Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #121
Lab-Kid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
I cleared some brush where the septic leach field is going .....
If you are going to have an aerated septic tank I would provide for an alternative means of aeration before you install it. I found that the motors to the aerators, when installed inside the tank, only last about 2 years and they are expensive (and disgusting) to replace. I rigged up a large aquarium pump and placed it in my basement and ran tubing to the tank. It has been working great for 16 years now.
Lab-Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #122
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Had a reply typed up and then the site appeared to have crashed.

I cleared some brush where the septic leach field is going and got into some ground bees. The whole Yin Yang thing must be working out, because I didn't get stung a single time. Don't know how- they were all over the place.

Today we dug a trench (80 feet) to run power and cable from the meter pedestal into the house. $250 worth of conduit and 3 gallons of sweat later we're all done.

Looks like we're back in the groove.
Dude, it's karma from your hippie friend man. I had one in the yard and the bastards stung me in the back of the head while I was mowing!

Glad you made some progress! Serious humidity this weekend!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #123
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,964
Another good day

So I had to call out sick today from work. I had a terrible migraine and didn't get any sleep last night.

By 7:05 I was feeling much better so I decided to work out at the house.

I took this one picture after some dirt work- you can start to imagine what it'll look like as you pull down the driveway toward the parking area.
From August 14, 2012

Then I poured these walls, so we'll finally be able to make some upward progress. This little laundry room "bump out" has been a huge thorn in our side. Glad it's done. As you can see, I made a bit of a mess. I couldn't get good access to certain parts of the wall with the truck, so I had to do it with 5 gallon buckets. I stopped counting at 25 buckets, but I don't think I did more than 30. No big deal- good workout for the day.

From August 14, 2012

Then I got the well line stretched out, and started dealing with that line where it runs close to the house. A little trench work and it'll be done. (Yes, I'm also running a power line).

From August 14, 2012

And the septic system will start going in tomorrow. I took a before picture:
From August 14, 2012

So we're having some more gravel hauled in, and the driver backed in today, got out of his truck, looked at me and said, "I can tell right now that I fucked up the last delivery." I laughed, told him that I've gotten over it, and that in the big picture it's not a big deal. Wonder where I learned that philosophy from?

Chatted with the GC today- he sounds anxious to get going as his crews are finishing up other projects. Looks like he's gonna send me some help late next week, and that should really help move things along. I'm hoping that we can pour our first floor early next week. Progress.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #124
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,947
Good to see you got over your little rough spot.

I'm enjoying following along on your build, keep it coming.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #125
Going_Commando
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Hey Adam, I am going to be in NH next week and the week after, so I would love to swing up by your place and check it out. I should still have your cell # so I will give you a shout when I am in NH and have some time. The old man shattered his elbow and has a project that has to be done by Sept 7th, so he is paying me gobs of money to fly back to NH to finish it up for him .
Going_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #126
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going_Commando View Post
Hey Adam, I am going to be in NH next week and the week after, so I would love to swing up by your place and check it out. I should still have your cell # so I will give you a shout when I am in NH and have some time. The old man shattered his elbow and has a project that has to be done by Sept 7th, so he is paying me gobs of money to fly back to NH to finish it up for him .
The picture right about this one with my truck and the big rock- stay away from the big rock. Ground bees dude.
Check your PMs -see you when you get here.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #127
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Amazing what you can do with time and money.

I hate to admit it but we decided to hire out the septic system. Turned out to be a great decision.

When he showed up to our disaster zone I asked him if he wanted to do any other work and here's what he did in the last two days:

Built some terraced rock walls just like what we wanted:
From August 22, 2012

And backfilled the entire house so we can drive up to it now:
From August 22, 2012

From August 22, 2012

And what you can't see is that my wife and I ran all the PEX for the heat in our first floor. A series of unfortunate events delayed that pour till next Monday, but we've found things to work on.

