User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
R80 g/s vs ST

If you wanted to convert an R80 ST into a g/s do you simply add a g/s rear shock or are the mounting tabs on the frame different?

Thank you,
Aaron
Old 10-18-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
BlackHoof
REMF

Oddometer: 244
ST Conv.

I may be wrong, but I think the ST had the front end that was used on
the R65, & used different sized rims than the GS. I had a '83 ST that I
put 100k miles on, & loved it. If it were me, I would sell the ST & find a
good GS instead of dumping big $$$'s into the ST. My .02. Good Luck!
BlackHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHoof
I may be wrong, but I think the ST had the front end that was used on
the R65, & used different sized rims than the GS. I had a '83 ST that I
put 100k miles on, & loved it. If it were me, I would sell the ST & find a
good GS instead of dumping big $$$'s into the ST. My .02. Good Luck!
Hey Hoof, yea I was planning on just buying a g/s, but they command such a big buck in the market. Honestly, the first thing I would do is ditch the stock g/s fork and replace it with a WP unit, and the rear for works unit anyway.
I thought I could just find an ST for $2000-2500 less, and use the difference to upgrade. With a stock WP front fork from a KTM, I also get a much better front brake set up. If I did all that to a g/s I'm pretty sure the purists might be upset.

Aaron
Old 10-18-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
ST to G/S

Hi Aaron,

Your idea will work fine. I have two ST's and the mainframe and subframes are the same as the G/S. The monoshock mounts are the same on both bikes so the shorter ST shock can be replaced with a longer better aftermarket G/S shock no problem. Blackhoof is right about the front end, but that is not an issue if you replace it. The power train is the same with the ST having the same motor, tranny, single sided swingarm, driveshaft and three bolt 37/11 final drive as the G/S. Both bikes take the same rear rack and bagframes although the ST is chrome and the G/S uses the easier to weld and paint black. Crashbars are the same deal. Same part with the ST chrome, G/S black. Use the same speedo but the ST nacelle is different and includes the tach that is lacking on the stock G/S. The ST has chrome handlebars and the G/S has wider reinforced bars. Same wiring harness and switchgear. It's a sweet bike and is underappreciated. I have put 100K on one and the other has 50K. Have taken them down some pretty gnarly roads in Baja and up to Alaska and pounded them on gravel backroads down towards Guatemala. Maybe with a better front end the ST would be better on rutted jeep trails, mud, deep sand or single track. I'm too cheap. It works fine for me stock on logging roads, gravel backroads, Baja, and smooth riding down the paved sections in between.
My only caution would be to not dump too much money into a frankenbike unless you have the disease that has no cure. A lightly used well set up KLR will do the same thing you want for about the same money. Just not as smoothly.

Best,
John
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #5
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
If you wanted to convert an R80 ST into a g/s do you simply add a g/s rear shock
Add to that for dirt performance -

The front forks/brake/wheel is different.

Wider and braced handlebar.

You may find the side stand and centre stands are of different length too?

The sump is smaller (higher ground clearance) with a bash plate on the G/S.

Add to that for cosmetics

Front headlight/instrument panel

--- As there are fewer STs around than G/Ses I'd think you'd be better off waiting for a G/S to turn up than a ST.

Ps - the purists can go buy the bike too if they want to 'preserve' it.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #6
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns
Hi Aaron,

Your idea will work fine. I have two ST's and the mainframe and subframes are the same as the G/S. The monoshock mounts are the same on both bikes so the shorter ST shock can be replaced with a longer better aftermarket G/S shock no problem. Blackhoof is right about the front end, but that is not an issue if you replace it. The power train is the same with the ST having the same motor, tranny, single sided swingarm, driveshaft and three bolt 37/11 final drive as the G/S. Both bikes take the same rear rack and bagframes although the ST is chrome and the G/S uses the easier to weld and paint black. Crashbars are the same deal. Same part with the ST chrome, G/S black. Use the same speedo but the ST nacelle is different and includes the tach that is lacking on the stock G/S. The ST has chrome handlebars and the G/S has wider reinforced bars. Same wiring harness and switchgear. It's a sweet bike and is underappreciated. I have put 100K on one and the other has 50K. Have taken them down some pretty gnarly roads in Baja and up to Alaska and pounded them on gravel backroads down towards Guatemala. Maybe with a better front end the ST would be better on rutted jeep trails, mud, deep sand or single track. I'm too cheap. It works fine for me stock on logging roads, gravel backroads, Baja, and smooth riding down the paved sections in between.
My only caution would be to not dump too much money into a frankenbike unless you have the disease that has no cure. A lightly used well set up KLR will do the same thing you want for about the same money. Just not as smoothly.

Best,
John
Thanks John for the words of wisdom! I own a KTM 640 ADV for trail beating, so the g/s would be for commuting and longer trips into the bush.
My goal is to ride to Alaska on a boxer before I turn 40 and the older g/s is my first choice. Like you said, the ST's are under appreciated, and fortunately(for me) priced accordingly.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 10-18-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
Add to that for dirt performance -

The front forks/brake/wheel is different.

Wider and braced handlebar.

You may find the side stand and centre stands are of different length too?

The sump is smaller (higher ground clearance) with a bash plate on the G/S.

Add to that for cosmetics

Front headlight/instrument panel

--- As there are fewer STs around than G/Ses I'd think you'd be better off waiting for a G/S to turn up than a ST.

Ps - the purists can go buy the bike too if they want to 'preserve' it.
Hi frank,

I found 2 ST's for sale that are priced very reasonably compared to all the g/s's I've been looking at. I found a g/s n germany for $2100, but eh shipping will be a killer.......

Aaron
Old 10-18-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
JDowns
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
[QUOTE]Thanks John for the words of wisdom! I own a KTM 640 ADV for trail beating, so the g/s would be for commuting and longer trips into the bush.
My goal is to ride to Alaska on a boxer before I turn 40 and the older g/s is my first choice. Like you said, the ST's are under appreciated, and fortunately(for me) priced accordingly.
/QUOTE]

Hi Aaron,

Yes, you have the incurable disease I was refering to. The GSified ST sounds like the perfect project bike for your needs. Inexpensive to buy, easy to get parts for, and plenty of nice folks to help with questions you might have both on this list and the airheads list on micapeak. The R80G/S and ST are both fine bikes that are relatively easy to work on. I think you'll have fun with it!
People in other threads are lamenting not being able to find a decent smooth twin dual sport under 400 lbs. and 10K dollars. We'll keep this our little secret, m'kay?

Cheers,
John
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #9
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Yup