Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #91
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
136 km/h indicated @ 9850 rpm on the dyno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrHa3...3&feature=plcp
After seeing the lane splitting video hope he has his Life Insurance paid up.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #92
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,698
I'm 6' 240, and I'm dead set on getting a PCX150. I have a Vino 125 and a Stella 2 stroke. I fit fine on both. The PCX feels ok to me. I have to have at least 150cc, as I plan on touring on it (I have 15,000+ highway miles on the Vino) and while I don't plan on riding on the freeway much, I have found that it is often necessary to ride on the freeway to get from one state to another. I have done so on the Vino 125, which I have ridden in 4 states, just never gotten busted by the cops. The PCX150 will solve that issue, and it has a lot more storage room. I plan on getting a Givi top case for it as well, something I couldn't do with the Vino, because the gas filler is right under the rack.

I for one am glad the U.S. version does not have the engine cutoff feature. It is something else to go wrong, and I would not want to be sitting at a red light with a dead engine. It would also put a lot more wear on the starter/alternator. I plan to ride this thing hard, so gas mileage is not that big of a deal for me. I have always gotten way less mileage on my Vino than others claim, but it has been ridden at wide open throttle it's entire life. Getting a small scooter over something like a Burgman 400 will save me a fortune in gas. I first wanted the Burgman, until I found out about the all day valve adjustment procedure, and decided I wanted something to ride rather than work on. I maintain my own bikes, they never see a dealer after I leave with them. Valve adjustment on the Vino takes under 15 minutes.

I can get a brand new PCX150 here in Phoenix for $4199 OTD, and Phoenix is well known for their ripoff dealers. I was expecting closer to $5000. The price was the final determining factor for me. We have 9.9% sales tax here, which means that $350 of that is sales tax.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #93
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I'm 6' 240, and I'm dead set on getting a PCX150. I have a Vino 125 and a Stella 2 stroke. I fit fine on both. The PCX feels ok to me.
Givi makes a couple nice windshields for the PCX and it is not a big deal for the upholstery shop to remove the hump on the seat so a tall rider can sit farther back. There is also a useful feet forward, cruiser position available from the practical design of the running boards. I get my PCX150 on Thursday and can ride 80 miles round trip to work on Saturday. Back country roads with a 3 mile highway blast at the end to check top speed. At $3500 it should be a good compromise in price, weight, and occasional super highway use for someone that wants an aoutomatic trans. The next step up is a big jump in price and weight to the $7000 Suzuki or Yamaha. The Kymco Downtown 300i is probably pretty nice for $5600.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #94
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warney View Post
136 km/h indicated @ 9850 rpm on the dyno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrHa3...3&feature=plcp
After seeing the lane splitting video hope he has his Life Insurance paid up.
People who split like that deserve whatever they get.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #95
Hardguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Givi makes a couple nice windshields for the PCX and it is not a big deal for the upholstery shop to remove the hump on the seat so a tall rider can sit farther back. There is also a useful feet forward, cruiser position available from the practical design of the running boards. I get my PCX150 on Thursday and can ride 80 miles round trip to work on Saturday. Back country roads with a 3 mile highway blast at the end to check top speed. At $3500 it should be a good compromise in price, weight, and occasional super highway use for someone that wants an aoutomatic trans. The next step up is a big jump in price and weight to the $7000 Suzuki or Yamaha. The Kymco Downtown 300i is probably pretty nice for $5600.
Hmmm, I don't know if you should really test for top speed before your PCX is properly broken it. I know I wouldn't.
Hardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #96
GetYourOwn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Just finished second tank of gas got to 104 miles before I ran it dry. For some reason I though I had a 1.8 gallon tank. Turns out it is 1.56 so it looks like 66mpg for me. That was running it wide open at 60-65 mph.

