Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #256
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Elmer--

Just stumbled on this thread today. Don't know how I missed it since I've been laid up for a week with a summer flu and nothing to do but cruze ADV.

Anyway, your report once again confirms my desire to never go motorcycling east of the Mississippi. Though I'm thinking now of moving the demarcation line west to Denver.

Glad to see the rig didn't give you any problems. After reading Mighty Matt's troubles in S.A. with his BigBoi rig I was starting to fear that these big GS hacks are too delicate for long distance trips (apologies to MikePa, but we all can't be superhuman!)

Thanks for the trip report and the vids. Hope the trip home was enjoyable.

--Droney
Aye Droney..

Fear not, these BMW/DMC or CSM rigs do just fine, as long as you don't make it too "big" with the likes of Matt's BigBoy--and that the attachments are purely to and from the builders subframe > mainframe, nothing shared from the OEM engines bolts. nuts, pans, etc. There is nothing delicate, really...damn tough engine. Just make sure that you most often aim the bike through the easier pathway and basically forget the sidecar, let it bounce around. Do take heed with your speed. Of course have greater shocks on the bike and carry a spare shock for the sidecar, just in case. Oh, yes, I carried the kitchen sink, had just about everything to fix my outfit as well could provide road assistance to those solo riders if needed. Carried a total of 11.5 gallons gasoline and a full case of water...so I was on the heavy side..thus the slipping of going up hill on heavy rocky ascends. Go for it...do the TAT! By the way the Vredesteins 165/15 have served me very well...I am sure Matt can attest to that...so all ya guys..get em' while you can. Don't leave home without them.

Cheers..

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 10:07 AM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #257
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Although I have a rig totally different from yours, I too will go well prepared with extra fuel, extra water, and plenty of tools and a good repair manual too. I have only had this Goldwing/Hannigan sidecar setup for about 2 months and have not done alot to it. Only big mod was to add a car tire to the rear on the bike. My ride will be about 6,500 miles, leaving in 5 days.

We are pretty heavy, I started figuring out the weights involved, bike, sidecar, trailer. By the time we add our stuff plus us, I figure about 2,300 lbs.....wow. This is our honeymoon trip.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #258
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Although I have a rig totally different from yours, I too will go well prepared with extra fuel, extra water, and plenty of tools and a good repair manual too. I have only had this Goldwing/Hannigan sidecar setup for about 2 months and have not done alot to it. Only big mod was to add a car tire to the rear on the bike. My ride will be about 6,500 miles, leaving in 5 days.

We are pretty heavy, I started figuring out the weights involved, bike, sidecar, trailer. By the time we add our stuff plus us, I figure about 2,300 lbs.....wow. This is our honeymoon trip.
Happy HoneyMoon..guys...go for it..I did Alaska at #1400...ate a rear Metzeler Tourance every 3000 miles.

That was then and this is now: car tire... Good choice of having put a car tire in the rear. Mine is a Vredestein 165/15 and so far has 7000 miles on it with hardly any wear. Your GW's 6cyl will do fine...but I am sure gas mileage will suffer..heck it's a honeymoon's adventure, who cares. Ride safe, ride far..

Cheers....

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 11:37 AM
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #259
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,334
Hey Elmer, thanks for calling while you were in Colorado and sorry I missed you. Next time you want to try Cinnamon I will run it with you on my GS rig, the Ural is just too easy.

Sometimes a TKC 80 on the spare rim does come in handy but I have yet to need it.

Great ride report and congratulations on making it to Colorado.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #260
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDR View Post
Hey Elmer, thanks for calling while you were in Colorado and sorry I missed you. Next time you want to try Cinnamon I will run it with you on my GS rig, the Ural is just too easy.

Sometimes a TKC 80 on the spare rim does come in handy but I have yet to need it.

Great ride report and congratulations on making it to Colorado.
Sorry I missed you too..I knew you were onto the Rallyes. Always next time.

Cheers...
Old 08-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #261
DirtyDR
Dana

Oddometer: 2,334
Once again the timing didn't work out between us. You get that Eurovan and come through these parts let me know, I have an all wheel drive Astro that I use as a camper and I can show you some good places to go with the vans also. If you still have the sidecar next Spring then there is always the U.S.C.A. National in Arkansas also.
99 Rokon Ranger
71 Rokon RT140

Hack'n the TLH
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592860

http://dirtydr.smugmug.com/

Proud Member of the Patrol Patrol
DirtyDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #262
ADHD
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Another fantastic report! I live in Leland myself and see you out on that gorgeous rig every once in a while. Can't wait to read next one!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #263
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHD View Post
Another fantastic report! I live in Leland myself and see you out on that gorgeous rig every once in a while. Can't wait to read next one!
Hi ADHD

Thank you for reading my Ride Report and wishing for my next one, however I have "been there, done that"..and passed my rig to someone else who will continue his/her travels on 'Brunhilde'.....

Life goes on, down the next Horizon

Old 08-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #264
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Aye Droney..