Anybody in the area need any site work done? I've got your guy- he's GOOD. Black Hill Site and Septic. Highly recommended- should have hired him to do the whole thing.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #128
crawdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Looks great. Really enjoying the progress. Love your part of the world up there
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #129
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
NICE!!!!!!!!!!! Looks great and progress is being made.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #130
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Labor Day Weekend

I guess this is why they call it labor day. Instead of doing fun things on the day off we'll be working on our house.

With the temporary decking in place for the middle level slab we put down the tubing for the radiant heat. Between the zip ties in the ICFs (we tie every corner) and the zip ties in all 3 slabs, we're pushing 3000 of those things. I dream about zip ties. I can tie them while blindfolded with two hands tied behind my back.
From September 2, 2012

Hey look! This is gonna be better than an out house!
From September 2, 2012

And then we poured the slab. You tube time lapse video to follow. I like this video better; my wife is working on it right now. We had my wife and her father to help with this slab, which made things easier than the basement slab. One more slightly smaller slab to go!
From September 2, 2012

Later that afternoon the slab was cured enough to walk on, so we started building the walls and placing door and window bucks.
From September 2, 2012

And the walls grew.
From September 2, 2012

And now they're ready to pour. The ICF guy told me that behind his own ICF house, ours is the most complex he's done. He said most people he's worked for think simple- rectangles and small windows. To get around the main part of our house we have 10 corner pieces and 2 "T's." We also have 3 different ceiling heights on the main level to work with, and two parts of it don't go up to the 3rd story. He said he figures 1 man hour for every 3 ICF blocks. This includes building them, placing rebar, setting bracing, pouring, and taking down bracing. We have just under 800 blocks in this structure, so think 270 man hours to build this shell- not including the steel truss flooring system on 2 levels, the basement slab, and the footings (LOTS of steps and two separate footing pours). Here's what it looks like now:
From September 2, 2012

So we've got one more floor system to assemble, run the heat tubing, build some knee walls for the top story and we'll be ready to hand this over to the GC to put a roof on it and finish it up. I can't wait! I've had enough of this and we're nowhere near done! Probably just too much going on right now. And my wife is a Saint for putting up with me.

And who needs two excavators anyways?
From September 2, 2012
Old 09-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #131
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,736
Will there be room (and side clearance) for me to get a 40' class A RV up the drive way when you're done?

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #132
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Bear View Post
Will there be room (and side clearance) for me to get a 40' class A RV up the drive way when you're done?
It's a little tight, but I'm sure it would fit. If you look at the little "road" in the last picture that heads left toward the newer excavator- we're thinking of leaving that as a "stub" for a place to push snow, park an extra vehicle, etc. I'll go ahead and make it 40 feet just for you. And you'll have easy access to the septic tank from there.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 AM   #133
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

And another youtube video:
Old 09-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #134
adam_c_eckhardt OP
done with Chemistry!

Poured the walls today. Nothing went smooth, but in the end everything turned out well.

It rained the entire time- just enough to completely soak through every article of clothing (including boots- holy shit do I hate wet socks and wet boots).

The pump truck operator did a nice job and we seemed to get a good mix from the plant. We had 3 trucks for a total of 24 yards.

Right toward the end of the pour we had a minor blow out. NOT a huge deal, but it was a pain in the ass to fix. Just a minor oversight on my part. Live and learn. Rubbed my fingers raw getting it fixed (ICF guy's fingers look worse than mine!).

And then something weird happened- it set up FAST. We had a bitch of a time truing up the walls and finishing the tops. We didn't even get to put in rebar for the next level- couldn't get it in. We'll have to drill for it. I don't know why it set up the way it did, but it was completely unworkable after 1.5 hours. With all the other pours we had an easy and relaxed 3 hours of finishing time. Oh well. I'm lucky to have the ICF guy around- I would have been screwed on my own!

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The GC takes over soon and we have less responsibilities at that point.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #135
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,743
Sounds like the mix got hot in the truck for some reason. He didn't have to wait to pour did he ? We use to have drivers that would spin the crap out of the mixer while waiting on a pour. They didn't last long. Enjoying following along on your build ,looks like it is going to make a great home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: