post
One question I do have is how does inspection and insurance work on situations such as this?
Insurance works the same way it does almost everywhere, you buy insurance and they give you a card :)

Inspections in Vermont aren't linked to the registration; enforcement is by the cops giving you a ticket for no sticker, which can only happen in Vermont.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #90
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Oddometer: 4,453
may be worth checking out...
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014