Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #496
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Oddometer: 749
In the course of doing some overdue maintenance I removed my stator cover and was delighted to find mud from spring and summer mudholes packed into every crack and crevice. This was after a few minutes of carefully scraping away while trying to keep the debris away from the stator section:

I'm tempted to spray it with PineSol and let that do it's magic and put the cover back on.

Similarly, the rear drum looked horrible since drums are so effective at capturing and retaining moisture for months at a time:

The moral?

If you ride through mud your front primary will be stuffed with dried goo and you probably won't be able to tell since the stator cover blocks any view of the area. If you ride through water, your drums should be disassembled and dried.

Every time.

That's probably going to happen, right? Yeah, right.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 08-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #497
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
This is why most dirt bikes have the cover over the front sprocket either removed,cut back considerably or large enough holes to allow the pressure washer to blow that stuff out.

And the brakes need a drain hole to allow that water to drain out.You cannot keep the water from getting in so it needs a good path to get back out.
Or just use disc brakes.....

Mr. BW
No need to send me your swingarm.Before we go through that expense, I'l just take my own bike apart to get the measurements I need.

Is there any one out there in dire need of a set of swingarm bushings or eccentrics for a 350? For the BW200, someone will have to send me parts to measure.
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #498
NZer-BWheeler
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Sprockets BW200 N

While stripping out the swingarm, have noticed that both primary sprockets have
pretty much had it, so will replace both sprockets and chain.Currently they are
sized 12T on the engine and 16T on the rear primary. I know the 16 is the
factory size, but was wondering about the 12 ( was this the factory spec ? ).I
am thinking of going to either 13 or 14 on the engine, as to my mind the
gearing, especially in the higher gears seems a little on the light side.Any
thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.
NZer-BWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #499
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

NZBWer,

12 is the original size sprocket off of the transmission.

An important thing to keep in mind with the sprockets is that they are for different size chains. The front chain is a 530 while the rear is a 520. The BWs have a reputation for excessive wear on the chains. I think that this is due in some part to the wrong size chains being used.

If you use smaller sprockets on the primary (front) chain you can run into clearance problems because the chain will rub on the swing arm. The rearmost sprocket is difficult to source in any other size because it is dished to provide offset for chain alignment. You can fabricate a spacer and use a standard, flat sprocket but the easiest one to change might be the forward sprocket on the secondary chain. Even that is limited by the space available inside the chaincase.

Another option to change your gearing (sort of) is through wheel size. A 25" tire gives you slightly higher gearing while the 22" gives lower.

Shercoman,

The swing arm is a spare, so if it would save you much trouble it might be worthwhile to send it to you. It could serve as a testbed for fitting the replacements that you fabricate without having to disassemble your machine.

I don't know if there is a an immediate need for more than a few bushing at the moment but there always seems to be a steady demand for new ones, a few units at a time.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 08-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #500
NZer-BWheeler
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Mr Bigwheel

Could I go up one or two sizes on the front primary socket-say either 13 or 14 tooth to acheive a slightly higher ratio ?. One other question that has me wondering Mr Big, is how the hell do you guys ride in freezing temps ???.....dont your bits and pieces get frozen

Shercoman- I could send you a 200n thrust cover ( slightly knackered) once I can source the replacements for my bike.
NZer-BWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #501
Shercoman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Having parts on hand is easier than taking my own bike apart!!
Shercoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:40 PM   #502
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

Here are the 350s at Eska Falls from a ride last Saturday:

Here's another with Cliff doing his best impersonation of Captain Morgan:

Get some captain in you!

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #503
truckinwagen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
hey all, I just bought a BW200 of my own after riding my uncles all summer out in sunny Dutch Harbor.

found an 85 for a song and just got it in running condition.
had to replace the tires, rebuild and tune the carb, replace all the bearings and chain.
other than that it just took a bath and some gas.

it still needs the tank replaced, but the prices of new ones are too ridiculous to do that now( the one on it holds gas, but is all cracked and brittle.

here are the pics of the bike after its shakedown run out at Jim Creek:

the tires are ITP mud lite 25-8-12 on the front, and 25-12-9 rear and they are truly awesome!

-Owen
truckinwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #504
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 256
Truckinwagon, Welcome!

I looked at that bike that you bought from C.L. (the guy was in Spenard). The guy did not accept my offer, but I really didn't need another project so I passed on that one (I have 2 BW 350's). Glad you have taken on the project. Did you get the throttle smoothed out? It was like sandpaper when I looked at it. The tires certainly needed replacement as well.

Now that you have done your shakedown ride at Jim creek, it is now time to completely take the bike apart and clean it. If you have not yet found out about eccentric bushings and primary chain adjustment, you soon will. At the very least, you should probably check the swingarm eccentrics and such twice a season (if you can, I am lucky to do it once a season). Mr. Bigwheel and I ride our 350's all winter long in places such as Jim creek and others with the aid of studded tires. Welcome!

I just put new front and rear brake shoes on my bike this evening. The old ones would not stay adjusted at all. I have yet to take a test ride, but I can already tell that it will be a big improvement from my former non-existant brakes.