Fear not, these BMW/DMC or CSM rigs do just fine, as long as you don't make it too "big" with the likes of Matt's BigBoy--and that the attachments are purely to and from the builders subframe > mainframe, nothing shared from the OEM engines bolts. nuts, pans, etc. There is nothing delicate, really...damn tough engine. Just make sure that you most often aim the bike through the easier pathway and basically forget the sidecar, let it bounce around. Do take heed with your speed. Of course have greater shocks on the bike and carry a spare shock for the sidecar, just in case. Oh, yes, I carried the kitchen sink, had just about everything to fix my outfit as well could provide road assistance to those solo riders if needed. Carried a total of 11.5 gallons gasoline and a full case of water...so I was on the heavy side..thus the slipping of going up hill on heavy rocky ascends. Go for it...do the TAT! By the way the Vredesteins 165/15 have served me very well...I am sure Matt can attest to that...so all ya guys..get em' while you can. Don't leave home without them.

Cheers..
i figure i ought to weigh in a little bit on this seeing as i was mentioned.

i only have experience with CSM rigs (i don't believe i've ever even seen one from Jay) but ours is pretty freaking tough. we did have a few issues as we had a HEAVY "touring" rig built as opposed to a more DS style rig, this is largely our fault. we've actually already been in contact with Claude and are planning on doing some mods that will definitely make a difference. as far as the bike goes, however - the fact that our 1200 has tugged along a seriously heavy rig along these roads with only one issue of an oil leak (due to a shared engine bolt with the subframe of the sidecar)... i'm blown away. nothing but impressed with the BMW.

as elmer said, knowing your rig and having the correct tools is most of the battle. plus, being able to plan for your particular riding style before-hand is huge - something we failed to do down here in SA.

any rig is going to have a few hiccups given tough circumstances, but my view is that i spent the money to beat the crap out of it on an adventure. the TAT is waiting!
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #265
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,130
Hey Elmer.

I have been kinda busy recently, but I just found your Ride Report.
Good for you to having gotten some miles under your wheels.

Stay well friend.
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #266
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Hey Elmer.

I have been kinda busy recently, but I just found your Ride Report.
Good for you to having gotten some miles under your wheels.

Stay well friend.
Q~
Yo.... busy as a bee !? Questor...of course been following you too although you did so many ride reports, I got lost.

Used your "tracks" on the Eastern TAT but had to update with Sam the newer Colorado tracks. Yep, got plenty of miles under the Hack for now and would like to finish the Western TAT via solo bike instead of diverting too many tracks on the 60" wide Hack. Since the Hack is now in different hands I have yet to contemplate what's up my sleeve with finishing the bucket list of rides: Western TAT; CDT(CDR); Baie St. James before I hang up my boots.

cheers..
Old 08-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #267
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post
i figure i ought to weigh in a little bit on this seeing as i was mentioned.

i only have experience with CSM rigs (i don't believe i've ever even seen one from Jay) but ours is pretty freaking tough. we did have a few issues as we had a HEAVY "touring" rig built as opposed to a more DS style rig, this is largely our fault. we've actually already been in contact with Claude and are planning on doing some mods that will definitely make a difference. as far as the bike goes, however - the fact that our 1200 has tugged along a seriously heavy rig along these roads with only one issue of an oil leak (due to a shared engine bolt with the subframe of the sidecar)... i'm blown away. nothing but impressed with the BMW.

as elmer said, knowing your rig and having the correct tools is most of the battle. plus, being able to plan for your particular riding style before-hand is huge - something we failed to do down here in SA.

any rig is going to have a few hiccups given tough circumstances, but my view is that i spent the money to beat the crap out of it on an adventure. the TAT is waiting!
Hola Mattie and Team...

Glad you chimed in...and remember this was no criticism regarding your "BigBoy's" girth, just an analysis of some consequence when one goes pretty "big" and heavy although doable! Glad you mentioned the durability and ruggedness of the machine as many want to do the same with the Ural ?? One guy just mentioned about hauling a #576 trailer behind the Ural and I nixed the idea. You have be now learned the ropes with what works and what does not work too well...you're experienced offroad travelers now...we seek your opinion...You both been on the Ural from Texas > Inuvik, NWT > Texas..now BMW to SA and back. Book writing quality and photography beyond imagination...wooo...You've been guinea pigs for all Sidecar manufacturers..what works and what doesn't they emulate...We all on ADV and the Hack naive congratulate you both on such an endeavor.

Then for the rest, stay healthy, safe and give your Kristen a from me!

Cheers, ELMER
Old 08-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #268
VespaMamma
Shutterbug

Oddometer: 54
Cry Saying goodbye is hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Hi ADHD

Thank you for reading my Ride Report and wishing for my next one, however I have "been there, done that"..and passed my rig to someone else who will continue his/her travels on 'Brunhilde'.....

Life goes on, down the next Horizon

My life with Elmer has been one big adventure!! What a great ride we've had. I've been asked what it is like to ride in the hack. I will say that it takes a little getting used to after all I was used to riding as a pillion, however, having complete trust and faith in Elmer as a ride partner, I had no problems and what a wonderful ride it has been!! Did I cry when we put the bike up for sale.....YES!! ...like he said...we're onto another adventure. I highly doubt Elmer will be without a 2-wheeler so keep your eyes posted. Thank you all for sticking with us. It's been fantastic reading everyone's adventure, small or big!!

Shutterbug
2005 Vespa
VespaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #269
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
It looks like you had a fun trip. There TAT trips always grab my attention. It sounds like some of the TAT route must run thru some of the same area in Nevada that I have been exploring the last couple summers.

Colorado look beautiful.

Thank you for sharing your journey.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote