Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Shmandy OP
Fat guy riding!

Oddometer: 50
NUVI waterproof question

I have looked in multiple reviews and topic searches and still cannot find this answer!!!

I am looking at buying a NUVI 550 or Zumo 220, I just cant seem to tell if they are only waterproof when running on batteries??? Can you have then plugged in and still maintain the waterproof nature? is there a special plug that has some sort of gasket seal that keeps the power port on the unit from rusting or getting all screwed up? will the regular cord be fine?? Help

THANKS

-Give a man a match, and he値l be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he値l be warm for the rest of his life
Shmandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
Shmandy OP
Fat guy riding!

Really?? Nobody has experience
With this?

-Give a man a match, and he値l be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he値l be warm for the rest of his life
Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
not the answer you are looking for

Get whatever GPS you want. Just carry a sandwhich bag and an elastic band and you have a water resistent unit. It's very cost effective, and short of being underwater, it works!!
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,848
I have a NUVI 500. The plug just has a rubber cover that really does not make it anymore waterproof if it is not on. The only problem I have had is some green corrosion in the receptacle. This was cleaned off easy. I would say the submersion rating is either way. Mine did die after three years. $99 to replace.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 08:19 PM
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I have a Nuvi 550. It also has a rubber gasket and I haven't had problems with corrosion on connectors.

It has a usb connector for power - so I suspect that over time it can become corroded.
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
Shmandy OP
Fat guy riding!

Appreciate it! I've got mine on order and just was worried as I do ride in rain a moderate amount and didn't know if I always had to disconnect it and run on batteries during those times.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I reckon you'll be fine. Low voltage stuff usually doesn't mind a bit of water.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
joeoldbmwrider
oldjoe

Oddometer: 10
Zumo 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmandy View Post
I have looked in multiple reviews and topic searches and still cannot find this answer!!!

I am looking at buying a NUVI 550 or Zumo 220, I just cant seem to tell if they are only waterproof when running on batteries??? Can you have then plugged in and still maintain the waterproof nature? is there a special plug that has some sort of gasket seal that keeps the power port on the unit from rusting or getting all screwed up? will the regular cord be fine?? Help

THANKS
Zumo 220 is waterproof whether on batteries or powered. Have 1 no problems wet or dry
joeoldbmwrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
Short answer, yes and no.

If the USB outlet has it's cover on you can submerge the unit.

If you have the power cable plugged it and it is mounted in the GARMIN cradle then water should not get to the plug as the Garmin cradle covers the plug.

If you are using a RAM cradle (slightly different) then the plug and cable are exposed to the elements. More so on a naked bike.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #10
srferrin
GS-Obsessed

Oddometer: 15
Ram Mounts AquaBox

Ram Mounts makes the AquaBox series of mountable cases. They are waterproof, allow you to add a lock for security, have a port for power/headphones, and best of all, allow full screen touch operation. Great for making the cheaper Nuvi series waterproof. Also work real well with iPods and iPhones. The screen on the box allows touch sensitivity on the i-devices.
Ram Mounts are super secure and I've never had one loosen or break.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by srferrin View Post
Ram Mounts makes the AquaBox series of mountable cases. They are waterproof, allow you to add a lock for security, have a port for power/headphones, and best of all, allow full screen touch operation. Great for making the cheaper Nuvi series waterproof. Also work real well with iPods and iPhones. The screen on the box allows touch sensitivity on the i-devices.
The Ram Aqua boxes heat up really seriously in the sun. And the touchscreen is such a sticky material that using a gps inside the box was frustrating. I bought two and sold them almost immediately since they were useless to me.

YMMV, but I hated them.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Umarth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
to prevent the connectors from rusting and will also act as a water barrier, you can fill the connector (female) with dielectric grease.

In my case, the gps unit never comes off the bike it's pretty much a fire and forget thing. if you take the gps off the bike and grease it more often.
Umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #13
dmottv
Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by srferrin View Post
I've been using a Ram AquaBox with a Nuvi 750 for a few years. It's a good way to waterproof the Nuvi. The flexscreen works well with gloves on, though it gets abit dirty when riding off the beaten path. I wash it in the sink with dish detergent, rinse, and it's good to go. I have Ram ball mounts on all my bikes, and swap the Aquabox between them. If you don't have a waterproof gps, the Aquabox is a good solution until you can get one. YMMV.

dmottv is offline   Reply With Quote