Cliff.

Cliff h screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 01:48 AM
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #505
truckinwagen
Adventurer

the bike has since been cleaned (about thirty seconds after the photo was taken) it just looked so good all covered in mud!

I confess that I failed to see anything about the rear swingarm bushings that looked eccentric, but I could look into it more.

all I did to the throttle was take it off, clean it real good, and put some lithium greese on the bar where it rides, works real good now.

it really didn't take much to get rolling, the tires took more time than the rest of it combined.

as for winter, I can see that, the bike my uncle bought had a chain on the rear and about 100 screw in carbide studs up front

unfortunately the clearance between the rear tire and the swingarm might make even studs hard to fit.
I am heading back out to Jim Creek tomorrow morning to get my bike all dirty again!

-Owen
Old 08-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #506
Mr. BigWheel OP
b00b

truckinwagen,

I second the welcome.

The eccentrics that Cliff is talking about are just the bushings that the swing arm's shaft pass through. They look like this:

They are machined with the hole off center and are rotated to provide adjustment for the tension on the primary chain.

The bushings are a common source of trouble since they are extremely challenging to remove if they are neglected.

This is what one side looks like when it is partially pushed out of the bore:

Before too long, you'll have to adjust the primary chain and hopefully your eccentrics are still moving freely.

I'm psyched that you grabbed that 200 and got it going again. We'll have to have a BW meet at Jim Creek and see how many Yamahas we can drown at one time.

Regards,

Mr. BigWheel
Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #507
truckinwagen
Adventurer

cool, it does not look like the eccentric has alot of adjustment built into it, I just replaced the primary chain and it is good enough for now, as cheap as the chain is I can see just replacing it often to deal with tension issues.

I am pretty pumped about the BW as well, super fun in the mud with the mud lite tires, the only place it feels underpowered is in the sand, but then again no matter what is between my legs I always want more power in sand. the light weight of the 200 is really nice, how much heavier is the 350?

as for getting together, I will be out at jim creek tomorrow if anyone wants to join me they are very welcome.
I am not terribly familiar with the Knik river public use area and got super lost a few times the other day.
I am going to try to be out on the bike as much as possible to keep me from spending money on my other hobbies (cummins turbo diesels are much more expensive to play the power game with)

anywhere local to get bigger footpegs? and any thoughts about moving them forward any? I have a hell of a time keeping my left heel out of the chain without putting the peg in the middle of my arch, while I would rather ride on the balls of my feet.

anyway, just tweaked the idle jet for a little richer mixture off throttle, and it runs so much better now!

hope to see some of you guys tomorrow at the knik river!

-Owen
Old 08-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #508
Cliff h
[IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer: 256
Truckinwagon

I will probably not have the time to go to Jim creek tomorrow. I have some company coming in the early afternoon. I did have a ride planned tomorrow morning at Kincaid MX track to take one of my 350's for a shakedown ride and to take my girls ages 3 and 6 for a few laps around the track (if there are not any races going on tomorrow). If you can wait for jim creek till Sunday, I should be free, or join me for a few laps around the track tomorrow morning. PM your contact information if you are interested.

As far as footpegs go, Yamaha TW 200 footpegs are much larger and more comfortable than the stock ones (at least on a 350). I purchased some el-cheapo TW 200 pegs from ebay that quickly fell apart (look at pictures earlier in the thread). I am looking to get a set of quality pegs from IMS, but they are about $80, which is hard to swallow, but seeing as the consequences could be dire if the cheap pegs break as a less than opportune time, it could be a cheaper investment to pay more for the quality ones. Go Pro on Dowling rd. carries IMS products, but I didn't see any of the ones for the TW 200 (read Bigwheel 350) when I was in there last weekend. I am not sure if the pegs are the same for a 200 vs. a 350, but we could compare the two if you like.

Cliff.

Cliff h screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 10:20 PM
Cliff h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #509
truckinwagen
Adventurer

Yeah, I talked to Go Pro ( I bought my tires from them, super cool fellows) and they didn't have any foot pegs that would work, neither does yamaha.

I am playing with the idea of welding a larger cage around the stock peg, that way I could add more to the front effectively moving the peg forward and away from the jackshaft.

I would like to stop by tomorrow and say hi at the track, but Sunday looks pretty full, unless I spend tomorrow working.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

-Owen
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #510
DEAVER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
So what exactly is the process of maintaining them (The eccentrics) as i hear u say some do at least twice a year.

Intro:

I'm Rod (super experienced ATV rider) from newfoundland, i just sold my 99' Suzuki Dr200 as it was way under my power needs and absolutly useless in our terrain which is very rocky. So i have arrangements to get a BW350 ($2500.00) in what looks like great condition, it's a 87. I have someone picking it up (dirtbike guy who knows his stuff) and bringing it 3000km to me. Should have it 1st week of sept. Never seen a 350 in person, just a 80 when i was much younger/ I've read all the pages in this sub-forum, some interesting comments and pics. You'll be seeing a lot of me in Sept. till then i'll keep reading. Cheers.
DEAVER is offline   Reply With Quote