Hope both the speed and the mpg improve as time goes by. Speed already has. When I got the bike 55mph was top speed. Now I can hit an indicated 65 if the road is flat which is probably about 60 in real life. Just need about 5 more mph and maybe 10-20 more mpg.
GetYourOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #97
sendler
Studly Adventurer

I rode my new PCX150 around some tonight and I am very happy with it. I normally ride a CBR250R which is a great high speed minimal touring bike but I also wanted a super light automatic to teach people how to ride on and the zero down financing made it easy for them to hook me again.
Have you ever noticed how when you switch bikes, it is easy to pick out the things the new bike doesn't do as well as the first bike? Well I'm not noticing too much wrong with the PCX. It is pretty dialed in all in all, especially the PCX150 which is quite a bit quicker than the 125 I rode las week. I also think the seat slants you forward less. I may not even end up modding it much. It is that much faster than the 125. There is a strange freedom from thought riding a low powered, super light automatic. floor it and follow the road. Below 10 mph the small wheels are a bit too quick to turn in but once up to speed the PCX feels very well balanced. No head shake or wobs. The combined brakes stop nice and even. and it even looks cool enough that people don't automatically dismiss it as a scooter.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #98
Kmart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I added the Givi screen and topbox to my PCX and I'm pretty happy with the results. This is the smaller screen from Givi. They also have a bigger version that looks a bit goofy IMO. The scooter looks more substantial with the bigger screen and provides extra wind protection to the chest. I'm still getting pretty much the same amount of air in the face and that's OK with me. Pictures were taken at work. Notice the dedicated motorcycle parking area close to the entrance, nice feature. Here's a few pics:

Kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #99
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,345
Very nice scooter.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:06 PM   #100
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart View Post
I added the Givi screen and topbox to my PCX and I'm pretty happy with the results. This is the smaller screen from Givi.
I am considering the same screen. Did you find it to increase the wind noise?
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #101
Kmart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I am considering the same screen. Did you find it to increase the wind noise?
Didn't notice any extra noise. The only concern is that I have the handlebars tilted forward for extra cockpit room and the mirrors were hitting the screen. I ended up adjusting the mirrors a bit and that solved the problem. The mirrors are still usable but I lost a bit of visibility. I may consider replacing the stock mirrors with something else using a longer stem at some point but I'm just riding it as it is for now.
Kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #102
ExTex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
They sell mirror extenders for a price. They extend and raise the mirrors.
If all you want is to extend the mirrors, you can make your own extenders.

Buy some 1"x1/4" aluminum bar stock (uusually 1 or 2 ft long).
Cut a couple of 2.5" pieces. Drill an appropriate sized hole near each end of the piece.

Buy metric nuts, lock and flat washers and bolts. Use the bolts to mount the Al pieces to the original mirror mounts.
Use the washers and nuts to mount the mirrors to the other end of the Al. pieces.

If you care, you can round the corners of the pieces with a sander and spray paint them black.

Scoot safely,
1985 Sabre 700.......Sold
1983 Shadow 500.... sold
2006 Ninja 500........ sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #103
sendler
Studly Adventurer

I took my son out on the PCX150 last night. He is really big at 6'1, 270 lbs./ 120kg. I started him on my Honda CBR250R and he seemed to be doing ok in the parking lot but that bike would need a taller seat to fit him well so I bought a used Ninja650 so that he could have something that was cross country, super highway capable, as I am on my 250. We had spent the entire spring trying to get him skilled enough to ride but the Ninja was just too big and heavy and slow to turn in that he never felt confident enough to make the transition to actually riding on the open roads.
Enter the PCX. Believe it or not, he fits really well on the bike and it doesn't look at all out of proportion. I removed the seat hump and covered the holes with tape for now until I can do something better and rotated the bars forward so now there is plenty of room for him.
He took to it immediately. It is amazing how much easier the PCX is to ride. We ride bicycles together often so he was familiar with traffic law and etiquette but was always having trouble making the corners on the Ninja and could never get relaxed. The PCX is a breeze. 20 minutes of parking lot and side roads and he was ready to get right along with light, evening traffic with a skilled rider in front and another behind. For the speeds up to 40 mph/ 65 kph that we are using so far around town, the 150 has plenty of power and gearing to move a large rider effortlessly, even up the bigger hills. He said he was rarely using more than 20% throttle.
The seat will need some major reshaping to eliminate the tendency to slide you forward and then the PCX will be perfect transportation for him.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #104
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart View Post
I added the Givi screen and topbox to my PCX
Which Givi trunk and mount are those. Do you remember the model numbers? They look perfect on the bike.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #105
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Took a ride in the country today. The PCX150 will easily cruise 55 mph/ 90 kph all day long. I also rode two miles up and back on a gravel road which it handled with complete ease. The ultra low center of gravity of a scooter makes it totally stable. Not at all squirrely on the loose stone. Much better than either of my 250 motorcycles.